“Unbeliveable place to spend time with family!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Pennsylvania
“Unbeliveable place to spend time with family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

The Woodlands was an unbelievable place to stay. The grounds are gorgeous and they are located minutes from great shopping and Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs. The room and common areas are beautifully decorated and VERY CLEAN, something I find to be important but something I don't find in many other resorts. We got a great rate, much less than I was expected. We were very surprised with breakfast-- great food, buffet style, with table service and it came with the room!! Everyone at the resort was VERY friendly and accommodating. The huge hot tub and pool were great for relaxing after a day at the casino. There are great restaurants and bars at the resort, if you choose. We could not find one thing to change at The Woodlands and will definitely be coming back soon. PS-- Even the toiletries were a good quality! This place allows you to get more than you can believe at a reasonable rate!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Wilkes Barre
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I stayed there about 2 weeks ago I took my son to see a movie you know father and son time get back to the hotel around 10:30.Walking down the hallway and I see two people kissing and not the type of kissing you want you 5yr old son to see that kind was hot and heavy no biggie I rushed right past into the room.I know 10:30 is late for a 5yr old but with my job I'm rarely ever home so I take the abuse from his mother later which by the way would be a much better thing then this place.Inside the room it smelled like something died and they tried to cover it up with fabreeze my son goes to sleep not for long the room next to us the people are fighting and from the sound of it they were drunk very drunk this went on till about 3 I called the front desk and after about 12 rings someone answered and said they'll send someone up to ask them to be quite well it was a cop he looked like a houseperson and when he asked them to tone it down they beat the hell out of him and the front desk told people that I was the one who called and complained so then they banged on the wall and said is this loud enough for you.I just got fed up got our stuff packed up went to the front desk and said I was leaving the girl behind the desk had this smile on her face like I could care less and yes I did tell them.I ask to see a manager and here's a good one nobody was there bottom line don't waste your time or money cause this isn't worth it not to stay or party.

I went to the club a few years back with my girfriend and if you enjoy being spoke to like you dumb then go there if you aslo injoy people not taking no for answer then go and if you like your car broken into then you should really go there.Drinks are watered down and the music is outplayed and the people look like their not the age their pretending to be

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
highland lakes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This was a horrible experience my car window was smashed in and my luggage was stolen leaving next day for Las Vegas . two navigator systems stolen and two blue tooths.My car was parked under a hotel window with lights on in parking lot and secuirity went to hotel desk and told them they said fill out form and nothing else was done no one from hotel came out to see anything.We called police and very nice filed report,went back in and they CHARGED ME FOR MY HOTEL ROOM

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Wow. . I was performing at this GREAT RESORT last year, and the year before thet. I wrote a review then, and now this place is even Better. They renovated all the rooms, and corridors, and the place was clean, smelling nice, romantic, great pub, GREAT pub food, GREAT BARKEEP. "Eddie" Great romantic restaurant, with an unbelievable buffet style breakfast. The hot tub is ever SOO big. Their swimming pool,huge. Their workout room is utterly fantastic . Lorraine on switchboards is soo beautifully voiced. Very pleasant . The "housemen" Bobby is such a sweety. Helped me whenever he saw me needing anything. At the front desk, everyone was pleasant . Melinda thank you! Bonnie, and Twiggy are head of the Housekeepers, and they do a "Tip Top " job. Thank you Rick, and everyone else, that makes this one of the best resorts around, and believe you me, I travel. A LOT. Me wonderful hubby" loved it as well. I wanted to cry when we had to leave. Cheers to all. Nata$ha Veru$chka and hubby Terrance

