“It doesn't get any better than this...” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 226 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Pittston, PA
“It doesn't get any better than this...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I have been going to La Tolteca since they opened, and I've never had a bad meal. Their food is authentic, served fast and hot. Love the chips and salsa (free with your meal). Their combo meals are a fantastic deal. I usually get the burrito/taco/rice/bean plate (#18) and it is just over 7 bucks. They have a full bar with margharita specials, or try their fresh brewed sweet tea (my favorite). Fried ice cream and flan if you can find room to squeeze it in. Once a week they have a mariachi band that wanders from table to table taking requests. They are really good, although it is a bit awkward when they are standing at your table playing for you. On your birthday the waiters will all come out to your table and sing happy birthday in Spanish, and they put a giant sombrero on the birthday-person's head. Plus you get free flan. In the warmer weather they have outdoor seating. I've moved a bit farther away but I still will travel an hour every other week to get my La Tolteca!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pennsylvania
“authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Excellent authentic mexican food. Their prices are very reasonable. The have a big outdoor dinning area. Love the Nachos!
I don't know way they closed their other location 'Mi tolteca' in Moosic.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Poconos
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

Three of us stopped in for dinner Sunday evening around 6pm after a hectic day of Christmas shopping. The restaurant wasn't crowded due to a snow/ice storm that had been occuring for the previous 24 hours and we were seated immediately. My dining companions ordered chicken enchiladas & chicken quesadillas respectively, and I had an enchilada/chile relleno combo platter that was served with rice & refried beans. We ordered a tamale from the a la carte menu to share, too. Our food arrived in less than 5 minutes - no exaggeration - and it had very obviously been microwaved - the beans and the brown sauce were burned onto the plate. Aside from that, the beans were pureed to a point that there was absolutely no texture to them - it was like eating baby food with a fork. The rice was okay but underseasoned for our taste, and the same brown sauce was poured over the enchiladas, chile relleno & tamale - if my eyes had been closed, I would've had a hard time distinguishing one from another, they all tasted the same. We'd ordered sides of sour cream and received big bowls of some kind of sour cream/mayo mixture that had the consistency of instant pudding, very strange - none of us could eat it, the taste was really weird.

All in all, it was a disappointing visit and I doubt I'll eat there again. I'm a bit surprised by all the wonderful reviews La Tolteca receives and can only assume the regular cook couldn't make it in because of the weather.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“very tasty. yummy margaritas.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

very tasty. yummy margaritas.

Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
“We eat here every Friday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

This reataurant has the best food for really great prices! they have an outside patio area that we eat at every friday until it gets too cold! As soon as you sit down they give you fresh tortilla chips and freshly made salsa. I have had many different things and they all have been wonderful! Chicken, shredded beef, and seafood chimichangas, quesadilla, enchiladas and more.dinner comes with a "guacamole salad" and delicious refried beans or rice. my husband enjoys the shrimp fajitas - the shrimp are grilled to perfection with peppers onions and t omatoes. daquiris are delicious, too - mango, banana, peach - many different flavors. definitely a place to go to if you're in the area. service is great and quick, too!