“Good fun, great food, some staff need to drop the attitude!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
White Dog Cafe - Wayne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 100 Restaurants in Wayne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: White Dog Cafe is committed to serving the finest organic ingredients from local farms promoting sustainable, healthy dining and a strong community. Our contemporary American cuisine is prepared from our heart, blending seasonal ingredients and bold flavors with a refined presentation. Both our Wayne and University City locations provide unique and comfortable dining rooms paying tribute to everyone's beloved best friend. Open for Lunch, Brunch and Dinner with Happy Hour specials.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good fun, great food, some staff need to drop the attitude!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and I came to meet friends for dinner. We were early and decided to have a drink in the bar. We sat at one of the bar tables because the actual bar was full. The waiter who came over gave us such attitude I felt like telling him "hey I'm a journalist from New York City cut the c**p because I know attitude" but I restrained myself. I saw him go to the Maitre D' to complain about us (mind you we hadn't done anything wrong we just sat at his bar table... we were dressed more appropriately than others who walked in in shorts--Prada ring a bell?) The Maitre D' must have confirmed we were waiting for another couple who had reserved in the "library" (which is actually first come first serve). Once our friends arrived and we were seated in the "library" (which is quieter). Our waitress was divine but that waiter annoyed the heck out of me and needs a redressing. Especially for the burbs-- this ain't NYC and all the parking and seating problems this restaurant has had with the township should make them a tad grateful they have as many patrons. Food was very good. I split the Fried Shellbark Hollow Goat Cheese salad with my girlfriend which was yummy. Three of us had the pork chop which was to die for, my husband had the Creekstone Farm Filet Mignon, it had way too much blue cheese. We split the Brownie S'mores dessert which was decadent. Wine list is way over the top price-wise......this is not NYC again! Wow!! I gave the restaurant higher marks than normal because 3 out of 4 had terrific meals and our waitress was superb but the first guy left a bad taste in my mouth. He was downright rude to my husband who is a good preppy-type guy. We won't be back very quickly and hate to throw my weight around but do when it concerns those who don't deserve mistreatment.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, PA
“Beautiful decor, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was my second visit to White Dog Cafe. The interiors are spectacular and the staff is friendly. The food, however, is just average. I had the Mexican chicken salad. There was cold chicken with no flavoring, out of the can kidney beans, some cubes of avocado, some taco strips, a dressing, but no real Mexican flavors. My friend had the steak salad which was sliced steak cooked to order with a wedge and red peppers and a salad dressing. The dessert was a s'more that we shared. The brownie was dry, the marshmallow impossible to cut, and there was also an ice cream with a flavor I couldn't identify. We had cokes. Our bill was $61 before tip.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“White Dog - good food, "friendly" servers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We brought friends from DC to dine at White Dog Cafe in Wayne this past Saturday evening. Although we had a reservation we had to wait at the bar, which turned out to be a plus. The overly friendly bartenders showed us how they flavor gin, vodka and other drinks with herbs and fruit. The concoction of the day included strawberry gin and was very refreshing. Once seated our overly friendly waitress provided us with excellent service. They will laugh at anything, which truly is fine, it's just that we all noticed that they try very hard to be your new best friend. The pork chop was flavorful, and the crust on it was amazing. Kudos to the chef and to management for a pleasant dining experience. Be sure to ask to be seated in the library, the decorations add to the experience.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“BEST DINING ON THE MAIN LINE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I grew up in Bryn Mawr and moved away years ago. Every time I would go home, there were slim choices to eat. But now, thanks to the WDC, I'm elated.
Great food, excellent service, cozy and chic. We had the Beet Salas (wonderful), Tuna Tartare (the best) Pork Chop (so tender) Filet and the mac and cheese (decadent)
Total for 4=less than $200 with drinks, no dessert. But you can eat here for less. By the time we left, it was packed, so book a table. I'm sure they get mobbed. (No Philly pun intended) Now we have a New York worthy restaurant on the Main Line. Cheers WDC, we'll be back.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Good food, high prices, and fun -- if you are lucky.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

I have had three meals at White Dog - a mid-afternoon lunch; a large brunch party; and a dinner party. At off hours, the place is quiet and the bar food is good. If you plan a larger group, make sure you go in advance to choose the room and the tables, and talk to the actual manager. A last minute party could get you placed at an awkward table. The staff is green and at least one hostess would rather be a model than help people get what they want--young and self-impressed. The sad lack of great restaurants in the area accounts for the big success. The trendy decor delights some and annoys others. How many poor paintings of dogs do you need to convey the canine nomenclature? The small middle room is cozy and might be best for actual conversation on a busy night.

Visited March 2011