“Stay somewhere else!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Washington B&B and Inns
USA
“Stay somewhere else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I wish I had read some of these reviews before booking off their website. Anyone who wrote an exceptional review must be related to the owners. This hotel is old, rundown, and in desperate need of a facelift/scrubbing top to bottom. Checking in we had to search around and yell to find someone to come to the front desk. This was the least of our problems though. The mattress was like sleeping on a marshmellow and you could get a full body micro dermabrasion from the sheets. I had to ignore the feeling as though the sheets hadn't been cleaned from the previous night. We stayed two nights and returned to the room the first night at 7pm to find no one had cleaned our room. We had no clean towels so I called downstairs to ask for some. It took two calls to get someone to answer the phone. When I asked for towels, since no one had cleaned our room, the gentleman was very apologetic and asked did we want him to come up and change our sheets. I replied no but we needed towels (I couldn't reuse towels since they were laid on floor after showering to walk on). He didn't seem surprised that the room hadn't been cleaned and led me to believe I needed to ask for service or there would be none. It was odd. There were several notices/signs in the building referring to "tenants". I wondered if this was a reference to town people who live in the hotel utilizing state aid or something. The whole experience was surreal.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Jeannie,

I deeply apologize for the poor experience that you had at the George Washington Hotel. As you can understand with a historic hotel there is always a need for upgrades and improvements. We are currently in the process of a multi-million dollar upgrade. We are redoing the lobby, adding new mattresses and bedding, upgrading our elevators, locks, expending our parking, upgrading our cable and wireless internet. We are training and adding to our front desk and housekeeping staff.

We'd like to offer you GC for a free two night stay (including dinner for two) to give you another chance to experience what the George Washington Hotel is really about. Please contact the hotel and ask for Chris Belcher, Director of Operations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mount Joy PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I needed to book a room in Washington on short notice and I decided to give the George Washington a shot based on the web site I found. We arrived at check in time - 3pm on Saturday. The guy at the desk told us he thought the maid was done cleaning the room. We went upstairs and she was still in the room. We waited for about 40 minutes in a sitting area right off of the elevators till she cleared out of the room. When we entered the room, I found the shower hardware laying on the toilet and there was hair in the tub which had many stains which I took as more dirt. We decided to go to dinner while the problem was fixed. The guy at the front desk told us that the maid had reported the issue with the hardware from the room but he didn't know how to find us. Umm, I booked the room with a cell phone and I'm pretty sure I gave that number to them....That night, there was a children's christmas party in the suite down the hall which we could hear them plain as day and also an adults party in the ground floors which we could identify the music being played from our suite on the 6th floor. The TVs must be tuned from an antenna since there were only 10 or so channels and half of those are CSPAN and Shopping and crap channels. The next morning, we got up early because we had to be at our event at 8:30am. I turned on the water in the tub and it was ice cold. I let it run for ten minutes and then my wife called the desk to ask them why we had no hot water. The girl at the desk was unaware and said she would call back. 10 minutes later WE called back and were told there was no hot water to any rooms. We skipped the shower to avoid being late and went to check out. I put the key on the counter and this girl said 'Okay that's all I need'. Then, as I hesitated to leave since I was expecting an offer of a partial refund or at least a heartfelt apology, she asked if I needed another receipt or something.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I just stayed at this hotel for a weekend wedding and was appalled at the condition of the facility.

During our one night stay, we experienced two rooms. We moved from our first room due to an offensive odor, blood stained sheets and walls that were so thin I felt like my neighbors were on the pillow next to me. Management moved us to a suite on the same floor, but unfortunately it was only a larger, not better, room. This room had holes in the ceiling, no shower curtain, a dirty toilet seat and a crack under the door that a dog could have crawled under. After switching rooms we were so disgusted by the rooms cleanliness that we went to Wal Mart at midnight to purchase sleeping bags and our own pillowcases.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

On business for a couple of days in Washington, The George Washington Hotel was perfect for me, room was very clean and spacious...They have a bar and restaurant on site which was a big plus for me not to have to go anywhere after a long day working. Staff was great...
Read other reveiws and I was surprised of the negativity..Staff was very very helpful...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful response! I am glad to hear that you had an excellent stay at our hotel, and I hope to see you the next time you are in Washington! I will share with my staff that you had a wonderful stay, and if you ever have any questions, I will be glad to assist you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010 via mobile

