“Rude employees, bad food, rooms horrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Route 940, PO Box 9, White Haven, PA 18661   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
A TripAdvisor Member
“Rude employees, bad food, rooms horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

My husband, our two children and I recieved a promotional package to go to the Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa for 3 days/2 nights for a very low price, in return we had to attend a timeshare presentation.

First off, this resort is tucked away FAR from the road with a sign on the road about 100 feet high, which no one can see. We drove past it and into the nearby town. When we called the resort asking for directions, a girl named Amanda answered and I told her we were lost. She was completly oblivious to giving us directions and kept laughing when I told her I didn't know where we were. Finally, my husband pulled off to ask someone and we THEN found where we were supposed to go.

When you arrive at the resort you are greated by driveway lights that are out, numerous pot holes and a mud put that we later found out was a lake. The place was deserted when we arrived, but we remained optomistic.

The lobby area of the hotel is very pretty and quaint. Something you would expect from a Pocono Resort. I went to the front desk to check in and was again, greated by the same girl on the phone. I was not asked anything, but "Checking In?" in a rude tone like I was bothering her. I told her my name and filled out the necessary paperwork. During this time she was constantly talking to another employee. It took me about 10 minutes to check in because she would not pay attention to me. Finally she told me I had to speak with a sales representative to get what I was promised when I made my reservation. She told me I had to go get my husband from the car. When I told her he was in the car with my sleeping children, she laughed and told me to wake them up and bring them in. I later found out that my husband could have come in seperatly.

After I brought my husband and children in we had to wait about 15 minutes and then found out she had never let them know we were there to see them. No apology or anything from this girl. Finally after all was said and done we went to our room, which was nothing like we told it would be. The rooms are shabby and dull, and haven't been updated in forever. They do not supply fitted sheets, and my children kept knocking off the sheets during our stay. We were not allowed more than 4 towels to our room. And our blankets had an odd smell.

The grounds are beautiful, but very worn down. The miniature golf needs a new paint job, we had decided to use Split Rock Resorts, but nobody informed us it was closed that day. The restaurant was terrible. We waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken, and our food was cold when brought to us. The hostess, Marine was very nice and kind. She took my husbands steak back to be warmed, since our server didn't bother to check on us throughout our meal. My husband ordered a drink and it was very weak, and cost a fortune!

The day we were set to take our timeshare tour, we were called at 11:00 asking us why we were not checked out when we were approved for a late checkout. I later found out it was the same girl who checked me in that called me. We were told we needed to be out by 12 or they would charge us.

The timeshare sale is a joke! My representative tried to shove a timeshare at this dump down our throats. Even after we told her we were not interested and the horrible time we had. You have to size a dozen papers stating you don't wish to purchase and why. In addition, they lie to you beyond belief! After being at this resort, and seeing what it is like, we knew one lie from the other.

I will never attend one of these "deals" again. It was a waste of money to go here. I would rather spend 3x as much and go somewhere for the weekend that is decent!

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

My son and I went in response to a timeshare sales weekend offer. From the first moment I spoke with the timeshare reps (to get our "welcome package), they were rude, sharp tongued and certainly not customer service oriented. It started with the fact that I had not obtained an "authorization" number when I called in the afternoon to alert them that we would be getting in late. That was my first "horrendous error". We were able to hookup with some friends for the day but we were actually harassed for having done so. My son had to go to the bathroom so I "mistakenly" gave my son and friend the room key. From that point on we were actually followed and out and out harassed. To make a long and horrible story short, we checked out after one night because the atmosphere was so miserable. I thought we were supposed to be having fun and enjoying the atmosphere. The timeshare staff were truly "not to be believed" in their level of rudeness, the hotel is in desperate need of updating, we had to park very very far away, there was virtually nothing for the kids to do other than the (so-so) game room and the pool which was devoid of anything fun. In all honesty though, the massage at the spa was wonderful. However, as soon as I emerged from the massage, the "lovely" sales rep was in the spa actually waiting for me for some accusations and more harassment. There went the $70 + tip for the massage as they aggravated me within seconds! Don't waste your time even if it doesn't cost you anything.

