“The Best of the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilkes-Barre
The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion
You added The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion to your Saves list
304 South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Wilkes-Barre B&B and Inns
Ft Walton Beach
“The Best of the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This completely renovated B&B is the creme de la creme'. The period fitting furniture, artwork, antiques and just unbelievable. The owner, Joe Matteo, is a perfect host and made me feel completely comfortable. He took the time to show me the other rooms in the house and I can assure you that they are decorated perfectly and are very comfortable. This mansion is within close walking distance to almost everything in Wilkes-Barre. It a bit pricey but well worth it. I definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are going there for a honeymoon or as a couple ask for the honeymoon suite. I didn't sta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

What an incredibly beautiful Victorian mansion!
Peaceful and luxurious! Joe, the owner, has done an amazing job of bringing the house back to life. He has also done an amazing job of ensuring your visit will be absolutely perfect. We stayed in Wilkes-Barre to see a concert at The Kirby Center, which is within walking distance of the mansion. (There are many fine restaurants near the Kirby Center also...)
We stayed in the Amelia Suite..which has a separate sitting area with a couch and a TV. Also, every room has its own bathroom. My only regret is only staying one night!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I attended a small wedding at the Stegmaier mansion and was enthralled by the decorations and the food. The bridal couple chose a brunch as their meal and each choice was as good as the next. Presentation was beyond words. The bride told me that the owner helped her with all of the planning including the minister, photographer, music and food choices. The piano player played throughout the entire 4 hours I was there....we commented that we would love to have a CD of his music as his music was nice to listen to.
The only suggestion I would make is to for the mansion description to state that the parking is in the lot across the street as I attempted to park in the very small lots on the mansion property and then chose on street parking only to move my car into the lot across the street once the other guests told me about the lot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Turbotville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked a single night this past weekend and now we wished we could have stayed longer. From the moment we walked into the Mansion, we were instantly transported to early 1900. No detail was missed. Top hats, gloves and a cane hanging on the coat tree in the foyer, magnificent period paintings, statues and accouterments accented every wall. The staircase led the way to the rooms with no less in the way of art and period furnishings.
Our host, Joe, took his time with us, pointing out details, answering our barrage of questions and making us so comfortable in our room. Many, many thanks to you, Joe as we felt right at home and enjoyed our time talking with you.
We explored much of the Mansion on our own and were also regaled with stories from the very hard working staff. And it was quite evident the staff was tired from a long day (they had just finished hosting a baby shower) but they still took the time to talk with us, show us around and tell us much of the history of the place while still having bright and smiling faces.
I cannot say enough about this wonderful B&B and our host. We truly were speechless much of the time we were there.
And I know I can't end this recommendation until I mention the food. We awoke in the morning to fresh home-baked cinnamon rolls and coffee cake! And of course, a take home box as it was food enough for 6 people!
Lastly I must also say the place was immaculately clean. With so many period pieces occupying nearly every flat space and wall, it was astonishing not to find a speck of dust or dirt. Our room was immaculate and every bit of what we would hoped to have for the night.
I have never been in a place that was so detailed and yet so comfortable. I'll be recommending this to anyone is within 50 miles of Wilkes-Barre and their destination.
Thanks gain for having us and we will see you again real soon.

Room Tip: We were quite spoiled in "Amelia's Suite" but Joe showed us a different room and it wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed one night at this mansion in this June invited the American couple. It was one of my long-cherished wishes to visit and stay at the mansion ever since I had seen the pictures on internet in Japan.

I booked the Gold Medal Room for myself and the Amelia’s suite for them but, not only the both of the rooms but the whole mansion was like a stunning, breathtaking museum. It was far beyond my imagination. Each little décor and the architecture was spectacular perfection of beauty..it was just inexpressible, speechless…there is no word that could explain fully about the beauty of this mansion. I can only imagine that the time, passion, energy, and affection toward the mansion, the owner, Joe Matteo, has spent. I’m sure it is still ongoing and this kind of work never ends for the compression or to maintain as long as the mansion exists.. and I really admire him for his respectable hard work. I really think that this mansion is more than just a place to stay or BB but it’s a historical heritage and deserves to be a national treasure.

I also want to mention that the mansion is magnificent not only the seeming but also its service. There is a mini kitchen in the room with microwave, toaster, refrigerator with full of snacks, a wide variety of beverages, fruits, etc. Breakfast is waiting in front of the door in the morning, so that we can sleep as long as we want.

My only regret is that I wish I could stay longer…one day is not enough to explore and enjoy the exquisite beauty of this mansion…my one night stay was ended in sighing of admiration…

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

In town to visit family, my husband and I reserved a room at the Frederick Stegmaier Mansion. We love the Victorian era and have stayed at many B&B across the country, but never one as magnificent as the Stegmaier Mansion. The detail in the decor was unbelievable! The most elegant and fabulous furnishings I have ever seen. The ceilings in the mansion were a true work of art, you can't help but to keep looking up at them. Breakfast was served outside of our door on a silver tray with silver plates and silver lids, muffins,bagels and fresh fruit along with a rerigerator full of snacks were included. Our Host Joe Matteo was very gracious and assurred us the entire house, not just our room was ours to wander about in if we so desired, and we did! We felt as though the house belonged to us.The Mansion is in walking distance to downtown Wilkes-Barre and many local attractions. I will be in Wilkes-Barre again in a few months and I will definitely stay at the Stegmaier Mansion. It's not just a room, it's an experience. Carol & Bob McCormick , Newark, DE

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DULUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay in the Wilkes Barre area as our nephew was getting married and we wanted to have a Kissin Kousins reunion as well. So glad we found the Stegmaier Mansion. It was perfect, we rented all the bedrooms and have so much fun gathering in the Brewmaster Suite. I stayed in the Amelia Suite and if you want to feel like a queen, I suggest you stay there!! In the morning we found the best homeade bread waiting for us outside the door. The Mansion is decorated to fit the Victorian era, it is like a museum you could spend hours just looking around in every room. Thanks Joe we had a great time and will be back next time we need a place to stay in the area!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion? Share your experiences!