I have stayed at this hotel before, in fact, I have reviewed it on this website before (recently). I was also pleased with the hotel, staff, and food. This time I was very disappointed.
My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Woodlands for one Saturday night (June 5). I felt like the price of the room was a big outrageous considering it is just in Wilkes-Barre. But we were always happy with the room and always loved the sushi at the restaurant so we booked anyway. We figured it would be worth the money. WRONG.
The room was fine as usual...clean etc. The bed was very uncomfortable though, which is weird because it usually isn't. My boyfriend had the hardest time sleeping.
We had dinner at Shogun....order sushi as always. It was terrible. The presentation was great but the actual quality was horrible. One of my rolls included shrimp tempura....it was so hard and over cooked you could barely bite into it. I was so disappointed. This is the main reason we come to this hotel.
Then, after a poor dinner we went to the outside bar for drinks. It was a bit overcrowded outside but I would consider that normal since it is June and it was a nice evening. Going inside is not an option though since smoking is still allowed indoors in PA....not used to that being from NJ. So we figured we would just go back to the room and order room service. The last time we were there we were able to order a bottle of wine off the room service menu.
We went to the room to look at the menu....no drink menu. We have been here before were there was a wine list to order from. Not this time. So we figured we would just order some loose beers....keep it simple and cheap. We ordered hummus and pita as well (which was good). We placed our order and we were told 15 minutes. Reasonable for 6 Coors Lights and a plate of hummus and pita. AN HOUR LATER it finally comes to the room. By now I'm so tired from sitting around waiting that I only have one beer...my boyfriend has one....and we go to sleep. Oh...the "room service" was delivered to us in what looked like a paper shopping back from the mall...so the beers were all over the place. A bit sloppy considering this ran me about $45.
The breakfast in the morning was good....so IF you stay here I suggest you take advantage. Eggs to order and the cook was super friendly.
So, unfortunately I do not think I will be staying here again. After the charge for the room, the terrible room service, and breakfast my bill was $307....to spend one night...in Wilkes-Barre. I feel like it was WAY over priced. When deciding what to do for the weekend we considered LBI and found ocean front rooms for around $150-$175....but we chose the Woodlands instead for the sushi. By the end of the stay I paid double what I would have if I went down the shore....and had horrible sushi. I really do not have any need to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains with a peaceful stream winding through, The Woodlands Inn is the premiere destination in Northeastern Pennsylvania for your next vacation, event, or business function. Step through our doors and take in a deep breath of fresh air, thanks to our smoke-free policy. Look around and you'll find beautiful ballrooms for your celebrations and special events, meeting rooms for any sized corporate function, and Alexander's in the Woods, a full service day spa. Featuring 2 restaurants, 3 bars, and Evolution Nightclub, you'll find no shortage of entertainment options as well. Plus, as the closest full-service, off-site hotel to Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs Casino, we offer a complimentary shuttle for all our guests. With countless rooms and packages to choose from, you're sure to find exactly what you're looking for at The Woodlands Inn. We are a member of Ascend Hotel Collection by Choice Hotels International. The Woodlands is proud to combine our impeccable array of services and amenities with the benefits of the Choice Privileges rewards program, resulting in a truly memorable experience every time. We make every effort to ensure the complete satisfaction and enjoyment of all our guests, and as a dog-friendly hotel, that includes your best furry friends as well! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your The Woodlands Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Inn ~ Ascend Collection By Choice Hotel Wilkes-Barre
- Woodlands Hotel Wilkes Barre
- Woodlands Resort Wilkes Barre
- Woodlands Inn Wilkes Barre
- Woodlands Inn Resort Wilkes Barre