• Stayed February 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2006

Hello, in January, my wife and I traveled to Mountain Laurel Resort. We booked our trip before reading the reviews from Trip advisor. After reading the reviews
(many of them not so good), we were scared and wanted to cancel our trip, however it was booked and we could not do so.

Once we arrived at Mountain Laurel, we were relieved as many of the reviews we read were exaggerated. The resort was very nice and we had a blast.

Since we own a time share, we were able to get our room (1 bedroom) with kitchen for a reduced price. At this price we paid, it was a bargin.

The room was fine, comfortable and we had no problems at all.

We enjoyed using the indoor pool, which was very large and to our benifit, very empty as the resort had very few other guest when we stayed (as the winter time is there off season which was a shock to myself).

We also did horseback riding and for the $25 charge was well worth the price.

As for the restaurant, "Touch Of Vanilla",
we had breakfest there on Sunday morning.
We wound not recommend anyone to go there,
as the buffet was over priced and very little
to offer (there was a dinner in White Heaven
that we enjoyed much more and the price was
good).

We were told that Touch Of Vanilla will be closing
anyday and they are going to open a new Italian restaurant.

As for the staff at Mountain Laurel, we found
them to be nice and friendly.

All in all, we had a good time and have
nice memories.

• Stayed January 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mt. Laurel in April of this year. We are currently Timeshare owners, and space banked our week to come up and see how the place is doing. Now we're not the type of people who expect 5 star service because this place doesn't have it. And we knew it upon arriving.

When we checked in, there were 2 people runnning the front desk, and eldery woman and a young girl. When we got there, and were standing in line to be helped the elderly woman screamed at my girlfriend when she went to go pick up a paper, "SOMEONE WILL BE WITH YOU, WAIT IN LINE!". We blew that off, figuring she was busy and thought we needed attention. Finally, the younger girl checked us in. She couldn't find out reservation amongst the the other guests reservations. I told her I made my reservation through timeshare, and he went into the computer and found out that they never changed my arrival date like they said they would. She called us Interval and settled everything. The whole time, the elderly woman kept gettign into our business asking question upon question. I get the whole, "be nice to the guests, make them feel at home" but this was getting out of hand. The ladies standing with me in line were obviously becomming very upset as well. And I don't blame them. I myself was ready to walk out if she didn't stop butting into my business.

When all was said and done we filled out the necessary paperwork. I realized I forgot my credit card at home, and my girlfriend didn't have one. All of a sudden the eldery woman starts saying "I need your card or you dont go to your room!" Finally we gave her our debit card, and not knowing what was going on she proceeds to tell me my card will be shredded. By this time I had anough of her butting into our business, and not even attending to her own customer who was clearly annoyed. it was enough to push me over the edge when she kept calling my girlfriend a sir, or him, or your boyfriend. The whole check in consisted of about 30 minutes because she couldn't mind her own business.

We had to leave early sue to my father falling ill. When I went to the desk to check out, the same woman was there. When I told her I had a family emergency she proceeded to ask what happened. I told her my father fell ill, and had a stroke. She then went into how her husband is sick and whatnot. Now, I'm in a rush to get out of here and this woman is telling me about her husband being sick. PLEASE! Finally she let it go when I spoke up, and then handed me an evaluation form telling me to fill it out at my leisure. When I looked at the bottom, she had her name written on the outstanding employee part. I asked her for another and she asked why. I told her her name was on it, and she stared at me blankly. When I finally asked her what the young girls name was who checked me in, she said she had no clue who it was, even when I described her as working with her a few nights ago and being younger with long brown hair. Still she had no idea. So I handed the paper back to her telling her I didn't feel right filling in someones name when I didnt even know their name. And she practically screamed at me "FINE!" and walked into the back away from me. She never bothered to give me a receipt or take my room keys. Which down the road, I remembered and had to turn around and return, only to find out she charged me $25! This woman was RUDE!

Don't lose your keys or they will charge you! They have old fashioned keys, not the modern up to date keys.

The snack snop was closed half the time we were there, but the food isn't that great to begin with. The restaurant is closed half the week and only open for dinner. It had horrible service the time we went there. Thank god we had a full kitchen to cook in.

The indoor pool was shut down, and the pool tables were out of order. Being an owner here, I was very dissapointed. Nobody knew when anything would be fixed.

