“An Experience I'd Rather Forget...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Deal
FREE FULL HOT BREAKFAST
Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Williamsport
New Jersey
“An Experience I'd Rather Forget...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

My husband and I travelled 5 hours to attend a wedding at the Genetti - we booked a room on the recommendation of the Bride and Groom - a big mistake. I should imagine that the hotel was indeed a gem in its heyday....50 years ago....but it hasn't been touched since then and is now tired, dirty, and in no way appealing. On the positive side, the staff are very friendly and helpful. But the bad outweighs the good. We entered the hotel from the parking lot area, down a loooonnnnngggg corridor with peeling paint and carpeting that needs a good cleaning/vacuuming. Not an attractive first impression. As the previous reviewer mentioned, there is an odor in the rooms which probably comes from the rugs or draperies....definately the result of being a "pet friendly" hotel. Our bathroom was outdated and moldy. It took 45 minutes receive an order chicken fingers from the bar downstairs. The Ballroom is dingy, old and just plain nasty. We also noticed the box-like structure in the elevator - most disconcerting. We were awake at 7am the morning after the wedding and had checked out by 7.30. On the way out of town we passed a roadside motel...perhaps we would have had better luck there. Indeed it is time to shut down the hotel and do a complete renovation.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
biggens
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

Terrible food, cheap linens, overpriced, dirty bathrooms, ugly furnishings, poor service.

Stayed August 2006
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

My husband and I just happened to have to travel back "home", which is the Finger Lakes Region of NY State, the same weekend as the Watkins Glen NASCAR race. We didn't want to get in the middle of that, so I decided to look for a place to stay in Williamsport since it's so close to that area. Anyway, I looked at all the different chain motel/hotel prices, and was amazed at how high the rates were. I have seen signs for the Genetti Hotel for as long as I can remember, and decided to see what that rate might be. It was less than the EconoLodge and the Super8, so I booked a room.
Upon entering the hotel I was pleased by the fact it had "class". From the pictures of all the important people who had stayed there over the years, to opulant chandeliers, the dark wood, and even the old toilet and tub (which I think added to the fun of staying there). I know they gave me a free room upgrade, as the room had a king vs. queen bed, and was a corner room, to boot, which made it very nice.
We really enjoyed this, and are so glad we stayed here!!

• Liked — Great old Hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

I first stayed in this hotel in 1965 when it was called the Lycoming. At that time, I came in on the old Pennsylvania Railroad to which era this hotel belongs. I like old quaint hotels and wanted to return to see how the old gal was doing. The Genetti is one of the few old downtown hotels in small and medium-sized U.S. cities to escape the wrecking ball. Well I can tell you that the room in which I stayed hadn't changed much in over 40 years. There was a newer bathroom sink and vanity but the toilet and tub were the original equipment. The room was small which might account for its description as "European style". There was an odor in the room which could have come from the rugs, draperies or maybe the wallpaper. I noted that the hotel advertises itself as "pet friendly." I noticed that the elevators had a box-like structure covering about 1/3 of the floor space in the cab. I had never seen anything like that before and asked a maintenance man what it was for. He told me that due to the original hoisting equipment, the cab could only carry 2000 lbs. The box was placed there to restrict the number of people who could ride in the cab at one time. Maybe this is a clue that it's time to shut down the hotel and do a complete renovation.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

I stayed here a couple times in the past year and find it to be a quaint and friendly establishment. The history and archetecture are worth the price of the room. The Genetti makes me feel like I'm in a B/W movie from old times when hotels were happening places. Yes the inexpensive rooms are a bit small and the heat can be erratic but they have done a fine job of keeping a fine old hotel serving present day travelers and making them welcome. The lounge is someting to be seen. It is on the first floor on the corner of the building and has beveled glass panes looking out onto the street scene. Wonderful.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
West Orange, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

After attracting you with it's history and location. The hotel Genitti needs some improving. It is an old hotel and needs some renovations. There was no water pressure in the shower, and the tempature was very inconsistant. I found two spiders in my room. The room was very, very small. And the air conditioner was a window unit which was so loud, I could not sleep. They try to make everything up with friendly service, but that did not help the fact I did not sleep. The bed was uncomfortable too.

• Stayed August 2005
Providence, RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2005

If you are expecting the same hotel experience you get from a major chain, you will be disappointed (or delighted). Genetti has been around since 1922, and you can tell. But with the smaller rooms and older fixtures comes a friendly staff and a central location. Great Sunday brunch is served downstairs and the lobby hallways are filled with b/w photos of visits to the hotel by famous people. For the price ($75 on a holiday weekend), I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Genetti Lycoming? Share your experiences!