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I was there for a group event for the weekend, so there were not that many options of where to stay since all our activities were held in the ballrooms area. Hotel is easily accessible from the Highway, and it is located near lots of places to eat, however you cannot walk to many of these places. Parking is free and check in was easy and friendly. The hotel seem to have been built in different stages, so it has several “levels”, our room was at the end of one of the wings of the hotel. The room décor is modern, nice bed, nice linens, everything was pretty clean. Closets, well there were no closets, just some wall space covered with a curtain, but for a weekend trip I really do not need a closet. I heard all rooms had different closet situations. There is no tub in the bathroom, a nice walk in shower. Our room had one of those adjoining doors, and you could hear everything from the other room, but since we spend most of our time in the ballrooms area, this was not much of a problem. I did not use the spa. We ate lunch at the restaurant once, and the food, drinks and service was good. Did not go to the spa, but the indoor pool and the huge hot tub are a very nice feature. The controversial part of the hotel experience comes from the fact that the Woodlands is a hotspot for “Penntuky’s nightlife”. The hotel is the house of two night clubs. One is for a younger crowd, and the other one is for a much mature crowd and features a band. Also it seems that some radio stations have parties in some of the ballroom areas too. If you enjoy people watching, this nightlife hotspot can be quite amusing. Drinks are beyond cheap, and it seems that the staff of these night spots want to have as much fun as the patrons so sometimes your drink may take 15 minutes to get to you, but by the same token, they may forget to add it to your bill, so there is a trade off. The only people who are really serious about their job are the bouncers. These guys wear tuxedo shirts, with black pants and tennis shoes. In a way the whole thing is like stepping into the 80’s; as Madonna would pseudo say: “bouncers with an attitude, waitress that were in to mood, don't just stand there, let's get to it, strike a pose.” And there is a lot of posing, specially in the younger nightclub. Again, if you like people watching this place will prove to be quite amusing at night, especially because there are very few places in larger cities that host such a diverse crowd. Again, as it was explain to us, there is no other place to go in the surrounding areas, so you will see the boss with the secretary acting like they are 18 y/o, a Kentucky bachelorette party, many young girls trying to out-do each other with their J-lo/Beyonce looks and lots of guys trying to be either Ricky Martin or Snoop Dog, and anything and pretty much everything in between. Since our room was at the end of the last wing of the hotel, we really did not have any problems at night, but some of the people in the same event that we were attending mentioned fights, police arrival, etc. both inside and outside the hotel. I guess some of the night-clubbers, decide to continue the party and book a room, and some of the people leaving the clubs engaged in typical small town bar parking lot activities. I would definitely go back. I will make sure I get a room that is at the end of the wings, with no adjoining doors and that face the back of the hotel, not the parking lot. I will grab my drink at night and enjoy the floorshow, it is absolutely priceless.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
New york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

me and my boyfriend decided to go away for the weekend..a nice spontaneaous weekend get away...our plan was to go snow tubing...so we arive at Wilkes-Barre and the woodlands is on a main road so we didnt expect it to be marvelous..well we enter the hotel a little early than check in time which is 4...the hotel seemed to be very clean and my boyfriend has been there a couple times as a child and he told me that the jacuzzi is a 700 gallon tub(HUGE!!) so we went into our room and little did we know that we spent 300 something dollars on a suite!! it had a beautiful kitchen nice living room area and two balcony doors with a creek view and in the bedroom we had a hottub and the bathroom with two sinks and a shower..it was beyond our expectations...the people were friendly and then we foudn out that fridays are happy hour in their club so from 8-11 they were serving $1 drinks!!!! it was amazing great music!!...the only downside is that they are renovating so the restaurant they have serves only bar food which was also great the wings were probably on my top five best wings ive had..also the other downside is that tehy should renovate their bathroom just a little bit..but for a weekend i wasnt expecting half of what we got..we had the best weekend ever that we didnt even go snow tubing instead we both got massages at the spa in the hotel...which is also closing down...but i would def. recommend this hotel to be for young couples who love to go out and have a good time...and def try to book room 222 (our room) apparently clinton and bush stayed in that room when they visited wilkes-barre...and if you dont want to eat bar food the whole weekend there are atleast 20 different restaurants around the area...but be careful there is a LONG wait..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, De
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

I think the name of this establishment is a BIT misleading- it certainly is not my idea of a "resort"..but I suppose in the desolation of Wilkes-Barre,it might be looked upon as a semi-retreat from traffic lights and shopping centers. Decor is out of a 1980's-70's genre. Walls are about as thin as a polyester suit. Rooms are closet sized..therefore your closets are drawer-sized. "Hot" Tub was a "luke-warm" tub instead. "Complimentary" breakfast at on-site restaurant was uncomplimentary because we waited 20 mins to get seated...finally gave up and went to Dunkin Donuts.
On a POSITIVE note: ROOMS WERE SO CLEAN! Bed was comfortable. It was cool that there were clubs you could go to ON-SITE- in other words, not have to worry about driving anywhere. Desk staff was friendly and courteous. Bathrooms were IMMACULATE. If you wanted to, you could always feel included in people's conversations as they walked through the hall- sorry i had to be a bit sarcastic there.
Overall, this is a CLEAN place to stay with some possibily enjoyable amenities, but I think they should change their name,

• Liked — cleanliness. close to skiing.
  • Disliked — thin walls. cold water. not hot-hot tub.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Woodlands Inn? Share your experiences!