We were woken up late at night by children running through the halls banging on the doors. The security guard finally came down and found them. After that, it finally stopped.

This was one of the worst timeshare stays we've encountered since we bought 4 years ago. I will probably exchange next year.

I think they need to reconsider their employees and train them to deal specifically with their jobs. I've encountered many nice and many rude employees during all my my stays.

All in all, if you are looking for a nice place to get away to, I would reccommend Mountain Laurel. The rooms are big, and nicely furnished. A fully equiped kitchen, complete with dishwasher and everything you need to cook. it is a nice family resort. if youre looking for romance, don't go here.

• Stayed April 2005
South River, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2005

My husband & I & 8 yo daughter went on one of those "time share previews"--a reduced rate at the hotel in return for the 90 minutes spiel about all the wonderful advantages a time share brings you. We really had no intentions of buying, but liked the Poconos & thought it would be worth it.
First off--the hotel lacked all ameneties that we are used to--coffeepot in the room (having to get dressed & drive to the WaWa for that first cup is annoying), no hair dryer, ironing board & iron (although those are available for sign out at the front desk), & just very shoddy furnishings, decor, etc. The restaurant is only open certain evenings, & charges a mandatory 17% "gratuity", meaning there is no incentive for service. The snack shop served nothing remotely healthy, & was closed several times it was supposed to be open anyway. The mini golf was a disgrace--falling apart pieces, greens, etc. The "8 lane bowling alley" at Split Rock had 4 broken lanes, several of the other arcade games were out of service, & it was disappointing to have to keep looking for something that wasn't broken. The spa was completely booked for our time there (the one thing I was looking forward to), one hot tub & both steam rooms were out of service, although the fitness center & pools were nice enough, & appeared to be maintained well. My daughter & I did get to go horseback riding (as others have said, we had a wonderful time with that, as the stable is independently owned & its employees are not employed by the hotel, just affilliated with it) & she did enjoy the childrens programs, allowing my husband & myself some time apart from her.
The capper, however, was at Split Rock on our last full day there. We rented a paddleboat on their lake--the first was broken, although we weren't told that till after we couldn't get it to work (the boy at the dock didn't bother telling us, although he was the one who helped us cast off from the dock, nor was it marked as unusable in any way.) We then got in another boat, & were capsized (yes, we went overboard) by a speedboat. It took the people on shore 10 minutes to get to us (we weren't that far out) and luckily another paddleboat was able to take our daughter to shore. We lost 2 cell phones, a PDA & a camera, but they weren't interested in even helping us get a police report filled out to help with insurance claims--no one there was willing to take responsibility for anything. My mother tried calling us that night after getting our message about what happened--since we were at dinner, she couldn't get through to us, but we were never given the message that an extremely frantic woman was trying to get in touch with us (mom said the person talking to her was very snippy)
Actually, the true capper was the last morning when we had to listen to the time share spiel, even though we were up front about not wanting to buy. (When we said we were unimpressed with anything we had seen thus far, we were told that since we hadn't paid very much, we shouldn't complain.($149 for 3 nights, 90 "resort dollars" back to spend there, so we "spent" about $59 for accomadations for 3 nights--yeah, we got EXACTLY what we paid for). At the end, when we signed the paper saying we weren't interested, we were told "Just a minute, then you'll get your gas voucher" (our last incentive from our original offer). A minute turned into 10, so we knocked on the door of the office & asked when it would be coming. The man there came out YELLING at the top of his lungs, "WAIT YOUR TURN", eventually called security (frightening our daughter w/ all his yelling in the process), & we can't even complain properly because no one would give us their names!!! We will be writing to both the hotel & the time share company, but I'm not holding my breath for anything to come of it. We did however, as we were leaving, promise that we would tell everyone we could our opinion of the place & the timeshare sales people--So take this with as many grains of salt as you wish--it was our experience & opinions, and they are very poor ones indeed.

• Stayed August 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

We are timeshare owners with Mtn.Laurel. This is the 1st time we were able to use it. When we arrived our room wasn't the model however decent. There was plenty of room for our entire family. We set out to see what the grounds were like and found they weren't that bad. We thought our children would enjoy the pools, and activities for them. There really wasn't a night life or activities for adults like horseshoes, bocci, or shuffle board tournaments. Although these things are there for your use. This Resort is more of a family resort so bring your children with you they'll have a good time.
The activities director was very imformative about attractions in the area if you wanted to venture out. We did go on their weekly rafting trip and had a great time.
This resort is decent.

