“Met Expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Trevose
Pittsburgh, PA
“Met Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn Trevose for the second time in less than a year. The rooms were recently remodeled and are very nice. There were a few room-related issues. One was that the bathroom sink was placed a few inches from the end of the vanity near the bathroom door, so no one could open the bathroom door without knocking over anyone using the sink. Another was that the mattresses, while appearing to be new, very extremely soft. It almost felt like you were sleeping in a waterbed. Finally, the clock on the nightstand did not work.

There were a couple of service issues. When we checked into our room, the thermostat was set at 60 degrees and the room was freezing. In addition, despite the curtains being closed, I could hear noise coming from outside the room. When I opened the curtain, the parking lot level window was wide open. That was disconcerting. We also requested a wake up call which never happened.

The food at the breakfast bar was outstanding and there are free USA Today's and local newspapers in the lobby. The parking is all at one end of the building, so you could have a long haul with your luggage if your room is at the opposite end. The area around the motel is very commercial with several liquor and convenience stores and gas stations. While adequate, there are hotels of just about every brand located in the area, which our relatives told us are nicer.

Room Tip: For easier luggage handling, request a room on the parking lot end of the building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The headboard was shaking.dirty carpet did not have a four star appearance staples in floor that got into my shoes breakfast was lousy food not fresh no cream cheese or peanut butter. Was not able to take whatever i wanted at continental breakfast service bad at breakfast

• Stayed May 2013
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised. Room was clean and looked nice with recently updated carpet. Large flat-screen TV worked great. Hot breakfast buffet was decent. Route 1 was right outside our window, but we were tired enough that the road noise didn't bother us. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Since hotel sits next to route 1, ask for a room on the back side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
new hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel if you have business in Northeast Phila or the surrounding communities. It is right off the turnpike and only takes 20 minutes or less to get to Mayfair depending on traffic. The only negative to this hotel is that the chair seats in the breakfast room badly need replacing and some of the carpet on the second floor needs cleaning but the rooms were spotless and the furnishings sleek and minimal with every amenity being addressed. We have stayed in bigger chain hotels with higher ratings and prices to match which were not as nice as this hidden gem. The bathrooms have extra large vanities with lots of open storage underneath which was so convenient. The staff are extremely friendly.

Room Tip: A little noisy on the street side but quiet rooms in the back.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here multiple times and breakfast is awesome. the staff is friendly and the rooms are very clean my family enjoyed it a lot. The swimming pool is good enough size and plenty of room for parking. It's a perfect location for family getaway.

• Stayed July 2012
Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I along with our 3 year old stayed here from June 26 to the 29th, 2012 to visit Sesame Place and Philadelphia. It was not my first choice, the hotel I wanted raised their rates to $580.00 for 3 nights and the Comfort Inn was $275.00. My husband would not justify spending over $100.00 more per night based on the marginal reviews of the hotel I wanted. If it had gotten great reveiws, I would have made him spend the extra. But I figured let him have this win, and I'll have more money to shop with! Let me mention that I usually stay at Fairmonts, Hiltons or Marriots if possible and if not Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns. I am a travel agent and travel a lot.

I had requested a late check in, and when we found ourselves there early (2pm), I was sure the room would not be ready, but to my surprise it was. We were on the 3rd floor and when we got off the elevator, I could smell smoke. I was very afraid that the room would be smoky, and that would be unacceptable to me. I was ready to tell my husband to turn around and get back in the car, but when I walked into the room, it didn't smell; at all! I was very surprised, and I don't know why it didn't smell of smoke, but I can honestly say that it did not smell smoky at all. There was construction in the hotel lobby and main floor, so perhaps I was smelling the drills or the carpet glue and just thought I smelled smoke. Regardless, the room was fine.
The A/C was a bit noisy, but nothing that would keep me awake at night. I shut it off when I was in the room during the day, as I prefer fresh air and I opened the windows.
What I didn't like was that there were no screens in the windows so I couldn't open them as wide as I wanted with a toddler in the room.

