“Not bad for a one nighter” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center

You added Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   880 Kidder St, Route 115 and 315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Greenwich CT
“Not bad for a one nighter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I found this hotel on priceline for $89 a night. I was away on business, so I had to find the cheapest place. The Red Roof is cheaper, but I assumed that the Quality Inn would be better, considering that this place is a 1.5 star and the Red Roof is a 1 star. Well, last night and this morning, I found out that a half of a star does not make much difference.

When I arrived at the Quality Inn, I noticed there was a TGI Friday's in front. I checked in, got the little card, and enjoyed a Jack Daniel's burger before I went into my room. That was quite convienient. The rooms are accessed from outside, giving it a little bit of a motel feeling, but not bad. I got to park right in front of the door to my room, so it was actually more convienient for me.

When I entered my room, my first impression was common- a normal economy room that will make me glad to leave early for work. Nothing special, just a good old bed, a working TV, a bathroom complete with a sink, a mirror, towels, soap, that's it. The carpet wasn't in the best shape but it wasn't ripped or stained. The TV had a good picture but it produced a slight but noticable high pitched sound. The mattress wasn't hard, but it was certainly firm. A little too firm for me, and my standards are quite low. The sheets were fine and the pillows smelled like detergent, not vinyl.

The bathroom is the typical toilet and shower with the sink and mirror right outside of it. The toilet leaked constantly, making a noticable sound. The shower was probably the biggest pain in the butt in the whole stay. It has two knobs- one cold, one hot. I configured them so it was about 90 degrees, just right. Half way through my shower it suddenly got ice cold, in other words going from 90 to about 40 in a second. After about 4 seconds, it warmed back up. Then it suddenly became as hot as it could get. To make the whole situation even more annoying, when it became freezing cold I was wetting my hair, and when it became hot I was rinsing out the shampoo. It ended up going in this cold-hot cycle until I turned it off.

The free breakfast was worth the price. The bagles were tough as leather. The bacon was very oily, as if they were deepfried for quite a while, then drenched in oil. The orange juice had a very odd tangy taste that I've never tasted before in orange juice. The apple juice was okay. The cream cheese was the best part, since it was actually fine. It made the tough, tasteless bagles taste good! The breakfast room is very large and roomy, something rare in the cheaper hotels. It features the news on a big screen TV.

Overall, other than the shower situation and the breakfast, it wasn't bad for a one night stay for business. An extended stay, something I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Quality_Inn_WB_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
It seems we let this traveler's comments fall through the cracks!! I am so sorry for this!!

Since your stay 3 years ago, we have made many significant improvements to the hotel. We installed new Flat-Screen TV's with High Definition programming. We have renovated nearly all guestroom showers and installed new fixtures to eliminate the hot and cold water issue. We have also been improving the quality of our breakfast offerings by rotating menus, changing our suppliers and making improvements based on customer feedback. THANK YOU FOR YOURS!! Please stop back again if your travel plans bring you back to Wilkes-Barre.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center? Share your experiences!