“What a Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in York
Montclair, VA
“What a Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I'm in York a couple of times each year and usually stay at either the Holiday Inn Conference Center on Youcks Road (because that's where the events I attend are usually held) or the Red Roof Inn because it's near one of my favorite diners, the Round the Clock. But . . . last trip I some how screwed up my reservation and it was late when I arrived. Everything was booked at both places because of some Toy Train Convention, so i had to hunt for a room. I checked all the places along Route 30, but they were full too. I decided to eat at the Round the Clock Diner to figure out what I was going to do and when I pulled into the parking lot, I saw a sign for the Econo Lodge point up the hill behind the restaurant and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

The Econo Lodge had a vacancy, probably because it is hard to see from the road. The motel looks like an old Howard Johnson place, but has been recently remodeled. The room I had was not just nice and clean, but it was actually attractively furnished and had a surprisingly upscale bath. Everything worked fine and the there was a refrigerator in the room to boot. Not something I expect with a cheap place stay . . . and it was cheap.

The only drawbacks that I could see were that the place does seem a little remote and the parking lot is pretty dark. Also, while the rooms are all on interior corridors, the access to those corridors isn't secured by a room key lock. I'm not sure that I'd be all that comfortable staying here if I was a single female.

But for me, it's now has moved into second place on my 'to stay' list after the Holiday Inn and Conference Center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

i have been to this hotel a few times now that it has been a very pleasent and happy experience i enjoy the new managment they are very friendly and accomidate you to the fullest to make sure your stay with them is excellent. i would recommend that you go and stay at this hotel if you are looking for somewhere to stay for a day two days or more they have an outdoor pool which is big and great for families with children i have two smal children and they love to get into the pool the hotel is cleaned daily and i have not found anything wrong so far i can say that the overall experience for the econo lodge is great if you have not stayed with them please go and check it out they have very cheap prices for quality service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
York, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

First off let me say check in wasn't til 3:00 and they let me check in early.. the motel is under new management and I must say its cleaner and nicer then I remember it... the pool is wonderful and for just under 50.00 is a steal... you can't find a motel this nice for this price... I will be back anytime I want a home away from home...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

The remote and wi fi did not work. There was old food in the fridge and used soap in the bathroom. There were hairs all over the beds. I went to the desk and asked for new sheets because mine were dirty. The clerk was rude. She shook her head at me and said we don't do that here. She finally admitted it had been two days since they'd been washed. The new sheet had holes and a yellow stain. The towels were stained and the clog in the shower was clogged. I did not sleep all night. The clerk said they were new and did not have any additional sheets. I was afraid of getting charged anyway so I bought a sheet pillows and blankets for the next night. If they could improve their customer service and get everything new this hotel could be nice. The girl that was working when we checked in looked mad because we interrupted her cigarette.

• Stayed August 2012
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I spent one night here only because I was too tired to switch hotels. This place is run down, musty and dirty. I had hair left in the bathroom and multiple spiders actually in the room. The tv remote didn't work and all surfaces were sticky. Plus the clientele was very loud and most were drunkenly roaming the halls by 10. STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hanalei, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The dated decor and front desk vibe had trouble written all over it, which was confirmed when we entered our unmade room. We requested a different one and moved all our stuff only to find we couldn't get a wi-fi signal. We packed up and checked out and got a receipt with no charge. I'll be checking my credit card statement.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We checked in on Friday afternoon (06/15), woman at front desk was very pleasant, dropped the bags in the room and headed out to do other things. First thing we noticed was a musty smell not only in the room but in the entire building and it was obvious it was an older building that had not been updated for some time. Room just didn't look clean. Checked the sheets on the bed but didn't see any sign of bugs. But the bathroom was a different story.......grout lines in the tile around the tub had black mold. The caulking around the tub had black mold. The toilet was stained/dirty inside. In short the more we looked, the more the place just looked like a dump. We came back to the room later in the evening and there were some kind of small bugs on the floor & sink in the bath. We decided that was enough. Checked a couple other hotels.....ended up staying at the Red Roof Inn on the other side of the interstate. What a difference.......clean, clean, clean. No frills.....no breakfast.....but at least we didn't have to worry about bug infestations or worse. We checked out of the Econo Lodge about 10pm & the only thing the woman at the desk asked was "taking an early checkout?" Never asked why. I'm sure we weren't the first people to check in & then not stay the night. At this point it was a waste of $56 which I just chalked up to experience. All I can say about the others who commented on this site about how great the place is either don't have high expectations or they are employees making fake comments. We've stayed at other hotels under the Choice Hotel family but this place should be banned from allowing to drag their good name down. And I'll back up every comment from "gwdash".....everything he/she said is true.

Room Tip: Stay away.....run, don't walk from this place!!