“A Trip into History” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Williamsport
Red Deer, Canada
“A Trip into History”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was a last minute booking and the staff was able to get me in. To be honest I was glad just to have a place to sleep rather than the rental car, so any room would have been perfect.
You could tell that this was an old building, and there was a nostalgic feel to the whole place. The lobbly was stupendous in it's splendor. The staff at the front desk were extreamly helpful and fantastic to deal with. The room was small, but clean, and not the same as those pictured on the website. I figured I got some sort of overflow room, still it was just fine.
The only issue I had was at 1:00 in the morning my bathroom toilet flushed and the bathroom door opened about 8 inches. This kind of creeped me out and I ended up checking out very early the following morning without much sleep.( I did not report this to the staff as I felt pretty foolish at the time)
Overall a good place, not 5 star, but definitly not a dive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
tennisphreak, Front Office Manager at Genetti Lycoming, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel.
We were so happy to provide you with a room at the 'spur of the moment'. We were also so happy to hear that you enjoyed the 'nostalgic feel ' of the hotel and the 'splendor' of the lobby.
We take a great deal of pride in that fact that we are a 90 year old hotel & able to provide guests with the historic feel along with modern amenities.
As guest services manager, it is the utmost importance to me & the hotel that your needs are met during your entire stay. We do apologize that your sleep was interupted due to a mechanical malfunction. We do offer 24 hours guest services so had we known about the mishap we certainly could've taken care of you immediately.
After reviewing your stay with us, it does appear as though you stayed here in April 2011, rather than April 2012. We simply point this out because we have done a tremendous amount of renovations & upgrades particularly in our rooms and bathrooms.
We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience, so thank you again for your review.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed at the Lycoming Genetti for a short 1-day trip. I anticipated that it would be a nice hotel because of the reviews, but I was even more pleased than I thought when arrived. The service at the front desk was very friendly. At least more friendly than most hotels than I go to. The room was just fabulous. I think that I prefer modern hotels overall, and was a bit -nervous about the 'old-fashioned' aesthetic that the hotel is known for, but the room was beautiful. It had a lovely floor rug. Nice heavy curtains and a beautiful wooden armoire for the tv. It was old-fashioned but not dingy, which I feared the most. The best was that we got the Jacuzzi suite. The Jacuzzi was clean and I was also happy for that. It put me at ease that I went for it and was not grossed out by what I found. We ate at the 4th street grille which is located in the hotel. My boyfriend's specific reason for visiting Williamsport was to eat at this restaurant. He comes to dine there every Thanksgiving for their buffet. He loves it. I didn't think based on it's interior that it would be able to whip up fine cuisine, but boy was I wrong. The food was excellent. He got a strip steak and I got the lobster tortellini dish. It was fresh, hot and tasty. We stuffed ourselves on that, went up to our big room and sprawled on the super-comfy big bed. The only thing that I regret about the trip was not bringing my DVDs of Dexter to watch because we didn't guess that they had a dvd player. Turns out they did! Modern luxurious with old-world grace. Plus, it's close to the downtown's artsy stuff. If you are wondering what to do, check out the First Fridays at the art galleries in town.

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi room was modern, but maybe the regular rooms are a mix.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
tennisphreak, Front Office Manager at Genetti Lycoming, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! The Genetti Hotel Management and staff greatly appreciate your kind and supportive comments! We always love to hear about an enjoyable stay! We take pride in decorating our rooms to maintain the historic feel, but also continuing to display modern décor. We are pleased to know you noticed and enjoyed these details! “Modern luxurious with old-world grace” is exactly what we strive for here at the Genetti Hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Genetti hotel shortly before Christmas. The entire lobby was beautifully decorated. We took family pictures there as we could not find a more pleasant setting.
The accommodations were most comfortable and clean. The room was not very large, but most adequate and typical in size with other older hotels where we have stayed. The breakfast buffet was extensive and included scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and one or two more hot dishes.
We were completely satisfied with our stay and would recommend it to family and friends alike. I had read one or two negative comments before our trip and was a little apprehensive about what we might find. Now that we've been there, I can only imagine that writers of those negative statements must have incorrectly identified the hotel where they stayed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
tennisphreak, Front Office Manager at Genetti Lycoming, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
The Genetti Hotel Management and its staff would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive experience! Since the hotel is privately owned, we value the encouraging and supportive feedback! Thanks to our housekeeping department who decorated the lobby this year, the holidays are always enjoyable and we take great pride in creating a completely festive environment! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed the decorations as much as we do! Again, the Genetti greatly appreciates that you shared your experience at the hotel and looks forward to seeing you again!
Genetti Management
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Reading other reviews leads me to believe that there is quite a variety in rooms. We had a grant experience. Love the Christmas decor. The hotel is well maintained and has a lovely old world charm. We were upgraded to a suite which had a king and queen bed in two separate rooms. Too big for us but well appointed and comfortable. The restaurant was closed ( close to Christmas and a Sunday) but the Bullfrog pub around the corner was a great place to eat. Hotel Staff were friendly and helpful. Morning breakfast was plentiful - bacon, sausage, eggs, hash, biscuits, gravy, toast, cereal, yogurt - all buffet style -if you like that sort of thing. It was included in the cost of the room so can't complain.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Where to start?

