“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sparrow Pond Campground

Sparrow Pond Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterford
Sparrow Pond Campground
11103 Route 19 North, Waterford, PA 16441   |
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have camped at Sparrow Pond for three years. We keep returning because Sparrow Pond is friendly, safe and secure. The grounds and buildings are well maintained the sites are spacious. They could do a better job of cleaning the lavatories and showers. There are many planned activities on site during the summer and Sparrow Pond is close enough to numerous activities in Erie including shopping, dining, Splash Lagoon water park, the Erie Zoo, Waldameer and best of all, Presque Isle State Park.

We prefer the sites in the loop by the reception/recreation building, restrooms and pool rather than the ones in the section by the pond and tubing hill. This area is prettier and has more grass and trees.

I have walked through the tent camping section but never saw anybody in there until our first trip this year, May 16-20, 2012. This part of Sparrow Pond is unattractive and inconvenient as there are no water spigots unless they are well hidden. A Boy Scout troop from a church in Erie set up camp in the entire area and had a big time. If you are not with a good size group, I recommend spending the extra dollars and pitching your tent on a site with water and electricity in a nice part of the campground.

When we made our reservation for the May trip, which was not pre-season, we should have been warned that an oil well was operating over by the pond between the restrooms and the tubing hill. Glad we don’t stay over there! During the week, work began at around 7:15am and was heard throughout the campground. It was noisy, ugly, dirty, and as you neared the site, smelly. We were told that it would be gone by Memorial Day and saw evidence that the removal process had begun. When we returned for our second visit August 21-26, 2012 returning home on the 27th only a huge, dirty, dusty area and some kind of a building remained.

We chose the August dates because they had a Bluegrass Festival on the 24th, 25th, and 26th. It was poorly planned. I didn’t hear any music on Friday between 5pm and 10pm but was told that one band played for about an hour. Music was to start at noon on Saturday but did not start until later in the afternoon due to several no shows. There was no gospel music following the 10am non-denominational church service starting at 10am. The music was supposed to continue until 5:00 pm.

We recommend Sparrow Pond. It has lots of great qualities. However, chose your site carefully and skip the Bluegrass Festival.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tamara M, General Manager at Sparrow Pond Campground, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hello,
I want to apologize for the Blue Grass Festival. It was planned from a group outside of Sparrow Pond. Unfortunately it did not do well at all. We will not be holding that event in the future. As for the construction, we are adding 20 more camping sites and 5 Cabins.
We hope to see you back next season!

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Northeastern Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I took my 4 boys to Sparrow Pond Family Campground this summer and could not have been more pleased with the campground! It was an easy drive from our small suburb, west of Cleveland, Ohio and we found the entire area to be delightful! We stayed in a rustic cabin (with a/c...I wanted to camp, not die in the 105F degree heat), which was perfect. Plenty of room for the 5 of us, comfortable enough and sturdy. Which came in really handy during a pretty severe storm that blew through. The site was lovely. Lots of trees, very clean. Our neighbours were considerate and friendly. The staff was wonderful. The pool was the perfect size for my 4 boys ages 12-4, the pond was great. (They loved feeding the geese.) There was plenty of room for the boys to run, play and have a great time. The little playground was nice, the basketball court always had balls at the ready and I liked that the campground had a gate that secured the premises at night. The campground was VERY conveniently located just south of Erie. Head straight up I-79 (Peach Street) and you were only 10-15 minutes away from a ton of family friendly fun. Waldemeer, Presque Isle; with the great (and FREE) Tom Ridge Environmental Centre (and a fabulous library next door) and all the beaches. Also, the Erie Maritime Museum and the Flagship Niagara. (A ton of fun for the kids...lots of hands on stuff for them to do.) The campground is perfectly situated off the beaten track, yet close enough to a good size city for when you need to run to the grocery store, or Target/Walmart for a few necessities you left back at home! I can't see us going anywhere else. If I had ONE suggestion, (and it is a SMALL one), it would be that the floors of the (very clean) restrooms/showers NEED non-slip mats. The floor gets VERY slippery. I took my 4 boys by myself and felt completely at ease at Sparrow Pond Campground. I would love to recommend it to everyone, but I am afraid of the place getting TOO popular and make it hard for me to get a reservation! We WILL be back. :)

