“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before, in fact, I have reviewed it on this website before (recently). I was also pleased with the hotel, staff, and food. This time I was very disappointed.

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Woodlands for one Saturday night (June 5). I felt like the price of the room was a big outrageous considering it is just in Wilkes-Barre. But we were always happy with the room and always loved the sushi at the restaurant so we booked anyway. We figured it would be worth the money. WRONG.

The room was fine as usual...clean etc. The bed was very uncomfortable though, which is weird because it usually isn't. My boyfriend had the hardest time sleeping.

We had dinner at Shogun....order sushi as always. It was terrible. The presentation was great but the actual quality was horrible. One of my rolls included shrimp tempura....it was so hard and over cooked you could barely bite into it. I was so disappointed. This is the main reason we come to this hotel.

Then, after a poor dinner we went to the outside bar for drinks. It was a bit overcrowded outside but I would consider that normal since it is June and it was a nice evening. Going inside is not an option though since smoking is still allowed indoors in PA....not used to that being from NJ. So we figured we would just go back to the room and order room service. The last time we were there we were able to order a bottle of wine off the room service menu.

We went to the room to look at the menu....no drink menu. We have been here before were there was a wine list to order from. Not this time. So we figured we would just order some loose beers....keep it simple and cheap. We ordered hummus and pita as well (which was good). We placed our order and we were told 15 minutes. Reasonable for 6 Coors Lights and a plate of hummus and pita. AN HOUR LATER it finally comes to the room. By now I'm so tired from sitting around waiting that I only have one beer...my boyfriend has one....and we go to sleep. Oh...the "room service" was delivered to us in what looked like a paper shopping back from the mall...so the beers were all over the place. A bit sloppy considering this ran me about $45.

The breakfast in the morning was good....so IF you stay here I suggest you take advantage. Eggs to order and the cook was super friendly.

So, unfortunately I do not think I will be staying here again. After the charge for the room, the terrible room service, and breakfast my bill was $307....to spend one night...in Wilkes-Barre. I feel like it was WAY over priced. When deciding what to do for the weekend we considered LBI and found ocean front rooms for around $150-$175....but we chose the Woodlands instead for the sushi. By the end of the stay I paid double what I would have if I went down the shore....and had horrible sushi. I really do not have any need to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I booked this hotel expecting a nice, quiet, beautiful location. I thought the price was a bit high, but decided it would be worth it.

My first issue was that the TV remote barely worked. Took it to the front desk and requested new batteries. Batteries changed; went back to room. Still not working right. Back to front desk; different person. This time, she put NEW batteries in and then it worked.

Also, the hallways noisy - I was awakened at 2:30 am and again at 4 am by party-goers returning to their rooms.

My biggest gripe was breakfast the next morning. The website promised a 'free hot breakfast'. When I got to the restaurant, I was asked for my voucher. I wasn't given one when I checked in. Then I was told that the breakfast was not free on weekends - only weekdays. I mentioned the website and the manager said that I'd 'be his guest' that day and didn't have to pay. The entire episode left a bad taste in my mouth - it made me feel like I was asking for something I was not entitled to. I should not have to argue about paying for a breakfast that was advertised as free.

When I checked out, I was waiting for the desk clerk to ask if I enjoyed my stay. She didn't. I guess they really aren't that interested in their guest's opinion.

In all, I was disappointed with the hotel and would not return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Griswold, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I had the experience of staying at "The Woods" for 4 months while on business. I can't imagine staying any where else! The staff is INCREDIBLE from housekeepers,security,front desk, resturaunt and bar staff, even the maintenace staff were very friendly and attentive. i recommend stream side rooms for a really nice stay away from action. the view is great, and the sound of the stream while going to sleep was nice. yes, i actually left my door open every nite for the fresh air, and never worried. i'm sure somebody got in trouble for giving me such a great room for such an extended stay, as you are usually in the tower, but i hope i can get the same room when i return in the fall! thank you for making what was a long stay, feel like home. miss you all.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Altoona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

The hotel is convenient to the interstate and very easy to find. Was pleasantly surprised with the onsite eateries and spa. The rooms were on the smaller side, though that's typical of boutique hotels. Club Havana was the place to be for the Flyers game~bartender and atmosphere were great. :) I will stay with them again when I'm back in town!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Albion, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

My crew and I stayed at The Woodlands for an extended business stay and I can't stress enough how great the experience was. The staff treated us like royalty, but we felt like family. If there was ever anything that we needed, whether it be a conference room or a table at Tuesday night corporate karaoke, they were happy to help! After a long day of work it was nice to come back and have dinner and drinks without ever leaving the hotel- not to mention the countless nights we spent in the jacuzzi! I am on the road every week for business and the Woodlands was by far the best hotel experience that I have had. The Woodlands made my business trip feel more like a vacation than work!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Lancaster PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

As a customer of the normal higher end chain hotels, I was a little uneasy about staying here. This was booked by my employer. The girls at the front desk were attentive and even funny during check in, and got me right to my room. The room was streamside and was awesome! Everything was up-to-date and the bedding was great. I felt right at home. The only negative is that I had to walk a long distance to get to the restaurants and the bar. The deck overlooking the waterfall is great! The food is great as well. We ate in the sushi/hibachi place, and although a large group was loud and foul-mouthed (some people even left because of them) we had a good time.

I will go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I wouldn't even stay there. I could not even get halfway thru booking a reservation. The receptionist taking my information was so rude and obnoxious. She acted like she didn't want to be doing her job.

• Stayed May 2010

Been to The Woodlands Inn? Share your experiences!