Firstly the room was a shoebox. It could fit the double bed and a desk but not much else.

The room and ensuite was filthy - there was poo and hair on the toliet!!

The bed was old and saggy and very uncomfortable. The pillows felt like they were 100 years old!

I had to get up after a while and unplug the bar fridge as it was humming so loudly we couldn't sleep.

The buffet breakfast service was a joke. No service (I had to go behind the side bar to find our own napkins). Plastic utensils - yes, plastic knives and forks!

Overall our stay was very unpleasant and for the price we felt completely ripped off.

The only upside was that we were eventually given a partial refund which took a little of the sting out of our stay. But we would never go back. I'd rather sleep in the car.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
reviewhawk, Front Office Manager at Genetti Lycoming, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
We appreciate your time and feedback regarding your stay with us here at the hotel. The entire Genetti staff is dedicated to superior quality and guest services as reflected in our past reviews and we are extremely sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is a certainly no accident that we are ranked in the top “2” among all the hotels here in Williamsport.

We did confirm that your reservation was made upon walking into our hotel at about 11pm, when we were approximately 80% occupied. Since our last few available rooms are generally some of our smaller ones, we did in fact deeply discount your room at arrival.

We also confirm that hair was reported in the bathroom, however nothing other than that had been brought to our attention. And, in fact, further deductions were made to your rate at checkout without mention of any other cleanliness or service issues. As you can see from our past reviews, cleanliness is something we are regularly applauded for.

All the mattresses have been replaced within the last 2yrs along with our pillows. This issue also was not reported to anyone at checkout.

Our refrigerators are the traditional standard issue used within the lodging industry. We do have staff on here at the hotel 24 hours a day and are just a phone call away if our guests are ever in need of assistance for any reason.

Yes, plastic silverware and paper plates were being used in our restaurant as we were undergoing a full kitchen renovation to help us to better serve our future guests. We do apologize for the temporary inconvenience. Once again our past reviews note breakfast as a highlight here at the hotel.

Again, we apologize that we fell short at meeting your expectations and are fully dedicated to using your comments as a productive tool to continuously improve here at the Genetti.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Many years ago, when this hotel was the Lycoming Hotel, my family used to enjoy occasional fancy lunches there. I grew up, moved away and have not been back for over 50 years. My family just returned home after two nights at the Genetti. From the very moment we entered the hotel to the minute we left, we absolutely loved our visit. Our corner room on the 8th floor was spacious and comfy. The beds were heaven! The extra large bathroom had a walk in shower (no climbing over the tub). The hot breakfast in the morning was amazing...a huge array of food, hot and cold, with any and all breakfast items you could ever want. "Best breakfast" ads on the billboards near Williamsport don't adequately tell the story about the perfectly wonderful meal it was. The desk clerks are amazing. When I thought I had possibly left my cell phone charger in the room or lost it in the hotel, I was assured they would search for it. The very next day I got a call from them. I have NEVER had that happen before. When I needed two extra towels, they were at my door in five minutes. The housekeeping staff is courteous and friendly and always smiling. The hotel is hosting a Roaring 20's party this weekend celebrating its 90th birthday. They have renovated and updated all their rooms without losing that nostalgic old feel about it. I will honestly never stay anywhere else but this hotel when I am in the area again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms appear to be larger. Choose one of them if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I chose the Genetti since it was close (just steps!) away from the Arts Center. I read some of the reviews, good and bad, and wondered if I should pay any mind to the complaints from some. I ended up more than happy that I stayed here! Extremely friendly and helpful staff, I felt welcome and appreciated as soon as I checked in. While the building itself is "old", the room was clean, comfortable and had all that I needed or wanted. Yes, you will hear the occasional rattle in the pipes, and whatever else may go along with a building with this history, but, I'd much rather stay in a place with character and charm, than a cookie-cutter chain along the highway. In the end, I wonder if the people who didn't enjoy it either stayed here prior to a renovation, or they are way more picky than I am? I hope to return to the Genetti one day soon, as it truly was an enjoyable and memorable weekend. I would recommend the Genetti without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Genetti Lycoming? Share your experiences!