“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Cleveland, Ohio
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed for a wedding that was on location. After recently bunking down at a Super 8, we were impressed at the quality and beauty of the Woodlands Inn. We had our dog with us, which, if you are bringing your dog, tell them in advance so they can book you a room accordingly. (An oversight on our part because I booked the room before we decided to bring the pooch. We shared a room and the couple we were with arrived a night before we did and didn't let the hotel know about the dog.) The beds were amazingly comfortable and the view was gorgeous. There was an issue with our dog barking on and off while we were out of the room attending the wedding reception. While we were upset to be interrupted during the reception and aggravated to be asked to immediately move to a different room, the concierge, Dennis, handled the problem beautifully. (We were interrupted during the first course of dinner and didn't get back to the reception until after the main course had been served.) We were relocated to a first floor room with access to the lovely grounds via sliding glass door. The room was closer to the reception, which was better for us anyway. While it was definitely an annoying problem, Dennis's high level of professionalism and customer service smoothed things over quite well. (I was very stressed about not being able to get the dog to stop barking anyway but I couldn't really control that!)
Be sure to check out the on-site restaurant and patio that overlooks the stream. There is a lovely bridge across the stream where we took pictures. You'd never know it was so beautiful from the road.
Overall, we were very pleased. Dennis did a fantastic job representing the hotel during a stressful ordeal. Truly good customer service is sparse these days.

Room Tip: Notify them in advance if you are traveling with your dog so you can get a dog-friendly room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelly N, Corporate Sales at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Katrina - Thanks so much for your detailed review... Traveling with pets can always be stressful for the owner, my puppy gets a little excited in new surroundings too, so I sympathize! We appreciate your coorporation in helping us address the issue, and also your kind words about Dennis - we receive many compliments about his great customer service. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
North Versailles, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort last week. We were traveling from Pittsburgh to New York and wanted to stay somewhere in between. It was the perfect time of the year to travel with the fall foliage. The Woodlands Inn is on a highway but is built into the woods. It was just aboulutly beautiful! The front dest clerks were so very friendly and helpful with the check-in. We arrived early (an hour or so) but it was'nt a problem. Our room was really clean, nice and comfortable. We booked the casino package, which by the way was a real bargin (even if you don't go to the casino). The employees that work here (we talked to several) never complained about anything but really enjoyed their job and were a pleasure to talk to. The jacuzzi room is so beautiful and hugh! We had a few drinks out at the cigar bar over looking a stream and the woods. We walked around the back over a small little bridge and had some quiet alone time. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The package came with a breakfast buffet and it was really alot of hot & cold foods that were great. They even had to- go cups for your coffee. I would highly recomend this place to stay. Also we did go to the casino in the evening for a couple of hours. The free shuttle is another bonus for this resort.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. The fall foliage in Northeast Pennsylvania is truly amazing - please keep us in mind for next year as well! I've passed your kind words on to our staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Harrisburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Our 25th class reunion was recently held at the Woodlands and I can honestly say that I heard not one complaint from any of my classmates or their guests. As one of the main planners for the event I can tell you that the sales staff is extremely friendly and helpful in every way. The food was great and the service was first class. So many of my classmates made it a point to thank me for the work I did planning the event but it was honestly no work at all. Once we made the choice to go with the Woodlands, all of my work was pretty much over. We stayed at the hotel that night and had a very nice room with a super comfortable bed. Would definitely stay again. I would definitely recommend the Woodlands for your next event in the NEPA area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. So happy to hear that your class reunion went well! We try to make event planning as easy as possible, so that you are able to enjoy the event with the rest of your guests. Please keep us in mind for future reunions - We'd love to see you again!
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Went for our anniversary with the hotel package deal, very nice hotel lots to do very friendly people. Close to the Mohegan Sun Casino plus they have a shuttle bus that takes you over there. The fall leaves were vibrant near their stream behind the hotel . Took a very nice walk and took lots of nice pictures. Restaurant staff was very friendly couldn't ask for a nicer time.. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived and they gave us two $5 vouchures for two drinks which was very nice. The beds were very comforable and clean crisp sheets. Didn't get to go to the clubs but heard they are great. The breakfast buffet was very good nice friendly staff.
We would difinitively go again in the future.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke make sure you ask for a non smoking room. The room we had was for smokers, my...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Congratulations on your anniversary, and thank you for choosing to spend it here at The Woodlands! We hope to see you again soon. You will also be happy to know that we have recently become 100% non-smoking in our guest rooms! We still have easy access to our courtyard area via the sliding patio doors (that way your husband doesn't have to go far!).

Hope to see you on your next special occasion!
Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Price was a bit high for the area, but the room was clean and the service was excellent. Hotel has two restaurants and shuttle service to the casino. Plenty of things to do at this hotel. Very satisfied. They also have a lovely oasis outside in the middle of the hotel. During my stay I had an issue trying to get a bus for my daughter to go back to college, and the Bartender grabbed her phone and tried helping as much as she could, calling everyone she could. I have stayed at a lot of hotels, but never had the service try that much to help someone out.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I booked this hotel months before a marathon. Upon arrival, the outside of the building is in disrepair and just old looking. Hardly any parking at all. The lobby was ok. We were directed to our room, which was on the first floor right next to the elevator. I had specifically requested a higher floor, away from elevators. The fact that there was a big wedding going on there confirmed my suspicions that I'd be up all night listening to partyers in the hallway. We went back to the lobby desk to ask for another room, but were told they were completely sold out. Also, we booked a non-smoking room that smelled like someone just finished smoking a cigarette in it. While debating our options and sitting in the chair in the extremely small room, a bug dropped on me. We left the hotel, and did not stay there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kelly N, Corporate Sales Manager at The Woodlands Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our property. Due to the recent flooding in the area, and the fact that you stayed with us on a holiday weekend, it is likely that we did not have another room to move you into at that time. We are currently undergoing some construction in our parking lot, the end result of which will add more spaces in the future, though we know it can be inconvenient right now. Checking on your reservation, it does not appear that you were located near an elevator - however, you were not on a higher floor, per your request. At times, when booking through a third party (such as Hotwire, Travelocity, etc.), some requests are not communicated properly to the property level and I apologize for any miscommunication on that end. Typically, our guests are pleased with their stay at our resort - I would like the opportunity to show you what The Woodlands has to offer.
Please contact me directly, my extension at the property is 345, or you can reach me by email at Kelly@thewoodlandsresort.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I came up to spend the night and did a package deal. The value was great, the casino shuttle wonderfully convenient. The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in, and the breakfast buffet had lots of good options. The only issue we had here was noise... if you want a peaceful, good night's sleep, this isn't the place to get it. Our room was on the lobby level, in a hallway leading to the nightclub and lounges and it echoed like crazy. It wasn't that any guests in particular were being overly loud, it was that everything that happened in the hallway could be heard clearly in our room from conversations, to sneezing, to other guests unlocking their doors. We were awakened several times throughout the night. We really wanted to give the Inn a great rating because everyone was great there, but we left more tired than when we arrived. Maybe a room in the tower wouldn't have these problems?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Woodlands Inn? Share your experiences!