The hotel is on a very busy street (US #1), but for me that is a plus as everything is around it. There is a Dunkin Donuts, a 7/11, 2 gas stations and a liquor store within walking distance. Most restuarants are a short drive away, as is Walmart, shopping mall and Target.

The bed was fine, I slept well. I always bring my own pillow, anywhere I go, even if I am staying at a swanky hotel becasue I am very particular so I can't comment on those.
We had a King bed. The room itself was clean. The curtains were not as clean as I would have prefered. The carpet was new and clean. The sheets and blankets, the desk and TV area was clean. The bathroom was clean, new toilet, new sink (with a large counter), tub/shower unit was a bit older, but no visible mold. As mentioned, they are replacing the carpets and had completed the first floor by the time we left. They were also fixing up the lobby area.
My biggest complaint was that the coffee maker was situated in the bathroom. Gross and weird, since their is a desk area beside the TV where it would easily fit. Also, it took up a lot of the counter space in the bathroom. Needless to say, I did not use it.

The breakfast room requires new carpet and the chairs are very stained. It needed to be cleaned between guests. I only saw one lady restocking the breakfast and doing the cleanup, and she was always busy. I guess it makes more sense to make sure food is out and ready for guests and cleaning the tables etc would have to wait a little. It wasn't for lack of trying, she was working hard. It wasn't a mess, just a little sticky. Nothing horrible and she was wiping tables between guests, it just could have been a little cleaner.
The breakfast was fine. I am allergic to most foods, so I really didn't care, but my little girl was more than satisfied. They had scrambled and hard boiled eggs, sausage, hot (oatmeal) and 3 types of cold cereal (raisin bran, cheerios and fruit loops), yogurt, pastries, bread and muffins and oranges, apples and bananas. There was orange, cranberry juice and coffee (very good coffee, I might add). There was not as much selection as at other bigger hotels and it was repetitive. I wouldn't want to dine on this everyday for a week, but for three days, no big deal. My wish would have been for more fruit, as that was all I could eat out of this menu, but I that's my problem and I was fine with an apple and a coffee, I'm used to it.

I didn't get a chance to use the pool, so I don't know what that was like. The fitness room was adequate. Nothing fancy, older equipment, but all working. It's not Planet Fitness and for less than $100.00 a night, I don't know what people would expect.

I heard no noise from fellow guests during the night.

I was afraid, based on all the negative reviews of the past, but I noticed that lately, the reveiws have been better. I was pleasently surprised! We really enjoyed our stay. What made it even more enjoyable was the service of Neil Pandya at the front desk. As soon as we checked-in and Neil saw my little girl, he immediatley got her 2 bottles of water and some packaged cookies. Needless to say, she was very happy and with the weather being over 100 degrees the next day, we were very happy with the extra bottles of water (there were already 2 bottles and some cookies in the room) to take to Sesame Place. When we checked-out, he gave my daughter a little bag of chips which just made her day and gave her a reason to behave in the long car ride home.
Neil was excellent. He always came up to us and asked how we were enjoying out stay. We were unfamiliar with the area and needed directions several times. I lost my camera battery pack and when I asked Neil were to go to get one, he brought me an HHGregg flyer with the camera specials and gave us directions on how to get there, we would not have known where to go and we ended up buying anew camera instead of buying the battery pack. He also kindly thought of my daughter, and printed out directions to the Crayola Factory becasue he thought she would like it, I hadn't even asked! He knows the area well and his directions to the grocery store and some local restaurants were perfect. I cannot say enough about this young man! If he lived here in Canada, I would ask him to come and work for me!
Perhaps this hotel was not great before, and it is not a fancy place but I'm telling you honestly, it was clean and comfortable (cheap and cheerful). I enjoyed my stay. You can't beat the price and with someone like Neil at the front desk, who cares about his customers, I would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the back side of the hotel (facing the garbage skip), on floor 3, but it was quiet, so...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

This is located on the main highway, and the air con was noisy, and so I turned it off. The reason it was noisy was to drown out the sound of the trucks rolling by outside the windows. Maybe if you get a room on the back side of the hotel it may be okay. I would not choose to go here again.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Comfort Inn Trevose? Share your experiences!