“Be careful....” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Willow Grove
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Be careful....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently for 5 nights, and were very disappointed. While the reservation website noted a hotel renovation in progress, it really didn't disclose the extent. In fact, it was only on the day of check-in that I received an email from the hotel staff regarding the extent and time of day for the constuction. It wasn't until check-in that we were advised that one floor of the hotel was entirely clsoed, and that another floor would be taken out of service during our stay....leaving only 1 floor operational. (the website "photos" are not accurate...the must be proposed renderings after the renovations are completed).

The banging was loud, and continued for our entire stay. Much of the time, it could be heard very clearly within our room. That's not all. The contractors propped-open the outside doors, negating any security for the hotel (our room was located very close to these doors, which are supposed to be accessible via a room key only). Furthemore, the contractors saw fit to use the parking lot adjacent to the door - and just outside the window of our room - as a staging area, parking 2 tractor-trailers there during the day. When we left in the morning, our vehicle was surrounded by workers, trucks, a forklift, and other construction related materials and debris. All of this was done with no advance warning. I think we have some pictures to prove it. In a nutshell, my family and I felt like we were living right in the middle of a construction zone!

I understand hotels get renovated from time to time...and this one certainly needs it. However, had I known prior to arrival of the extent of the renovations that were actually in progress during our stay, I certainly would have reconsidred my hotel plans.

When my wife complained to the front desk about the noise, asking for a rate adjustment during our stay she was told "sorry, there's nothing we are going to do for you." Marriott has a better reputation than that, and we were definitely taken-back at the way our complaints and concerns were simply brushed-off.

Please note that we've stayed at this hotel many times in the past - even going back to when it first opened - have have never had such a poor experience.

Room Tip: Stay away for now...wait until the renovations are complete.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
shs_phlwl_gm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We understand that staying at a property under renovation can impact your stay and am sorry that your recent experiance was not to the level you expect from Marriott. Due to the variances of a renovation schedule, we were only able to post limited information about the extent of our renovation on our website, but did have it posted there as well as other travel sites.

Marriott takes the security and care of our guests very seriously, and we have steps in place to ensure that all entrances are secure during non-working hours of the renovation. We also have limited the time of construction to reduce the impact on our guests.

We are excited with the changes to both our rooms and public spaces and should have our renovation completed by the end of January. We will be sure to update our website upon completion of the renovation with new pictures of our property, but in the meantime the current pictures show prototypes of what the property will look like upon completion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've stayed at quite a number of hotels in my travels, but the SpringHill Suites in Willow Grove was one of the best, one of the very best, hotels I've ever stayed at. The room was super-spacious, clean, and comfortable beyond belief. The staff was poilte and helpful, giving accurate directions to various desinations I needed to go. The price was more than affordable. One other selling point is that the hotel is loated close to Philadelphia--a straight shot along Easton Road. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but compared to some of the hotels I've stayed in in New York, for example, the SpringHill Suites in Wilow Grove comes out on top. I would unquestionably recommend this hotel to anyone. Wonderful place indeed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
shs_phlwl_gm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay, and I'm gratified that thestaff took great care of you and your room. I will be sure to share your comments with all our staff. I also want to let you know that we will be undergoing a total renovation of our rooms and Public Spaces starting in November, and I know you will really love our new look. We look forward to hosting your future stays in the Willow Grove and Philadelphia area.
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel was full of students attending two sports tournaments, which did make for extremely crowded breakfasts and noisy hallways. There were also long waits for the sole elevator. However, this is probably not a usual situation.

The rooms are nice, and have refrigerators and microwaves. I found the beds to be too soft, though, and the curtains fail to block all of the light, which makes it difficult to sleep after sunrise.

We stayed for three days, from Friday to Monday. We were surprised to find that the breakfast on weekdays is much nicer than the breakfast on weekends. Given that there was no difference in room rates, I didn't think this was appropriate.

On the plus side, internet is free, although you won't know this from the log-in procedure required to access the internet.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have access to the back parking lot and an internal staircase for easy acce...
north providence
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful property. Front desk staff wa very nice and helpful. Houseman was very informative.
Room was huge. I didn't expect it to have the room it had . @ qn beds on one side and a sofa chair and tv on the other with an adjining kitchenette.
Bathroom was huge. The property was well maintained and clean.
Breakfast was tasty and abundant but the attendant was very grumpy and uninviting, she should be retrained. I will stay there again as it was a short vacation this time but next time we will plan alonger stay with the beauty of this property.

