“Enjoyable Visit- good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Persian
Description: in the gateway shopping center off rt 202 near Valley Forge park
Description: in the gateway shopping center off rt 202 near Valley Forge park
Rochester, NY
“Enjoyable Visit- good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

No fireworks the evening we were there. Everything seemed to be running smoothly, staff was polite and helpful and cooperative, and they even offered us a small sample of the rice bowl.

Walking by the front of the Kabab Cafe one might think it is a semi fast-food restaurant in a strip mall and walk on. That might be a mistake. It's not "fancy" but clean and nicely decorated. If you look at their web site you get an accurate picture of what the interior looks like (kababcafe.com) and their offerings and prices.

I think lunch is their busy time for workers in near-by offices. We were there about 5-6 PM and there were about 4-6 customers while we were there. A number of phoned in take-outs went out the door.

Food was excellent. My brother had a chicken kabab plate (joojeh); I had a beef patter (barg). Both were excellent and appeared promptly (but then they were not busy). Both were nicely spiced and came with rice and your choice of an interesting side salad. Quantity and quality were just great. I'm sorry I didn't try the falafel as that's often a good test for a middle eastern restaurant.

I'd certainly go back if I were in the neighborhood again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Devon, Pennsylvania
“Sorry this is a dump”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011 via mobile

Please do not waste your time here. Food is bad. Service is worse.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Domestic Violence in the kitchen, fear of finishing meal, still startled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

PLEASE DO NOT EAT HERE!!! I went for lunch with a friend and we got maybe 3 bites in and all of a sudden heard screaming in the kitchen (so horrible I thought someone was having a heart attack) We turned to the other diners (who had a clear view of the kitchen) and apparently the one guy (who I believed to be the owner) drug the one female employee across the kitchen and into the back area) We did hear hysterical F*** you repeatedly coming from her mouth) When the guy came out, another female patron said to him "you do not treat women that way" He told her that " This is my *** restaurant and I'll treat them however I want" And then he told her that maybe she should *** leave. (the woman was there with her mother and baby girl) We had to leave too, I couldn't stay anywhere near that and my appetite is still gone. (and I'm usually a very good eater!) Please don't support this establishment, I am still shaking, I thought the guy was going to get violent on the other customer too!

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Homemade and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

This restaurant is owned by a very nice family who serve delicious Persian dishes. Such a nice change from the usual lunch options. You'll like the beef sandwich called a koobideh and stews. Rice is yummy and side dishes are refreshing. Try the cauliflower. Try something new....

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norristown, Pennsylvania
“reasonable prices for good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We tried out this little local place on a Friday night and found that the food was good, not great. The prices were reasonable. The staff were helpful and friendly. The decor is simple and the background music was soft and pleasant. There are no wait staff, so you order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. We tried the Lamb Kabab which is the most expensive item on the menu ($14.99). It came with a large pile of basmati rice and a grilled tomato. Meat was well spiced and tender. The rice was just rice and the tomato was good. We also tried two salads - the cauliflower and the mixed persian. I liked the cauliflower and my husband like the other. We also tried a wonderful dessert - three chocolate baklava rolls. The lamb and the baklava were my favorites. We will probably go back and try something like the falafel or a gyro. Since there are not many Persian restaurants around, we will return and give them another chance to impress us. There was no doffee when we were there but my husband tried the tea which he like and I loathed. I also tried a yogut soda - probably an aquired taste.
I can only compare this to Persian Grill and the food is not as good, though the prices were lower and of course the atmosphere is different.

• Visited February 2011