Room Tip: The rustic cabins were a great deal. For only $10 more per night, you can have a/c at night. The cab...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We called about 2months ahead to make our reservations for 5 nights & I requested a site close to the bathhouse because I have a disability & can't walk far. I told the woman on the phone my reason for needing a site close to the bathhouse, she told me she could accomadate my needs. Imagine our surprise when we arrived that the site she had us on was so far from the bathhouse that only about 4 sites were further away. Then to make it worse the site was so unlevel we had to get one side of the trailer up 5" and it could of gone more but we didn't feel safe.
You get a gate pass to get into the camping area which is kind of nice but as another reviewer stated there are 2 sections of this place & your pass won't allow you to enter the other gate, so if you want to see the rest of the park you have to walk. We decided to give it a try, the worst that could happen is I couldn't walk anymore & my husband would have to get the office to allow him to drive in the other side. It took quite some time but I finally made it to the pond in the middle, there is a path that you can take to get back to the other side; we took the path knowing I never would make it back the way we came, but the problem with the path is it brings you right in the middle of a campsite that someone was using! But you don't know that until you come thru the path.
The ladies room was always clean & the showers had great water pressure, which you usually don't see at campgrounds. DO NOT take a shower at night though, the lights are on timers, which I didn't know, so there I am at 11:00pm in the shower & it goes pitch black, I mean you can't see your hand in front of your face. The middle shower stall water pressure isn't as good as the other & of all times for me to use the wrong one. So I was in there screaming for quite sometime until my husband heard me & came to my rescue, my hero!!!!
The mens room wasn't so clean, from the first day we got there my husband seen a tag from someones clothes sticking out of between the stall walls until the last day there, it was still there. That was mild, one night he went in & didn't notice there wasn't any toilet tissue until he needed it, IN EITHER STALL....he wobbled over to the ladies room @ midnight praying no one was around to get tissue. Four days later one stall still didn't have paper in it, he checked everyday.
As for the good, the sites do have a lot of room & the pool looked very nice. The hay ride was big & actually had hay on it even if the driver & one other person in the back kept screaming "hay ride" at the top of their lungs over & over never stopping.
The office/store don't have very long hours, so plan on getting what you need early or go to the nearest conv store.

Room Tip: Be sure to insist on a level site
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Excellent place to stay while visiting Erie. It is extremely clean and has gates for safety.Great for seniors too.We'll be heading back this summer (3rd year).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Sparrow Pond Campround is a great place - we loved it. This was our first trip with our new camper and everything went well. The sites were not right on top of each other and we even brought our dog. Our son loved the pool and there was even a hayride in the evening. The place was very clean and everyone was friendly- we will go back.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Uniontown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We paid for a "premium site" which is right up against the pond, and is lovely and peaceful. HOWEVER, right across the street from our campsite was a HUGE "Fracking" thing that was going each weekday morning and had deisel trucks running around it. Also was an unsightly fenced-in area that seemed to hold huge green tanks of water or whatever. Not sure if they were digging for oil or gas but it sure wasn't the 'peaceful camping that we usually like to enjoy and this being our first time at Sparrow Pond, it was very disappointing. Also, during the week , the local football team practices and SHOWERS in the campgrounds shower houses. So each morning we were treated to the sweaty footballers walking IN THEIR JOCKEYS down to the showers. We stopped the office one night trying to buy bait at 7:56pm and the office was already closed(should've been 8pm) and there was no help in sight. They were hosting the local football team's get-together i the adjoining building that night also. The pool was great and clean though they do like to BLARE the music so that you can hear it from your campsite and it makes it hard to call your little ones while at the pool. I don't usually go and give reviews but as NO ONE has mentioned the industrial stuff that is going on there, I wish I would've have known. I understand if they are trying to make improvements in their property, but we, who are paying, should be forwarned!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

Only 8 miles off I-90, this is the nicest private campground in which we've ever stayed. The staff was very welcoming, especially to our dog, and for those lazier campers, the local pizza place delivers a delicious pie promptly. The bath houses were small but clean and had plenty of hot water. Our camper site was beautifully shaded and had no trash or cigarette butts. Some sites were in full sun, but overlooked a cute pond, so choose accordingly. There was even a short dance party for the kids at night, and a security gate at the camp entrance. Overall a great, clean experience.

• Stayed July 2011
Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Glass House Inn 4.5 of 5 stars 327 reviews
View all 0 hotels in Waterford, ranked by popularity

Been to Sparrow Pond Campground? Share your experiences!