“Excellent hotel in Wilkes-Barre!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Boston
“Excellent hotel in Wilkes-Barre!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I only stayed here for one night, but if I ever return to the area I would totally stay here again. The hotel is located in downtown Wilkes-Barre (not much to see there) and has free parking and an excellent buffet breakfast is included! The fitness center is also very nice and actually has good equipment. The hotel was clean as was my room. The bathroom looked like new and featured a fancy Waterpik shower head. The room was spacious and included a great flat screen tv and DVD player. There is a restaurant and night club in the hotel, but I didn't hear a thing. The only noise that I heard was some kind banging in the walls; it sounded like pipes. This kept me awake at night and that is the only reason I have 4 instead of 5 stars. Next time I will bring ear plugs because I am a light sleeper anyway.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ashley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This should be a MOTEL, in comparison to a HoJo's or Motel 8 at Best. Room 7016 (pics included) Old, small, dingy, smelly, low class. On the bed is a sheet, a thin pilled blanket, then an old worn thin sheet type cover to make it look like a white down comforter. The room less than budget; made me sick at the 107.00 price tag when I can spend that much this time of year for a Hampton Garden Inn. And this was a discounted rate due to Christmas party on premise. I have to say the Bathroom was beautifully rennovated, they forgot to upgrade the rooms though. Breakfast Buffet included for the morning, the food was as bad as it was the night before at the party in the grand ball room. No selection, cafeteria type quality. I really am disappointed in everything about this place, it screams low class, 70's motel, from the check in counter to the lack of service.

Room Tip: Stay less than 5 miles away by the Arena and you have a better choice of hotels in the same price ra...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northeast US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night in November 2012.

At first we were pleased:

- The room size was adequate.

- There was off-street paid parking complimentary with room purchase.

- Complimentary breakfast we didn't take advantage of.

- The room was quiet.

- The bathroom was adequate.

We were ready to provide a nice review here until we rolled back the sheets on the bed to find a plethora of someone else's hair between the sheets and on the pillows.

Not one or two mind you, but the bed had obviously been slept in and the lazy staff simply pulled the sheets back up vs. changing them for the next customer.

I guess this filth is their idea of "saving the planet" by not washing sheets???

In our revoltion we recoiled to bed #2 and found the same mess.

We are so disgusted we can't even speak the name of this hotel.

Who knows what else was on those sheets and we sure weren't interested in looking further.

Filth.

Room Tip: Check everything before you unpack.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
swagnersir, Manager at BEST WESTERN Genetti Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are disappointed to hear of your experience. After each guest checks out we change all bed linens in the room. What can happen is a guest will depart early and a communication gap between the front desk and housekeeping will result in a failure to provide a full departure cleaning and the room will only receiving a stay over cleaning. I've looked at our housekeeping records and have been unable to find an occurrence of this. The fact that both beds were not changed is surprising. We do our best to provide an ultra-clean hotel for our guests but do fall short at times. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with clean and comfortable accommodations.

Sam Wagner
Manager
Castle Rock, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Downtown, large to find and get too, need a GPS to find. It was a rated 3Star on Hot Wire. Hotel must have paid Hot wire for the rating. It's dark, feels like the 50's and smells. Makes you want to sleep in your clothes. Mold in the bath tub area. Just find another location.

Room Tip: Helpful tip: Find another location when in the Wilkes-Barre area
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear traveler,

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with our hotel. Our rooms have recently been extensively refreshed with all new furniture, pillow top mattresses, and our public areas are near completion of upgrades as well. I’ve noted that you’ve haven’t been extremely satisfied with your hotel stays in Wilkes-Barre. We take great pride in having an over 90% satisfaction rate of Hotwire customers and have recently received the Directors Award from Best Western International for superior service and accommodations. I hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay next time you are visiting Wilkes-Barre. We hope you have safe travels.

Regards,

Sam Wagner
Manager
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here while attending a show at The Kirby Center. Very convenient to the center, about a 1 block stroll. The room was very spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. We had a free hot breakfast. While it was ok, it wasn't something to write home about. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

A very nice hotel in the downtown area, but still very close to I 81. Very clean large rooms, very nice bathroom, nice touches, personal touches from the owner. Free parking in their own lot in the rear and a really good hot breakfast. Definitely recommend. And if you mention the University of Scranton, just mention, as in just saying the words, you get a substantial discount on the room!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We chose this hotel because we were without power due to the hurricane, and because it's pet friendly. My mom, dog, and I stayed here for 3 nights (it was supposed to be for 6 nights, but we just had to get out of there).

We were in a very clean room but a bit small for 2 adults and a dog. However, there was so much noise that we requested to be moved to another room. We could very clearly hear the people talking in the room above us, there was a lot of banging going on in the room next to us - so much that it literally shook the bed and jolted my head against the headboard. This also scared my dog to pieces since she had "not been treated nicely" before I adopted her. She wouldn't eat or sleep and the poor girl was wide-eyed and huddled against me. Also, the doors to all rooms slammed extremely loudly - constantly. All of this led us to request a different room on another floor.

The woman we dealt with at the counter who's name is Kirstin is probably the ONLY reason this hotel stays in business. Our second room was SO much quieter and my dog actually ate & slept immediately. Then came the smoke. We weren't told that half of this floor is smoking, & my mother is highly allergic. It would have been nice customer service to be notified of this. We called to see if anything could be done about it and were rudely told by Michael (who seemed like the manager) that all he could do was move us). Having just moved, we politely declined and asked him to check it out because it seemed as though some non-smoking rooms had people smoking in them. I met Michael in the hallway and this man has the worst attitude I've experienced in a long time. He answered his walkie while I was talking to him, he interrupted me numerous times, and he told me he would not even check on anything until after those guests left. He then walked away very quickly, leaving me standing in the hall with an asthmatic mother and a frightened dog who was recovering from surgery. What kind of person does this?

I stayed up late and found another hotel for us to go to as soon as we woke up (which was exponentially better than this place). We happily checked out.

I would recommend that you pay a little more and stay away from this hotel. It's obvious that the building is old due to the stucco ceilings and paper thin walls. Also, the so-called pet walking area is nothing more than a foot-wide strip of grass along one side of the parking lot (which is full of dog poop) and was not close enough for the animals to make it a lot of the time. The sidewalks and walkways directly outside of the hotel are stained with what looks like years worth of urine which no one cleans (I made it a point to notice if any new urine was washed away during my stay - it wasn't). This isn't healthy for our animals OR for people.

Overall, gross. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Genetti Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!