“A Perfect Place Stop, & Not Too Far From I-80” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1035 Highway 315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Dayton, Ohio
“A Perfect Place Stop, & Not Too Far From I-80”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

After driving around the US of A for 1.5 months and never staying at a Red Roof Inn not on purpose; it just turned out that way), I admit I was a bit skeptical—especially given the low price of $40 for two with taxes the day before CHRISTMAS EVE. I was expecting some seedy stuff, usually reserved for the very, very low-rated Super 8s or something of the sort, but what I found instead was a really brilliant value for a great price. And the person at the front desk couldn't have been nicer, not only giving me the top floor (I love that) away from the highway (I love that even more), but also proffering a handful of restaurant menus, as he noticed we'd been traveling for quite a while based on a) my home address b) my haggard face and c) my probably audible stomach.

We did walk past a steaming, nasty turd on the outdoor stairs—the Red Roof Inn is pet-friendly (hooray!) but perhaps should be less people friendly (boo!), especially when they abuse the obvious privilege of not even being up-charged for having an animal in the room. And this is how you're going to do the RRI, stranger? On Christmas Eve? For shame!

Aside from that, which obviously is not going to be a standard (or at least I hope), the room was awesome—especially for $40. We got a very comfortable king-sized bed, an actually usable desk (if one were to be there on business, this would truly be a suitable accommodation for once), a mini-fridge, microwave, working wireless, and a CLEAN, MOLD-FREE SHOWER.

I highly recommend staying here if you're looking for a decent motel in the area—even if you're traveling on I-80. It's not very far, in truth, and is the best deal for miles and miles and miles. Who wants to shell out serious cash while in the middle-ish of PA anyway? No one , that's who. I hope other motels in their chain are as excellent, because I will definitely be a repeat customer.

Room Tip: See if they have something available on the third floor. While there's no grand view, I really p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lucijane, Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank You so much for visiting the Wilkes-Barre Red Roof Inn, and for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience. We take our guest's comments very seriously and share them with our staff. When guests like yourself take the time to give us such a positive response, it helps to motivate the staff and shows them that all their hard work does not go unoticed. We are a pet friendly hotel, and I am sorry that not all pet owners appreciate that privilege. Once again, thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Got a room for one night while visiting family. Price was cheap, front desk service decent. Room wasn't great but wasn't horrible. Bedding had cigarette burns in it (we were in a non smoking room). Didn't see any signs of bed bugs or infestation ( we are very OCD about checking the beds when we travel).

Overall I'd say you get a cheap room for a cheap price. Not the best place to stay with kids but for just the two of us, it was a place to stay for a night and worked ok.

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stopped here on the way back from a dog show because we didn't want to drive all the way home. We got an EXCELLENT rate for the king sized bed on the ground floor. The room was very clean (my only minor complaint was the faint odour of cigarette smoke - they definitely need to replace the carpets in the rooms that used to be smoking; the smell will never go away) and really spacious enough (smaller than other RR rooms we have been in but not the most important issue for us). The desk clerk Brian was awesome. Friendly, helpful and funny. Definitely a plus for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here on Dec 1 and Dec 5.......room was comfortable and clean and quiet......Brian, the desk clerk, spent an hour and an half helping my wife send a fax to the motel for me before I got there....then was very helpful finding me a room on the ground floor after a booking mistake....will always stay here when going from Vermont to the southeast.

Room Tip: Valley view, quiet side, ground floor, away from stairs
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was displaced from both my office in Lower Manhattan (NYC) and my home in Central NJ during Hurricane Sandy. I stayed at this hotel for 10 days until power was restored in my home area. The hotel was clean and quiet, and my room was very comfortably furnished and equipped with a fridge and microwave. There was a desk inside the room for me to use as my temporary office, and free coffee/tea 24/7 in the reception area. Throughout my 10-day stay, the hotel staff was very hospitable and considerate, and they often went beyond the call of their duty to make the guests feel welcome and well served, particularly Patti and Jennifer of the front desk, and Lou of the maintenance department. For instance, upon arrival, I found that my room fridge was not as cold as expected and the sink was draining slowly. The morning after I reported the troubles, Lou of the maintenance department came promptly to replace my fridge and took great care in clearing the clog in my sink. It became my home away from home! Considering the pricing, room conditions, and the exceptional services provided by the staff, I will definitely return to this hotel in my future travels. I also highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is clean, the rooms are a bit small, but well laid out.
We stayed for one night - a bad night - not because of the hotel, but a murder/homicide within 100ft of this Inn. The Sheriff going door to door and investigating, made a disturbing night until 1am. However, the hotel gave a $25 discount, which we found very generous, since the murder did not happen on the property, nor was it the hotel's fault. Well handled by staff. Sorry that everybody had to be subjected to this tragedy.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $$ for a superior room, it is well worth i.t
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Setauket, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nothing fancy. There is parking close to all rooms, and most rooms have a big sized flat screen, and the bathrooms were large. There was no shampoo or conditioner provided, no hair dryers. Air conditioner was cool. Bed was average. For the price, not a bad option. It does seem that some "guests" may be more of a permanent resident.

Room Tip: Try to get on the lower level, it's easier to access your vehicle.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena? Share your experiences!