Wow, where to begin. This is by far the worst overnight experience I have ever had in 26 years of travelling. Smack dab in the middle of Main Street of the most depressed town hosting the most degenerate group of employees I have ever witnessed, you will find the Historic George Washington Hotel. What a joke. The room was of abhorant condition. It was too hot to sleep, dirty and cheap decor throughout. The restaurant food was worse than the crap they serve in an inner city cafeteria. Even worse than the food, was the person who served it. Really! I can't even begin to explain the level of unprofessionalism exuded by this woman. It's beyond belief. I could go on forever about why you should avoid this hotel like the plague...believe the other negative reviews, they are true! Best advice, call the hotel and ask a few questions. Let the ineptitude of the staff be a clear indication of what your stay will be like.

• Stayed August 2010
Hello,

I apologize that your stay at the George Washington was not as pleasant as expected. I am new to the hotel and will pass on this review to my step in an effort to further our hotel, because anytime a guest, any guest, does not have a good stay at the hotel, myself and the other management staff has failed as your host, and I don't like failure. Several steps have been made in an effort to further guest service, and we will continue to make strides so that this type of situation does not happen. If you happen to come back to Washington, please contact me at 724-225-3200, and I'll be glad to make this right. Thank you.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Got a room for a wedding at this location. The rooms were about 85 degrees with little window A/Cs to try to cool them. It didn't work and the staff was absolutely useless when it came to helping out the guests. The food was edible and that is all I can say about it. The hotel could be really nice since it is so old and has a lot of history behind it. If you have to stay in washington pa find anywhere else. And if you are thinking about getting married here, don't do it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
FMikusi, Manager at The George Washington Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your stay didn't go as well as you would have expected. The things you mentioned, about the AC units and staff, is an issue that has been addressed. There is new management in all facets, and guest satisfaction is our #1 goal. If you happen to come in to Washington, please give me a call and I'll personally look to it that your stay is enjoyable. Thank you.

central Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed two nights at the GW. It is a wonderful old building that could truly be a jewel, but isn't. The huge lobby is baren of anyplace to sit, which should have been a clue that it would be nothing grand. The staff was the most inept bunch I've ever seen. Customer service and knowledge of the area was totally lost on them all. The banquet rooms are obviously the main income for the place. Much of the building is just empty space...nothing like you would expect in a grand old hotel. The room was a good size, but cheaply decorated. The bedding had a three inch stain and a pillow sham had several spots of blood on it. The headboard of the bed was two twins screwed to a bare piece of wood. The curtains were cheap sheers with no light blocking possible. It was very muggy out and no a/c. It was too warm to sleep, even with the window open the small amount of opening possible. The transom over the door to the hallway was permanently painted open, which allowed all hallway noise and light to come into the room. The security code we were given was a joke because I opened the door without using it. We were told that it was too much trouble to make people use the code and that they tried to keep the door ajar. The elevators were scary. Getting a second chair in the room seemed more than the staff could handle (and they were uncomfortable) and getting a bucket of ice seemed a major issue. We bought a bag of ice after being told that it would take time and that they had to go back through a banquet room to get any.

The restaurant is very poorly serviced. Staff were actually yelling across the room at each other while people were dining. The food was okay but nothing great, but the lack of service and (again) lack of comfortable seating caused that to be our last meal there. Also, the restaurant is next to the smoky bar and people were back and forth through an open doorway between the two. We heard a "waitress" (she shouldn't be) telling another couple about how great the band (related to the owner/manager) was and that the bar would be packed soon. When we walked by later and looked through the window, that couple were the only two sitting at the bar. A couple others were at tables, but it was hardly packed. We had breakfast the next morning in the Cafe and were the only patrons. The waitress was the only person there that we felt knew what she was doing. The breakfast, however, was the absolute worst. It made McD's look like gourmet food. The place is a hidden gem still in hiding and needs management and staff that know what they are doing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for the honest review, and indeed the hotel is a gem, and it is the goal of myself and the fellow managers to get this hotel in the right direction. It has been a focus on checking everything for the guest, to make sure that everything is correct everytime. If you are back in Washington, I'd love to have you give the hotel another shot, and if you want to contact myself directly, you are more than welcome to.

Director of Operations

Been to The George Washington Hotel? Share your experiences!