“I'd love to live in this house!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stony Point Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tyrone
Stony Point Bed & Breakfast
You added Stony Point Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1400 North Avenue, Tyrone, PA 16686   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Tyrone B&B and Inns
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“I'd love to live in this house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Beautiful, traditional house in a beautiful setting with a history that is very interesting. Impeccable cleanliness! Comfortable bed, spacious rooms. The innkeeper is very interested in making sure you are comfortable and have what you need. Breakfasts were out of this world.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My mom and I stayed here just for one night for my move-in day which was the next day here at Lion's Crossing. This was my first time at a Bed & Breakfast so I really didn't know what to expect. Plus, I'm a foreighner so these things are not common for me. I was used to hotels, which Paul, the innkeeper described them really well. He said they where boring, in the way you always know what to expect (which is true). The thing is I had no expectations at all, but even if had any it would've exceed all of them, by far.
First, the house was very neat. It is almost impossible to believe how clean things where and the only responsible for that was Paul.
As for the innkeeper, Paul, I found him a very inspirational person with lots of motivation and he's willing to succeed whatever happens. He wanted us to try his "new thing" which was cheese and wine. The cheese was delicious, I can't say the same thing as for the wine due to I'm not 21 yet ;)
In conclusion, it is a very nice place to stay, very cosy, excellent attention.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montgomery County, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our stay at Stony Point B&B was awesome! We had a family reunion to attend at the end of July, and since we live 3 1/2 hours away I was looking for a B&B that my son and I would be able to stay the night at.
After making the reservations over the phone, Paul, the innkeeper, and I must have chatted on the phone for at least 20 minutes. He was very pleasant and very easy to talk to.
When we arrived at Stony Point, Paul was there to greet us and he was just as pleasant in person as he was on the phone. We were running late getting to the family reunion, so Paul told us to go and that he would take care of our bags for us. He was extremely helpful.
The rooms were impeccable! They were clean, cozy, and the bed in my room was very, comfortable. This place would be great for a nice, romantic weekend.

I thought we'd have to check out by 10 AM like other places, but Paul told us there was no hurry. He makes a great breakfast, and he even caters to folks with food allergies and intolerances. He made Belgian waffles for breakfast, but since I can't have wheat he made scramble eggs and bacon for me-- the eggs were just as I like them-- moist and light--- not dry and overdone.

While my son was watching the game on T.V, I had a chance to chat with Paul. After talking with him for nearly an hour, I was convinced that my choosing to stay at Stony Point was not by chance... but was divine intervention. I believe God's hand played a part in it and I am very thankful for that.
Paul is a very kind, intelligent man. He goes out of his way to make sure everyone's stay at the B&B is above average. He truly cares about the folks who stay here, and as I said to Paul during our converstaion, I believe being the innkeeper at Stony Point is his gift from God.

I have never written a review before-- I am writing this one hoping that others will get the chance to stay at Stony Point and have the same wonderful experience that I and my son had. I am planning to visit again, and again, and again..... who knows... this may become a yearly tradition....

Maryann L.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay, along with our grandchildren in the Altoona area. When I called Paul about a room he suggested the third floor and said it is perfect for families. Upon our arrival we were instantly charmed by old stone house. As Paul showed us to our rooms I could see my granddaughters eyes brighten with excitement. The third floor has one average size bedroom and one very large bedroom. Both rooms were very clean and decorated nicely. The bathroom was large and boast a deep Jacuzzi tub. Our favorite part of the rooms was the windows and dormers. The half-curved windows with small glass gave a very warm feeling. The entire house it very well kept and a true treasure to the area. Paul also makes a very good breakfast and is a joyful host. We are already thinking about another trip to the Altoona area and when we do we will be sure to stay at Stony Point.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Breezewood, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My stay at Stony Point B&B couldn't have been better. Paul, the innkeeper, went the extra mile to accomodate my needs, moving furniture for better placement, allowing checkout time to be in the afternoon instead of morning, providing refreshments for my meeting.
The rooms were exceptually clean, and had more amenities than I could take advantage of. Would definitely return to Stony Point!

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stony Point is a lovely restored (not remodeled or renovated) home. While centrally located in the quaint yet busy town of Tyrone, it is at the same time removed from the hustle and bustle, as it sits atop a hill on seven wooded acres. I stayed in the Juniata room, the least expensive one that has a shared bathroom. I toured the entire house (right down to the high-ceilinged unfinished basement with all the plumbing, etc., with a flashlight) and discovered that all the rooms are large and well-appointed. The shared bathroom is much nicer than my remodeled bath at home, and so clean that the fixtures literally sparkle! I am probably OCD when it comes to cleanliness, and the house is maintained to those standards (including the unfinished basement!).

What is unique about this house is its inherent energy. I am sensitive to energy fields and make a living working with them. I became aware of this house's energy immediately upon crossing the threshold. I felt a warm ambiance of care, nurturing and safety envelop me. I could go into a lot more detail, but then you'd probably start to think that I'm crazy. Suffice it to say that I felt right at home from the get-go, and did not experience any of the anxiety one usually feels when sleeping away from home. And that's good stuff.

And let me tell you about Paul, the innkeeper. He has truly found his calling. Upon my arrival, I received the warmest welcome ever, and I do mean ever, and that was just the beginning of his heartfelt hospitality. Breakfasts were outstanding, and none of this continental stuff of muffins and bagels (although, if that's what I had wanted, I have no doubt that that is what I could have had). No. My first breakfast was a mound of bacon and eggs, the eggs perfectly scrambled -- light and fluffy; not heavy and dry -- and the bacon very lean. The next morning, Paul had whipped up a quiche of sundried tomatoes, bacon, ham and cheese. This was accompanied by a huge, freshly baked, bundt-style, thick and chewy olive bread with pumpkin seeds, and just enough cranberries to lend a hint of tartness. The bread was outrageous and Paul packed a big chunk of it to take with me.

My visit to Stony Point was so enjoyable and relaxing, that I would return to the Tyrone/State College area for no other reason than to stay in that house again.

Tyrone, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My husband and I were recently invited to tour Stoney Point Bed and Breakfast. Tthis beautiful natural stone house is nestled on a hillside in a peaceful, somewhat secluded area of Tyrone. Mr. J.K. Johnston, Superindentent of the Tyrone Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, had this home built for his family in the 1920's. PRR engineers were consulted to develope the plans for this Colonial Revival home.

We've lived in the Tyrone Area for 38 years and are familiar with this property and aware of its historical significance. As a B & B it is beautifully decorated and carefully restored. The current innkeeper Paul is providing quests with very clean and comfortable accommodations.

The Tyrone location is ideal for anyone interested in visiting the railroad historic sites in both Blair and Huntingdon counties; namely, the Altoona Railroaders Museum, the Horseshoe Curve and the East Broadtop Steam Railroad. Also Stoney Point B & B is in close proximity to Penn State University, State College, Pa.

After having the tour of this B & B, we know it would be a wonderful experience to stay in this special home.

Nancy A. Smith President, Tyrone Area Historical Society

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Stony Point Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!