“A different experience two minutes from I-81” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
BETHESDA
“A different experience two minutes from I-81”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were looking for something a little different on the way back from visiting relatives. The Woodlands provided a nice alternative to a generic hotel. The location was surprising, relative to expectations. "Woodlands," but immediately adjacent to a highway? The design is a very clever use of the location. The design shuns the road and hugs the stream, providing a sense of a more remote location. The orientation to the stream makes for an unusual layout; this is not all rooms off a single hallway. We opted for a streamside room. The cold spring temps this year made infeasible what I wanted: sleep with the door to the balcony open, the sound of the stream filling the room. Maybe if we make the trip in the summer we can stop for that experience. Nice pool and giant spa: we were the only people in it on a Monday morning.

Room Tip: The "streamside" rooms cost more but provide the most different experience.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your online review.

Your thoughts about our hotel ring true in every aspect. You have to appreciate the quirkiness and uniquiness of our facility to really understand how we went about building and designing it around the surroundings.

570-824-9831

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Not sure why but I just like this place. Always get a streamside room - this is a must and worth the extra few bucks. You can lost here, at the property that is. Its not friendly to getting around but it may be part of the quirkiness that I like. The front desk staff is always very friendly and although busy, take time to answer questions and talk to you. Lots to do on property including bars, dance club and some pretty nice food choices. Convenient location and overall a place I do like to stay. The things that would turn others off is actually what I like (long choppy hallways, smell of chlorine from the pool, hustle and bustle of club goers till late at night, odd parking spots). I go for the service and the bed comfort.

Room Tip: Streamside rooms are a must. Although I don't know about the other regular rooms. Be prepared...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

It's nice to hear that you love our quirkiness, that's what separates us from the average cookie cutter hotel. Thanks for appreciating.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 570-824-9831.

Palmerton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband suprised me with a weekend get away for my birthday. We stayed overnight at the Woodlands Inn. It was our first visit there and it will not be our last. Our room was beautiful and so clean and very affordable. It was easly assessable. The workers were so polite and so helpful. The stream and scenery is wonderful. It was a very relaxing time and we can not wait to go back again. Highly recommend the Woodlands Inn as a great place to stay and unwind.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The staff here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job.

I am so honored that you chose the Woodlands Inn a member of the Ascend Collection from Choice Hotels while you were in Wilkes-Barre. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the staff will as well when I share it with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time your travel plans bring you to town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.

Shamokin Dam, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a really great resort with a lot of things to do in the area.The accodomations were very good. the rooms were a little small but very nice. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star is we were there with our dog and the pet rooms are in the main hallway where everyone goes through to get to the resturants and the dog would hear every little noise which was not good for us trying to get some sleep.I feel it would be better if it was not in the main hallway but that is not my choice. I would hope the hotel would consider moving the dog rooms into the side wing.I would not hesitate to tell anyone to stay here.Over all great resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here 2 years in a row, both mini ski getaways for the weekend. From NYC it's only 2 and a half hours away.

I went here with friends last year and we had a really good time because there's nightlife attached to the hotel. It's rural nightlife however but if you don't mind that it's really inexpensive and fun to people watch.

This year however was a family trip with my family (2 kids, 9 and 5). The best part of the woodlands in this instance were the restaurants attached. After a long day skiing, we were able to go back and shower and head to dinner at the brick over pizza place inside (the wait staff is just the best). I also realized that if you're there for a family vacation, the attached nightlife can be a little much, drunk girls in short sparkly dresses holding their heels and laughing loudly at 2 am is a bit annoying. Hearing the guest dj's entire set was not fun. As are the thin walls. Thankfully if you ski or snowboard enough you'll be too exhausted to notice.

Overall it's a great getaway in an inexpensive area. Snö mountain is 20 minutes away (just past some outlets) and Mohegan Sun is up the street so there's always something to. But make sure you're doing either or.

• Stayed February 2013
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your online review. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. The staff and management in both restaurants will be happy to hear about your comments.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Me and a few girls from work stayed here one night as we just wanted a weekend trip to Mohegan sun. we booked the "business suite" and it all seemed great at first until I found a stink bug on my pillow, the nightstand, the walls, the windows and the lamp. we found 8 bugs all over, and when calling to complain the entire staff acts like it's not a bug deal, "oh they're just stink bugs" is what they said. also, the club is insanely loud and you can hear the music all the way up in the tower where we stayed. also, the staff is very unfriendly, epecially the bartenders at crescenzos. overall terrible experience. they told us we could talk to the morning, and when we tried she was "out of town". would not reccomend

• Stayed March 2013
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Melanie,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your online review regarding your recent stay at The Woodlands Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the cleanliness of your room.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Wilkes Barre. Please feel free to contact me directly at: rosskornfeld@thewoodlandsresort.com.

Albany, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I should have abandoned booking this when the booking agent on the phone hung up on me. It looks OK from the outside, but the walls are paper thin, so neighbors talking (even in a normal voice) at 2 am sounds very loud, and you won't sleep; the pillows are some of the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever encountered; and the hot tub is gross and is in dire need of being cleaned. I've never so overpaid for a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room not at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sammaya, Owner at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Melanie,

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding just about everything you encountered on your recent visit. Why didn't you bring any of this up while you were here? We would have loved the opportunity to make it right.

570-824-9831

Been to The Woodlands Inn? Share your experiences!