“Second verse, good as the first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Purcell Darrell House B&B

Purcell Darrell House B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swarthmore
Purcell Darrell House B&B
You added Purcell Darrell House B&B to your Saves list
315 North Chester Rd, Swarthmore, PA 19081   |
Offers & Announcements
World Meeting of Families
Ranked #1 of 1 Swarthmore B&B and Inns
London
“Second verse, good as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Last year I spent two evenings here, this year three -- work in Philadelphia, leisure at some of the many gardens in the area. I enjoyed myself thoroughly on both occasions.

Arrival from London -- only at 2200. But Rich and Cathy were there to offer a smiling welcome AND fresh-baked, still-warm cookies.

When I made the reservations I had expected to be accompanied, but an accident prevented my intended companion from travelling. No problem; no extra charge; the fold-out bed in my room was tidied away before the next evening, and all was well.

Not only that -- I had mis-remembered the dates of my journey and was on my way to the airport when an e-mail arrived from Rich, whom I'd put in copy of an e-mail detailling the evening's plans. "But," he said gently, "our records show you arriving tomorrow! Have we got it wrong?" Before I could send an e-mail of embarrassment and apology he had begun the weary slog of ringing the hotels and inns in the area to find me / us alternative lodging. And only the gentlest of ribbings the next evening, when I finally DID arrive, as I had been meant to do all along.

Grand breakfasts, enormous fluffy towels, lashings of hot water at high pressure in the shower, excellent WiFi, and all in a beautiful setting, the Christmas roses carpeting the ground beneath the redbuds, the lilies-of-the-valley shouldering each other aside to be the first to bloom... wonderful.

Once again a brilliant experience, coddled and indulged and made to feel very much at home. No reason to seek to stay elsewhere in Swarthmore.

(When specifying your breakfast the night before, ask for the "Cresson" eggs; Cathy keeps them back as treats.)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chris D, Owner at Purcell Darrell House B&B, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your reviews - we certainly strive to make all our guests comfortable and welcome, but having a repeat guest take the time to write about their experience is terrific.

Hope we see you again down the road.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was the last arm of a 6 state road trip visiting liberal arts college's and Universities on the East coast.Also our first time in a B+B.
The house is located right across the main college entrance.Short walking distance to the admission office.Everything was above our expectations.Warm and welcome owners.Clean comfortable rooms and facilities.WiFi.Custom made breakfast.Kids loved it.
I would recommend this to anyone visiting the area or the college.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
First time B&B visitors - and we host a great many - are often not sure what to expect. Every B&B has its own personality. This is our home in a small college town and so we focus on comfort and convenience. Above all else, we want our guests to feel like they're visiting friends; many have truly become friends.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

That's us -- late arrivals; a credit card that didn't work even after borrowing Cathy's mobile to make an international call... and everything was smoothed away.

Comfortable rooms, generous hot water for the morning shower, delicious breakfast, convenient setting, amiable hosts. Were I a parent of a Swarthmore student I should not consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

A delightful B&B. Cathy was lovely, the warm cookies were great, and the location can't be beat if you're visiting Swarthmore College - it's easy walking distance. Great breakfast, and you even get to choose from a menu!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed one night because of the high ratings and the fact that this B&B is at most ten minutes walking from the local train station, right next to Swarthmore College. You can tell that the hosts are thoughtful owners, because they've included everything you could possibly need for your stay. Besides warm cookies as an evening snack, filtered water with glasses waiting on the bureau, and fluffy terry bathrobes in the closet, we were very happy with the comfortable bed and amazingly smooth and soft flannel sheets. The breakfast was outstanding; Cathy provided numerous choices, and I had sautéed onions and peppers with my scrambled eggs, ginger muffins, fresh fruit (strawberries & blueberries), and good coffee. She offered us tea in the evening when we were relaxing downstairs, looking through books about Swarthmore and flipping through the t.v. channels. Luckily for us, they had some spare disposable razors in the bathroom, because I'd forgotten mine. The sheets, towels, pillows, etc. were spotless and fresh smelling which is always good when you're staying in someone's home.

Another family occupied the rooms next to ours, and thankfully they were quiet/peaceful, so it was very pleasant to share the space with them (we had a shared bathroom.)

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road will have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I chose this B&B as it was close to the location of a friend. And what a superb choice it turned out to be. The innkeeper, Cathy, was very warm and welcoming as was the house. The room was comfortable and warm; the bed and futon, which was used by my friend, were very comfortable. I enjoyed the jacuzzi bath and the bathroom facilities, although shared, were clean, modern and had the fluffiest towels!

The surrounding area is beautiful, with the small town and a mall within walking distance. And the local rail station s also within walking distance so getting into Philadelphia is very easy and economical. It is also a very peaceful area.

And when we had friends visiting from NYC, Cathy had fresh, home cooked muffins and coffee on hand!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I had a lovely 4 day stay at this B&B and I found the house very pleasant and relaxing. Chris and Cathy are very hospitable and the lovely extras like bathrobes and warm cookies make you feel right at home. The breakfast is made to order from a menu but I just stuck with the usual cereal and toast. The shared bathroom is super modern with a jacuzzi tub and good hot water pressure. The bedroom was comfortable and the sheets were awesome, the only drawback for me was not having a desk to do some business related technical drawings, I'm sure I could have used the dining table downstairs but I prefer to work alone in my room. The wireless Internet worked great and they also provide a PC with printer which was really useful too. The location of the B&B to campus and downtown is fantastic, it's basically a 10 min walk to the McCabe Library and to the restaurants/Cafes downtown. Surprisingly considering the humidity and temperatures outside were horrible the house was always cool so it was pleasant to come back to in the evenings, I never felt overheated or cold and the air was never stale either. I can't wait to come back to this place next year.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Purcell Darrell House B&B? Share your experiences!