“Upscale Buffet At Carvery Restaurant, Meadows Casino” 4 of 5 stars

(724) 503-1200
Website
Improve this listing
West Newton, Pennsylvania
“Upscale Buffet At Carvery Restaurant, Meadows Casino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had dinner at the Carvery on 4/16 -1st time since Terrace was retrofitted to include buffet. Price was $19.99.
Layout was around perimeter with 4 sites; salad/entrée, hot vegies/carbs & soups, hot meats with "carver" and deserts. Layout was fine and sites were clean and stocked. Plates were square shaped immediately under start areas. To me, this change in layout and tables was a nice improvement.

Salad/appetizers area selection reminded me of international type selections not normally seen in a buffet-very good. I would guess there were about 20 different items. Ding for having 2 baskets of baguettes which were filled but sign-display only-and 1 hard roll was hard-guess leftover from lunch.

Hot foods/carbs/starch 4 types-selection ok for me
Soup cup was fancy shape like a dory boat and easily spilled my soup while I filled the cup.

Hot "carvery" selection as I re-call included prime rib, pork filet, salmon , 4 small "Polish" sausages and chicken. I only had med rare prime rib-which were sliced thin (normal) and it was fine.

Deserts were a small selection. There was a mini doughnut maker; 2 types of cobbler and puddings selections in a parfait glass.

Service was very good

Compared to Wheeling-
Carvery -Much cleaner looking and nice layout and a non-herd mentality for getting food.
Understand when we were eating around 6pm it was about 1/2 full.
Wheeling has a larger selection of deserts as the only positive for comparison.
Don't know about Friday sea food selections for Carvery.

Remaining Menu Items
Most of the menu of the "Terrace" remains and I think price was adjusted up about a 1 dollar for many items.
As the Terrace Restaurant, we would get the queen cut prime rib with soup or salad and starch (fries at times were lousy) for 13.95. Deserts selections including pies are no more.
Obviously the management determined a change was necessary as "Terrace Restaurant" and to my liking as a good move!

Ding-lack of selection for "no sugar" type foods but this isn't the only place for that issue.

I know no one at the Meadows and this is my opinion.

West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
“Tight but nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I love the availability of the machines and ease to play.But I feel that when they are giving something away -- they are very tight. I love the Food Court and it's food selections. Great food.
Haven't been to the Terrace since it opened the Carvery. Before the change -- the food was excellent(especially the steak). The atmosphere is much better than the Rivers.(We live 15 minutes from the Rivers and 60 minutes from the Meadows-- but prefer the Meadows.)

New Martinsville, West Virginia
“First Visit, Mehhh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I made our first visit to The Meadows and we'd probably be disinclined to go back. We ate at The Carvery and for a recently-opened restaurant they sure weren't very accommodating. My first issue was being told, after finishing my first Long Island Iced Tea about halfway thru the meal that I couldn't have another for so many minutes due to policy. Quite frankly I felt scolded like a child rather than a 44-year-old adult. (Not being big drinkers, my boyfriend and I have a two drink limit when we dine out). However as my boyfriend's drink contained less alcohol, he was good to go, which hey, fine by me - he was driving. The waitress did ask if I wanted a water after about 10 more minutes....ya think?!? I eventually was permitted another drink when our meal was practically finished & my boyfriend was trying in vain to get a cup of coffee to go with dessert. The food? It was OK. We ordered the buffet & what was on there was fresh but a lot of the bowls were empty or almost. I'm not sure who they're catering to, at $14.99 (lunch) it was reasonable and there were a lot of older people dining there but a lot of the selections seemed a little pretentious. And the drink thing wasn't a deal breaker (I was just taken aback) but the service was substandard and the food so-so. What really got me was the party of 6 that came in & they couldn't/wouldn't seat them together because they "had no servers" at the 2 top next to where they sat 4 of the party. Really? Could they not push 2 tables together? All the tables were either 2- or 4-top so that was a sticky wicket to begin with. Anyway, as a result, the party of 6 spent their meal hopping up to visit each other at the other table. I would have walked out to start with. We went on & played a few slots and I even went hog wild and had another drink (wonder if the cocktail waitress noted the time like in the Carvery). I found the casino to be clean, it didn't reek of smoke & there were plenty of slots to choose from. I came out ahead - we're not big spenders, so that was a treat. I just wish the dining experience wasn't such a downer.

McMurray, Pennsylvania
“Leave your money at the door”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been going to the Meadowlands Casino since it first opened and found the atmosphere and play favorable, up until last summer. Not sure what happened but the machines no longer allow for much play. Seems like if something is being given away.... Watch out because the machine play is horrible. Also found that the same patron names seem to be called for drawings... Coincidence? Or Rigged? I thought it was just me, but after talking to others as well as observing not so crowded weekends, something is wrong there. I heard there is going to be a campaign to woo people back.. Let's hope it will include loosening up the machines, as well as give better drink and food discounts.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Another enjoyable time @ the Meadows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just a couple of hours on a Tuesday afternoon: watch a couple of horseraces, lunch in the food court, play a few slots. We didn't win this time, but that didn't prevent us from enjoying the atmosphere. When we do go to the Meadows for dinner, or happy hour, or live entertainment we are always satisfied

Visited March 2014