• Stayed August 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

Last summer-2004, our family decided to go to Pennsylvania. We own a time share in another state. We booked Mountain Laurel, at the time, because it looked like it had several amenities and was only a couple of hours away from Hershey Park, Lancaster County, etc. As I began to inquire further about Mountain Laurel, I became very hesitant after reading the reviews, some where very negative, others were ok. I wasn't looking for a 5 star resort, simply a nice place for our family to stay in Pennsylvania. We took our trip and recently returned (June 2005). As a frequent traveler on business, I've stayed in a wide variety of hotels, resorts, and conference centers. My non business travel with the family has consisted of hotels, cabins, and even a popup camper. The point that I'm trying to make, I've traveled around the United States and stayed in a variety of places under various conditions. My kids (ages 10 thru 17) had a great time at Mountain Laurel. As we drove up to check in (the first appearance that we had of the resort), I saw the parking lot could be better paved in the back, the outside of the building looked older, etc. The inside of the lobby was a dark rug and the lighting could have been brighter. However, initial appearances aside, the kids had a great time and because they were having fun, it made the trip very enjoyable for my husband and I. The rooms were older, but they were clean and larger than I expected. About a month prior to our trip, we received an information letter that let us know the basics (a common practice for anyone that has stayed at a resort, etc). however, it's still peace of mind knowing you have your reservations in hand as you walk up to check in, it also includes all information concerning the kitchenette and what is supplied, bedding and what is supplied, etc. We found the staff to be friendly. We had a one bedroom suite. It had a kitchen with microwave, refrig, sink, closet, table for 4 and place settings for 6, etc. 2 full size bathrooms (which was a MAJOR plus!), one bedroom which had two full size beds in it and a TV, and a living room with a pull out queen size couch and another TV. The queen size pull out was adequate to sleep on for the week. The kids slept in the bedroom and at 9:00pm, we shut their door and they watched TV until their bedtime. My husband and I enjoyed the TV in our area ....and we enjoyed the quiet after our busy days. As far as amenities, I did not visit the spa but we did see a lot of the resort. The outside pool was open for a few days and closed a few due to the colder weather. There is a 'lake' under construction, which will have paddle boats, etc. we were told. Both pools were very clean. The inside pool was great and the kids loved it. There was no shortage of chairs near the pool and the pool area and furniture near the pool were clean. I'm not sure when the negative reviewers were there but I did not find any areas unclean. Older, yes, but clean. As far as the kids, there was plenty to do. The "activities room" was central for activities. This is where you sign out the basketballs, tennis rackets, bocci balls, shuffle board equipment, mini golf clubs and balls, etc. They also have a puzzle of the day to guess and win a prize, BINGO, board games, etc. There are outings scheduled such as white water rafting, etc. and daily there are events throughout the day for the younger kids (I'd say 12 and under), my kids, of which 3 are teenagers enjoyed the basketball, pool areas, etc. We made short day trips to Hershey Park, Amish area, Cabela's etc. and they had a lot of fun. There was a playground that a lot of the younger kids played on, I saw an ice skating rink that would be used in the winter, I walked the nature trail daily and jogged it, as well. We "jumped" a deer in the middle of the path. The horse back riding was great and the stable people were very nice. My 10 year old enjoyed a pony ride, as well. We bought groceries at a local supermarket and cooked in our kitchenette. We also ate "on the road" for our day trips. Did not eat at the restaurant in the resort. However, there's a reasonably priced snack bar that the kids frequented. After the first experience with the arcade games and the vending machines, the kids chose not to use either area because there money was lost too many times, in both. The arcade was vacant probably because of this fact - no refunds. However, there is another room with pool tables, etc. which is enjoyable. Also, there appears to be a daycare center - we peeked in and saw 4 preschoolers reading and coloring with two of the employees at the daycare area. Later, we saw them playing mini golf and playing on the playground. They appeared to be having a great time. Well, that's it. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with a door person and elevator attendent, you may want to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a place for the family to have a fun time, this was fine for us. If given a choice, I would do it again, it worked well for us.

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!