“Good location, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Camelback Road, Tannersville, PA 18372   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
Annville, Pennsylvania
“Good location, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Chateau for a couples stay. I am a very optimistic person; therefore, I decided not to let the past reviews interfere with my stay. However, I can say that there are some points that people wrote that are very true and some things that are not.

The location is great. One can see Camelbeach from the resort (less than half a mile away) and that was one of the places we wanted to go to for the day. The hotel is also about 3 miles from interstate 80 and there are great eats along the way up to the hotel.

This hotel is a bit tired. I feel, like along with a lot of the other resorts and building in the Poconos, it's still stuck in the 80s. The entrance is a bit odd and I feel like I would expect it to be a bit more grandeur and opulent; however, the lobby is pretty nice and welcoming. The staff was very nice upon check-in and were very welcoming.

We were on the 3rd floor and the hallways kind of look like a prison. Very outdated and the lighting is dim, it kinda creeped me out. Our room was very nice and very large. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pond and mountain - it was absolutely gorgeous. We thought our room was clean, and that was something we were both worried about from reading other reviews. Again, the room also looked tired. The curtain was tattered and beat up, it didn't aestically look nice - it looked cheap and unwelcoming. The bathroom was a decent size, but yet again the fixtures were very 1980s style. We had a king size bed and it felt like it was an old school spring mattress - lumpy at some parts and not something I would want to sleep on every night. The walls are paper thin. The last two nights of our stay we had the most obnoxious family in the room aside of us. We made the mistake of not asking for a non-connecting room, and these children were running around their room screaming, jumping on their beds, and trying to open the connecting door to our room. I have no complaints against children, but the fact that their parents did nothing about it, also added to it by talking extremely loudly to the point where we could chime in on their conversation if we wanted to, and the crazy nonsense continuing past midnight was absolute ridiculous. We did call the Front Desk and the attendant I spoke to was very nice and sympathetic; however, she can only do so much. Please, if you are a couple looking to spend some relaxing time together, request to be away from families because you will be able to hear them through the walls.

Our stay included free breakfast for us 2 mornings out of our 3 mornings and I am glad it was free. And probably because the waitresses knew it was free, I feel like we were neglected. The buffet was not worth the $12.99 per person, and we chose not to eat there for our third morning. Our first morning our waitress came to us only once and did not refill our drinks. The second morning was a bit better, that waitress was a bit more attentive. But the buffet was the same as the day before, so no variation there

Overall I think it was a nice property, but I don't think that I would be staying there again. The thing that really ruined it was the obnoxious family aside of us. I feel horrible for saying that, but it is true. Nothing overly wowed me want to stay there again. It was an average stay and a place to sleep and relax when we could.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Fastueuxcaprice-

I am sorry you were so inconvenienced by the room next to you. I will review with Guest Services the issues and better ways of addressing them.

I also want to thank you for your comments. I love our location and easy access from the highway, although it feels like forever away from the resort.

We will also use the constructive comments for our overall improvement.

-John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Tower City, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at this hotel June 28th until July 1st. It was just an okay stay. When we arrived at the hotel, the front entrance is not clearly marked. When we checked in, the Front Desk agent was nice. The hotel and the room does need updating but the room was clean and it got cleaned throughout the stay. Service at breakfast the first day was not that great. 2nd day it was better but could have been a lot better. The buffet does need more variety. We did enjoy Camelbeach which is just a mile from the hotel and Bushkill Falls as well as getting a massage at a near by resort. As far as the hotel goes, the last two nights we were there a loud family was in the connecting room next to us and it was hard to sleep. We let Front Desk know and it worked but they got loud again like 2 hours later. Front Desk could of done more for us for this situation. When we checked out the Front Desk never asked me how my stay was.

When we get back to area, we will probably stay elsewhere.

Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I read the reviews after booking the Chateu Resort for 2 nights, June 25/26th. I was skeptical.
However my experience was: yes upon arriving it was hard to locate the entrance. The check in was quick and the clerk most informative about the area. Our room was on the first floor looking
Across to the pond. The room had 2 beds, nice linens, fluffy pillows, flat screen tv. The room was quite clean and yes it was a bit stuffy, until I put the air conditioner on. We did bring in our own bags on the luggage rack. No big deal! Went to the outdoor pool. It was delightful. A decent size pool with a waterfall. Outdoor tables with umbrellas in an area for eating out. A waitress came out
And took a lunch order. We shared the grilled chicken with balsamic dressing. It was delish. We used the exercise room, which was working fine. The inside pool is right in next room and it looked clean, contrary to the reviews I read. We ate breakfast in the dining room and it was a typical buffet. Although I must say, the bacon and sausage was a better quality than other places I've been. They had scrambled eggs on the buffet, but the waitress so pleasantly ordered my fried egg.
Yes the place is not brand new. If you want new and upgraded, then you look for that and pay more. But overall, it's a great location, by Camelback Mtn, the outlets and Penns Peak.
I would go back again.
Oh and yes, when we checked out there were no luggage racks available at the moment. So by the time we had breakfast, there were 3 of them returned for use. Some people are just too picky.

Room Tip: You can always ask to see the room before moving your luggage in.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is not the place for us. Sorry just not the place. They gave us two full size beds we booked a king. We have a dog and they gave us a room at the farthest end of the hall. Very long walk. Entrance is very hard to find narrow and no one to help you with luggage.

Room Tip: We were supposed to have a king bed they gave us two full beds. We are the very last room down an...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Teri G-

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. It seems we had a communication issue with your reservation that you booked.

Our pet friendly rooms are at the far end of the building and they are all double beds. They are designated there as there is easy access to the side entrance and our pet station. We felt it would be better to accommodate walking your pet during all hours of the day.

As you are aware, people have severe allergies to pets and as a result, we do not have pet friendly accommodations placed throughout the resort.

I trust you understand our reasoning and wish we had done a better job of communicating. My apologies.

-John
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I would like to start off by saying yes this property is very out dated but has good qualities. The night manager Ed was very helpful, entertaining and delightful. He made us laugh very much he has a very good sense of humor and knows how to play a crowd. When we got to the room yes the room could of been cleaned a lot better, however when we called the desk Ed came to our room with in minutes. He asked what we needed and jumped to it. He apologized for the ‎inconvenience and offered us breakfast on him. He made us feel like we were important and he would do everything he could to make our stay as memorable as possible. Other staff were friendly and cheerful. The food was very good and the dinning setting was very enjoyable. Our entire stay we felt relaxed and comfortable. Ed alone would make us return to the Chateau there didn't seem to be a thing he couldn't handle, housekeeping, front desk, entertainment, customer service, maintenance. More places should have employees like him dedicated and a team player he's like a utility player put him anywhere and he will shine. We will most certainly be back and will be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

Enjoyable Stay

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Mountain with a balcony are very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had a couple days off during the week and we bought a deal through the Priceline. We requested three star hotel and got this one. What to say? It's not a three star at all even 2 is too much for this place. It definitely needs total renovation . It was dirty and smelly. You have to be brave to swim in their pools and not catch anything. The only positive thing about this hotel was the view, if you get the room overlooking the mountain that is and not the parking lot.

West Hempstead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our neighborhood soccer club has been coming to Pennsylvania for soccer tournaments for the last five years and with the exception of a Hampton Inn, this is the best hotel we've stayed at so far. Yes, it needs a little updating. Yes, the hallways had garbage and room service trays out all day. Yes, the buffet was overpriced and the food mediocre. But the pools and the outdoor decks were nice and scenic, the rooms were clean and the help was accommodating. There were movies for our kids and spaces to hang out and chat (important when travelling with multiple families). The bar was spacious and reasonable with live entertainment.

Many of the families took the suites on the 4th floor and loved the circular stair and the extra space. We had two full beds that were comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were clean, the shower was fine. The closet doorknob was a little sticky, but a quick swipe with a washcloth solved that.

I hope our club chooses the Chateau next year for their stay.

Room Tip: if you have more than 5 persons, ask for a 4th floor suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!