“Great cake, missing color” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 99 Restaurants in Stroudsburg
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Great cake, missing color”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

Quite honestly don't know how to review this. The cake was a great tasting cake, it was beautiful and as designed by our daughter for her Sweet 16 EXCEPT it was missing the pink color. We ordered a white, silver, and pink cake and clearly written down on our copy of the order.

Daughter was really upset about her cake not having pink in it as designed.

The cake was beautiful, delicious, and quality. But not exactly as ordered getting an upset daughter on her Sweet 16 made it a big customer satisfaction issue.

Quite frankly I was going to let this go and not review it. However, since virtually every negative review was about not getting exactly what was ordered, I felt to add my contribution.

You need to be explicit and emphatic here on what you want (make sure you have them repeat the order back to you). Check in a few days before and make sure the instructions are correct for your order and design.

The cake was great but the problem is not delivering the design as ordered (which in this business is half the battle and leads to customer satisfaction issues as per all the bad reviews). Had they delivered the cake with the pink in it, I would have rated this a Five.

But meh, I'll split the difference and give it a three. Great product but fails at following instructions.

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“She ruined my daughters shower cake!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

I asked the owner Mary if she could make a cake for my daughters shower . I spent sometime with her because I thought $140 for a cake not, even a quarter sheet was a bit much. She printed a picture and assured me she can make the cake. We even talked about the colors cause it matched my decoration colors. On the day of the shower I was an hour late picking up the cake . I tried calling several times no answer. I finally got to her shop and was very stressed already trying to finish last details . The base of cake was already boxed & closed . I didn't even look at it. I did however see the top piece cause that box was open. I noticed the color was off but thought no big deal ,nothing I can do now. I only had 2 hours till party.When I got to the venue & took base out of box ,I was beside myself. The color was dark & dreary. Not to mention had sparkles that I did not ask for. Ok so nothing I can do people arriving. After cutting & eating the cake the top portion was delicious . The base however not only left my guest mouths blue , there was barley any filling in it. So 2 days later I E-mailed Mary & expressed how good the top piece was but also informed her of my dis-pleasure with her base piece (color & filling)I asked to be compensated never asking for full refund & her response was appalling see response below:

I am soory but at this point I feel that this is a pre-planned habit that you and your daughter use to get money from businesses. You recieved what you paid for, you left here without a complaint. I will not compensate you for a job well done. Please do not order from me again and black mailing me with social media will not work. Have a nice day.
Really? This women is rude &
crazy. I would not use this lady again if she was the last baker in the world!! BTW this was her 2nd & last chance!

• Visited October 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best pastry/cake maker in town!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2014

Merry's has been making my cakes perfectly every time for 12 years now and the cakes are always as specified fresh and delicious!
If your looking for a great Baker Merry's is the place to go!

New York City, New York
“STAY AWAY! Save yourself and your event! Ruined my daughters first birthday cake and many others events!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Don't go to this woman! Sent her pictures and got the exact opposite of what I asked for! She did the complete opposite of what I asked for when I sent her pics. Her excuse was she was confused when I called the day before to confirm everything and she yesed me to death. And the cake was lopsided and falling apart. I called to just tell her and she went crazy on me. And said "I was crazy for ordering a cake like this for my daughter" anyway. Oh and even though I sent pics she goes off of her "artistic expression"!!!! Sticking with kitchen chemistry from now on. Hers taste so much better and she is much more professional! BEWARE!

She had since put on yelp that I communicated too much. Check better business bureau and yelps filter reviews. SO MANY COMPLAINTS!

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Really disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you read Rebecca A.'s review, it is almost IDENTICAL to my experience, except a.) my original experience in March was AMAZING and b.) the shower I was having was for my friend. Everything else is the same. I have tried to pursue her through BBB (where she has many complaints) and the PA Attorney General (who has a file on her) but she of course denies all wrong doing. Note on the photo below: we DID cut down the ears on the monkey as they were literally the size of its head, but made NO other alterations.

Note the color, the missing leaves, the weird rolls between layers instead of "pearls", etc

AVOID AVOID AVOID.