“Breathtaking...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilkes-Barre
The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion
You added The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion to your Saves list
304 South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Wilkes-Barre B&B and Inns
Yokohama, Japan
“Breathtaking...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed one night at this mansion in this June invited the American couple. It was one of my long-cherished wishes to visit and stay at the mansion ever since I had seen the pictures on internet in Japan.

I booked the Gold Medal Room for myself and the Amelia’s suite for them but, not only the both of the rooms but the whole mansion was like a stunning, breathtaking museum. It was far beyond my imagination. Each little décor and the architecture was spectacular perfection of beauty..it was just inexpressible, speechless…there is no word that could explain fully about the beauty of this mansion. I can only imagine that the time, passion, energy, and affection toward the mansion, the owner, Joe Matteo, has spent. I’m sure it is still ongoing and this kind of work never ends for the compression or to maintain as long as the mansion exists.. and I really admire him for his respectable hard work. I really think that this mansion is more than just a place to stay or BB but it’s a historical heritage and deserves to be a national treasure.

I also want to mention that the mansion is magnificent not only the seeming but also its service. There is a mini kitchen in the room with microwave, toaster, refrigerator with full of snacks, a wide variety of beverages, fruits, etc. Breakfast is waiting in front of the door in the morning, so that we can sleep as long as we want.

My only regret is that I wish I could stay longer…one day is not enough to explore and enjoy the exquisite beauty of this mansion…my one night stay was ended in sighing of admiration…

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

In town to visit family, my husband and I reserved a room at the Frederick Stegmaier Mansion. We love the Victorian era and have stayed at many B&B across the country, but never one as magnificent as the Stegmaier Mansion. The detail in the decor was unbelievable! The most elegant and fabulous furnishings I have ever seen. The ceilings in the mansion were a true work of art, you can't help but to keep looking up at them. Breakfast was served outside of our door on a silver tray with silver plates and silver lids, muffins,bagels and fresh fruit along with a rerigerator full of snacks were included. Our Host Joe Matteo was very gracious and assurred us the entire house, not just our room was ours to wander about in if we so desired, and we did! We felt as though the house belonged to us.The Mansion is in walking distance to downtown Wilkes-Barre and many local attractions. I will be in Wilkes-Barre again in a few months and I will definitely stay at the Stegmaier Mansion. It's not just a room, it's an experience. Carol & Bob McCormick , Newark, DE

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DULUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay in the Wilkes Barre area as our nephew was getting married and we wanted to have a Kissin Kousins reunion as well. So glad we found the Stegmaier Mansion. It was perfect, we rented all the bedrooms and have so much fun gathering in the Brewmaster Suite. I stayed in the Amelia Suite and if you want to feel like a queen, I suggest you stay there!! In the morning we found the best homeade bread waiting for us outside the door. The Mansion is decorated to fit the Victorian era, it is like a museum you could spend hours just looking around in every room. Thanks Joe we had a great time and will be back next time we need a place to stay in the area!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Several friends and myself visited the Stegmaier specifically because we love Victorian architecture and decoration. And, I can wholeheartedly say that we were not disappointed in the least. In fact we are already planning another trip (four hours from where we live) just so we can visit the Stegmaier again. The house is simply fantastic and even if you are not that 'in' to Victorian, you'll love the hospitality and comfort of the inn. Owner, Joe Matteo, makes you feel incredibly welcome and is so very willing to share the home's history and restoration stories with you. Our two rooms (a two-person bedroom and a three-person suite) were spacious, comfortable, and beautifully appointed; each had a fully stocked mini-kitchen (coffee, tea, soda, juice, snacks, hot and cold cereal) as well as a place to sit and relax. It was the perfect place to have the delicious continental breakfast (really delicious pastries and a whole loaf of blueberry bread) that was waiting for us outside our bedroom doors (perfectly and beautifully plated on silver trays and serving pieces). We really felt like we had stepped back in time and our ladies maid had just delivered us breakfast! We were just sorry that we had to leave and could not spend the day sitting on the beautiful porch, having a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and enjoying the atmosphere. We also liked that the Stegmaier was within walking distance of downtown Wilkes-Barre and the square. If you are staying in Wilkes Barre make sure you stay at the Stegmaier!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful but those on the second floor are the most wonderfully decorated. All s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Thank you Joe for such a wonderful day. The ladies (and gentleman) of the Central Penn Doll Collectors Club had a most exciting time touring, tasting, and experiencing the grandeur of your mansion. Jody, the meal was delightful! I will be trying the recipes suggested, thank you. And for our lovely hostess, thank you so much for your Victorian lady dressing discussion. The reception was wonderful, I look forward to another bus trip adventure at the mansion.

Room Tip: Lovely bed and breakfast!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Plains, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband & I recently hosted a reception for our son & new daughter-in-law who were married two weeks earlier in Washington state. We wanted something different and we were extremely lucky to have found the Frederick Stegmaier Mansion in Wilkes-Barre. The mansion is a bed & breakfast, fully restored to it's former glory of bygone days. The mansion itself is elegant in every sense of the word, decorated in vintage Victorian. Absolutely breathtaking!!! Not only is it a bed & breakfast, but it accomodates small parties very well. We had about 40 guests and it worked perfectly for us. The chef is a master - the food was so delicious and presented so elegantly - our guests were overly impressed. It was certainly an event to be remembered - no one would ever expect such a jewel to be hidden in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. We also treated the new couple to a night in the "bridal suite". They enjoyed it immensely.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were in Wilkes Barre for our daughter's wedding. She wanted a beautiful setting the night before her wedding and the next morning so that she could get dressed and have pictures taken. I found the Frederick Stedmaier Mansion on line and was happy to know that we could have 3 rooms for 2 nights. We were overwhelmed when we finally arrived! The mansion is beyond beautiful and so full of history. The owner, Joe Matteo was marvelous. He made us feel right at home and showed us to our rooms and gave us a brief history of the mansion. The rooms are large and equipped with small kitchens, which are fully appointed with milk, coffee, tea, as well as fresh fruit and pastries and all matters of sundries. My husband and I also hosted a brunch for 40 people the day after the wedding and it was amazing. The food was delicious and our guests were delighted by the beautiful details of the mansion. It is a great location for an event. Joe and his staff are absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: Tell the owner, Joe Matteo, exactly what you want or need and he can guide you to the best room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion? Share your experiences!