Room Tip: this is a large property find an entrance near your room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife, infant son and I stayed here for a long weekend for a family reunion. This was the most central hotel to where we had to be and it suited its purpose. The staff was very accommodating when I noticed that there was a young wedding party staying that weekend and asked for a corner room so that 1) they wouldnt wake my son and 2) my son wouldn't interupt any other guests sleep. The hotel itself was clean but dated, breakfast hours were ok but the area was very small and, it seemed, overwhelmed by the amount of guests as there was a shortage of everything except waffle mix (make your own waffle station).

All in all we would stay again for a short trip but wouldn't if we were staying 5 or 7 days.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for my daughter's 13th birthday with her a couple of her friends. The room smelled like cigarettes and the lysol that I brought with me helped a little. The room was a nice size although it was a had to get to the closet because it sat in front of one of the queen size bed. Bathroom was clean. Wasn't to happy with the breakfast. Pool is small but was well maintained. Not good security was able to walk in the building without using the room key from back entrance. Even when I pulled the door shut. Which was very hard to close.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Us: Mom (me), Dad, 14 month old son. Why: family birthday party on a June Saturday. When: the Friday night before. My family lives in Glenside so we were looking for something close to them. The Philadelphia area is about a 3 hour drive from us (Wash DC)

Good: free breakfast, good choices. Refrigerator (half-size). Son loved the pool.

Thoughts:

* in-room coffee was really awful. Uses some kind of pod coffee like all hotels seem to nowadays but both the coffee in-room and at the breakfast area was bad. Husband is a coffee snob and couldn't drink it. Had to get him a soda at CVS. I like to think I can drink almost any coffee but had to agree with the husband. Made for a rough morning. Mind you, this is just a thought for coffee-minded folks. For a next time, since we would drive, I would actually take my 4cup Mr Coffee maker with me. Yes, it's that important to me - you may be different.
* check-in was easy and pleasant but ... front desk person (in training) told us it would be better to park in the back to access our room. Which wasn't better because we (really just he) had to drag all of our stuff (we have a baby = we have stuff) even further to the elevator than if we had just left our car in the front. The hotel was not even 1/2 full judging by the parking lot that night/next morning so it wasn't a space issue.
* it was the end of a hot 3 hour drive with Friday summer traffic and I didn't have the brains to ask if there was a luggage trolley which, of course, there was (2 or 3?) but not for us since I didn't think to look for ask for one. My fault.
* I knew from the Marriott website that it was last renovated/built in 2002? (actually I think it was built in 2002 and not renovated since) so I wasn't expecting sparkling and new. But boy it needs a renovation soon. Trending toward downright dingy. Not unclean, but dingy.
* Also knew beforehand that although it might be a "suite" there is no door/wall separating the sleep area from the tv/living area. Think all SpringHill Suites are like this (no door/full wall separating). If I hadn't known this, I would have been disappointed. Baby has hearing like radar and wakes up if he hears us talking, but it was fine for one night. Put his travel crib between the desk and the kitchenette area and we were good to go.
* Smaller than I would have anticipated. Would have been too small for more than 2 nights with a family of even just 3. Probably the trade-off of having an all-suites hotel.
* GPS took us to enter from Maryland Road but that is a secondary exit and was chained when we arrived; the main entrance is on Commerce Avenue. We were already running late when we finally got to the hotel; having to make a u-turn on Maryland Road at 5pm on a Friday did not make the husband happy.
* Would I stay there again? For one night when we did not spend a lot of downtime in the room, yes. For a longer stay I might look around a little more for more space and something spiffier.

Room Tip: *There are luggage trolleys! *Enter from Commerce Avenue.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
shs_phlwl_gm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites for your lodging in the Willow Grove area and taking the time to comment on your stay.

I have shared your comments with our staff about room directions and availability of luggage carts and we will be sure to alert our future guests of their availability and also of the choices of entrances and location of room.

I understand your confusion with our address as our postal address is located on Maryland Road, but the hotel entrance is on Commerce Avenue. We do have it noted on our website under Maps/Directions, but I know it can be missed. Hopefully our signage helps direct our guests to the proper entrance.

We are also starting our total room and public space renovation in the late fall of 2013, so I know when you return after that time you will be happy with all the changes.

If you have planned stays for longer than a few days and are looking for options, I will be happy to work with you on which location would best suit your needs. Please give me a call when you are planning on coming back and we can review your choices.

Been to SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove? Share your experiences!