“Unique Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in West Middlesex
Canada
“Unique Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel is so different that you start to wonder if you are really in a Holiday Inn chain. It is a big step up in luxury in the halls and other public areas with attention to detail in the rooms. We stayed here twice within 9 days. We have never seen a Holiday Inn like this before and most likely we never will.

We are not sure what made the owner spend extra money on halls with nicely framed pictures, beautiful carpets, plants. Not to mention the amazing large waterfall with stone work outside at the back of the hotel. This area also includes miniature golf, gazebo, patio, benches and statues. Nice place to sit down for a snack and listen to the waterfall. .

Right at the arrival they offer you a drink, nice touch. I could continue with a description, but I would just be repeating what other reviews with 4-5 stars ratings are saying. I basically agree with those comments.
We always read negative reviews too, since sometimes they might have some merit. Not in this case. They are just personal issues. The only small glitch might be the AC- Heater unit, which could not be switched off; it runs continuously, so you have to choose between heat and AC. But it could be physically unplugged by locating the AC cord at the floor level. This was in King Suite room.
The other complaints were about finding this place. This hotel is worth the detour from Hwy 79. It takes about 15 minutes on Hwy 80 and then a short distance on Hwy 18 N. Be prepared to make a quick 180 degree sharp right turn to Spangler Rd. leading to the hotel, which is visible at that point on the hill. For some reason our GPS (Garmin) was confused about this area in general. On one occasion when coming back to the hotel from Hermitage, it took us on Hwy 80 in the direction of Mercer.

I believe that this is most likely the only Holiday Inn Express I will ever give a 5 star rating.
(We have visited 350 cities, 53 countries).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Plum, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying here for a golf weekend. Excellent facility,
clean rooms and a friendly, helpful staff. Would definitely return!
The breakfast was excellent as were the snacks available throughout
the day.

Room Tip: A few of the friends we were with had rooms near the ice maker & elevators, they said it was a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Very happy with our room and the hotel. Pool was nice, breakfast was great, service was outstanding. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Love the pancake making machine and the 3 hole mini golf. Room was clean and had a fridge as well to keep our stuff cold. Staff was very friendly throughout the hotel. Lots of smiles from the staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A quick nights stay here while our daughter visited Westminster College. Very friendly and helpful staff. Helped us find a nearby restaurant and then called us to see if everything was fine with our room after checking in. There was also popcorn and cookies for guests in the lobby area.

Grounds were nice. Waterfall, indoor swimming, three hole putting course, and a cornhole game too. The room cost a little more than some of the area hotels, but as we discovered that's usually a good thing. A common theme during our visits to some of these remote hotels; we drove by two of the area hotels while driving to get a meal. Both had large groups of people with coolers hanging outside their rooms and blocking the walkways. I was very thankful to have chosen to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Breakfast was very good. I'd never seen an automated pancake maker, but they had one and my wife loved it. The hotel was very clean. The people seemed to care a lot about their hotel and it showed. A few neat little features just around the hotel to show they cared about their customers and hotel made it worth while. If my daughter does decide to go to college here, I'm sure I'll be back...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is out third time at this inn and we will stop again. Place is immaculate. They have food in the evenings and a happy hour where mixed drinks or beer is $.25 each, yes twenty-five cents. My husband had a very nice martini. The breakfast was excellent. Wide variety of choices. In the evenings, in the lobby there is popcorn, cookies and fruit. Rooms are large with refrigerators. Staff is extremely pleasant. Decor is very nice. Nice view of the surrounding area, since it is situated on a hill.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is nice, very nice!
Landscaping is one of the nicest i've seen at the 200 or so IHG hotels and other brand hotels I've stayed at. (Orange Lake FL is nicer, 1,400 acre resort though). Small but very well maintained, pond, tiny mini golf, water falls.. super cool to walk around.
The night we checked in, they had a complimentary bbq and drinks which was great, everything was fresh, well prepared and as some items were running low, the staff kept bringing out more.
Fresh fruits (apples/bananas), popcorn, cookies, chips, were also available at the front desk.

I travel for work, and spend close to 100 nights/year at hotels, with a majority going to IHG hotels. I mostly travel alone and don't care for the "Complimentary room upgrade" that platinum members are supposed to receive, if rooms are available. On this trip my wife and two children came along and i was hoping to take advantage of this benefit for giving most of my hotel business stays to IHG hotels.
Upon checking in, I asked the clerk (young girl) if I could get a complimentary room upgrade for being a platinum elite member, her response was "I can't make that decision" she also mentioned that there was a "suite" available if I wanted to pay for the rate. Thinking she was new, I thought she might not even be aware of the IHG loyalty program or the benefits IHG claims for their platinum elite members.
On my way back from the car with my luggage, i noticed a gentleman in a suit, thinking he was the night time manager, i asked him if there was another room available as a complimentary upgrade for a platinum member.
He replied, "Subject to availability, we are all sold out." I informed him that the girl sitting beside him said there was a room available, unfortunately he rudely cut me off repeatedly saying "subject to availability" and then he apparently got upset and said "someone will book that room".. and kept repeating "subject to availability" while i kept walking to the elevator... Nice hotel but perhaps managers should not feel the need to belittle their guests, to prove their superiority to new employees.
Needless to say i will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
expressmanager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sharon/Hermitage, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Platinum Elite Member,
First, thank you for your positive comments related to our hotel grounds and our managers' barbeque party. Second, please accept my sincerest apology for our associate who was discourteous to you and his coworker. As an IHG Rewards Member, I am sure that your understand the terms of the program. This person was not the night manager and although what he was saying is correct, his manner was impolite. I am sure that he did not understand how his demeanor was being perceived.
I ask that you reconsider visiting us again. It is important that you check on our progress and offer additional feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay! Very clean and up to date. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It was nice to be offered a soda or water at checkin, as well as a fresh fruit bowl and popcorn. They have a nice pool, small workout room, putting green...just nice all the way around! A good value for a nice place.

Room Tip: Some rooms are still smoking rooms (yuck!) so make sure you don't get a room near those if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sharon/Hermitage? Share your experiences!