“Great atmosphere, good food. Pleasant staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 360 Restaurants in York
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Great atmosphere, good food. Pleasant staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am not exactly known for going out so driving past this place it was intimidating as it always appeared packed (full of people.. From breakfast til late night this place is buzzing with people.

But I was very pleasantly surprised by the comfortable atmosphere available, the great quality in food, and the excellent service by our bartender.

Atmosphere- Coming in from the main entrance on the corner of Philadelphia and Beaver streets, you walk into the main bar, also where the hosts will greet you if you wish to be seated for eating at a table or booth surrounding the bar much like a Chilis or Applebee's. There is also ample sitting area around the edges of the restaurant for outdoor enjoyment which they keep clear covers around in the colder months so you could still see outside while remaining warm. Then if you walk straight back from the previously mentioned main door, you will find the midsection of the restaurant which is all booths. Then turn left past the booths and you will find doors to the back room, bathrooms, and the smoking areas of the bar. It is difficult to miss if you have never been there. This is the actual bar part of the restaurant, it is also where you go to escape the loud cafeteria like ambience. This area has a jukebox which folks keep running non stop, a bar, and some couches in a more private section ideal for groups. I love that section although you should keep in mind eventually a singer set up a stage area right behind us and performed through the night. I did not mind at all.

The food- great quality, great taste, fair portion. Nice plating and overall appearance. A bit pricy as it matches up with an Applebee's bill minus the two sides and free refills. But it was fair enough and the quality of food and service in addition to the comfortable, laid back atmosphere ensured I would not leave feeling I was getting less than my money's worth. A sandwich will run you $8 with a bag of chips. $2 extra for fries instead of chips. Most mixed drinks are $4.50-$4.75. Beer pitcher specials as well(not sure of price).

Service- Our bartender was fantastic, courteous, attentive, professional. They let you order food at any bar and eat it anywhere. We ordered from our bartender and enjoyed our food on the couches. He even beat some of us to it and came out to grab our plates. What bartender do you expect that kind of service from? Also, we had a situation where one in our party was under 21 and apparently you are not allowed in that back area unless over 21, he handled the situation as gently, pleasant and professional as I could ever ask for. He could've ruined our night as we had just arrived and it was our first time there. He instead made it a great experience and lasting impression. Very appreciative.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Dtown
“Decent food long wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The food was pretty good but did not justify the wait time. Burgers are a safe bet, anything else was not as good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, Pennsylvania
“Modern restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

White Rose Bar and Grill is on the corner of Philadelphia and Beaver Street, within walking distance of the Philadelphia parking garage and the free parking lot at the York Rail Trail. Within the last few years, there has been renovations to every part of the restaurant, which has made the restaurant one of the more modern restaurants in town.

The food and drink has also had an upgrade since the renovations. The beer and wine selection is now bigger, with some local beers on tap (York has two breweries). The food menu is extensive, with a focus on seafood both white fish and shellfish. There is also a wide variety of other food - burgers, chicken, turkey, salads, etc. There is something for everyone and I say that being a very picky eater.

I also like the vibe of this restaurant. York is a city of industry and above the bar is a large industrial sculpture. Along the walls of the bar and seating area behind the bar are large paintings of York City scenes. There are several outdoor areas that are open year-round, heated in the winter and enclosed by plastic so you can still see the street. There aren't many restaurants in town that have the same feel to it. I believe it will appeal to people in the 20s to people in their 60s.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Not that impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Parking can be extremely difficult here, as it is in downtown York City. The menu is big but I found the food to be rather bland. I got a bacon cheeseburger and it just didn't impress me. I know my counterparts who dined with me that evening did enjoy their meals though. Perhaps it was just an off night for a burger? I will probably check it out again sometime, but I am certainly am in no major rush to do so.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“Consistently delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

No matter how busy the White Rose gets, we have always had consistently good service and food. Great menu options, awesome drink and food specials, and good portion sizes. I especially recommend half-priced burgers on Sunday! The atmosphere is great - you can choose between the bar, high tops, patio, outdoor dining, and restaurant section. Unfortunately, the hostesses always seem to be rude, but the serving staff has been excellent every time. Highly recommend the White Rose for dates and groups of friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Food