“Didn't expect much. Got less.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in York
Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania
“Didn't expect much. Got less.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is my third stay, so my expectations were low. I stay here for location: it is quite close to a restaurant I like and just a bit over a mile from the York Fairgrounds.

Since I booked the room through Expedia didn't reward points for the stay. My own fault. Won't do that again.

Usually stay on the first floor and the rooms are OK, not nice, but OK for the price I had been paying. This time I was on the third floor (no elevator) and at my room wasn't nice.

When entering the room the light switch didn't turn on the light. The front desk clerk fixed it quick enough but the cleaning staff should have noticed.

The lamp between the beds wasn't clean. It had brown drops of something on the lamp shade and the pedestal. I've posted the photos.

The quilt on the bed had a cigarette burn in it. I was a no smoking room but the quilt had a few years on it so the burn is not likely to be recent.

The air vent in the bathroom was hanging down from the ceiling. I've posted a photo. The bathroom was clean enough.

I'm not picky or I wouldn't have come back. Cheap and clean is generally good enough for me. However, the room was in such disrepair, and especially the brown drops on the lamp shade and its stand is over the top. Guess I was lucky the first two visits. Not likely to make a fourth.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground floor with a single King size bed. That is where I had been stayin...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fall River, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The rooms were ok but needed some cleaning!!! Cobwebs in the corners, layers of dust on the lamp shade's, stained bed linen, mold in the shower and the shower head from hell. I guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I should have read the reviews before booking the room. Upon entering the room at first glance it appeared clean and smelled okay. My wife and I were in town to visit the Harley manufacturing plant. we unloaded the bike and settled in. when we pulled back the comforter it was stained and had cigarette burns. figuring we would just pull the comforter off and sleep on the sheets we thought we would be okay. we took a brief nap and went to the White Rose restaurant, which by the way is highly recommended! when we returned people were loitering in the parking
lot and on the railings upstairs. They appeared to be permanent residence. Hearing for the safety of the motorcycle we kept the curtain slightly ajar. We didn't get much sleep as there was much
commotion all night. My wife woke up at
approximately 4 AM to use the bathroom. When she turned the light on roaches scattered. She woke me and wanted to leave. I convinced her to endure and wait until morning as we had no other options. when we awoke again at 6 AM there were roaches on the refrigerator in the bathroom and on the microwave. Since
we had only been eating in restaurants for our trip we had no food with us. I went
to the office to explain to the front desk what the problem was he seemed very unconcerned and almost accused me of lying. I explained to him he could find
dead roaches that I had killed in the bathroom in front of the fridge on the seal of the fridge and on the microwave. After
check out we went to the nearest laundry mat and washed everything we owned for fear of bringing their little friends home with us. So if you don't mind roaches,
drug dealers, prostitutes, permanent residents with grills on the deck, rude staff and a noisy atmosphere this might just be the place for you.

• Stayed July 2012
Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

The whole hotel smells like an airplane bathroom. There were several amoeba shaped brown stains on my mattress and curly hairs in the sink...do you need me to go on? I guess for $50 a night it should be no surprise.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wichita Falls, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Let me begin by saying the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. That being said, the coffee maker leaked from the bottom (water had no chance to become coffee), there was no hot water (yes, I did call and was told to let it run at least 5 minutes; I gave up for both myself and the environment after 10-15), the TV buzzed, the sink faucet leaked, and I had to leave before breakfast which, the way this visit was going, might have been a good thing. The employees were nice and as helpful/empathetic (since they had no power to actually fix any of these problems over a weekend) as they could be and the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011 via mobile

There is nothing even remotely redeemable about this horrible hotel in the heart of downtown York, PA. That the Choice Hotels group has done nothing to compel upgrade or remove its flag is shocking.
Rooms are filthy, bedding soiled and torn. Refrigerators are caked with old food, and there is a smell in the rooms of must and mold.
Door locks are broken, perhaps by design. I have stayed here three times by necessity and each time was worse. Bags are riffled and belonging missing.
The management and staff are cold and rude and appear to be amused by complaint. Be careful with your credit card as I have had odd charges that were removed after argument and threat of police involvement.
This old, run down relic of a hotel truly needs a bull dozer rather then makeover. Worst hotel experience ever, anywhere.
TO BE AVOIDED!

• Stayed December 2010
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

At a little more than $40 a night for a king bed, in the downtown area of York, I didn't expect much. But we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, nicely furnished, and functional and the price just couldn't be beat. Anxious to return so that we can experience some more of the neighborhood's restaurants and culture.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have been renovated, but to make sure - ask for a NEWER room. Plan ahead for...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!