“Mixed feelings...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stroudsmoor Country Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stroudsburg
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
You added Stroudsmoor Country Inn to your Saves list
RD #4 Stroudsmoor Road, P.O. Box 153, Stroudsburg, PA 18360   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Brooklyn, New York
“Mixed feelings...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a weekend at this hotel and I decided to write about my experience...
First check in was very easy, but trying to find where to check in was difficult. There are no signs pointing you in what direction you should go for check in.
We were three families and each family had booked different rooms. We were disappointed in our room, it was very tiny. It had one queen bed, a single chair not even a sofa and a dresser. Also a stand with the TV set on it, very very average room and oh a tiny bathroom. It was scary to walk around at night because it's a wooded area and our room had no light for the porch. But the other family booked a suite which was nice, it was like an apartment.
We were told a "continental breakfast" was part of our stay which was nice. Well come to find out the next morning the "continental breakfast" was only bagels, toast, muffins, cereal, and oatmeal. Really not the breakfast I looked forward to.
Overall I would probably come back again, wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't mind it.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

The Stroudsmoor was a lovely venue for my son and daughter-in-law's wedding. Both the rehearsal dinner and reception were at the Country Inn. Each site was lovely and appropriate for the planned event. Our guests had a wonderful experience even with the unexpected five inches of snow that fell on the wedding day.

The exceptional staff is what made our weekend! In particular, the staff who waited on us at the meals throughout the weekend were friendly, attentive and efficient. Special thanks to Ryan and Gail. In addition the makeup artists and hairstylists were lovely young women who worked without complaint as the snow fell and they faced dangerous road conditions when they left work that day. The woman who took care of our room was helpful, upbeat and friendly. The management of the Stroudsmoor should appreciate such an excellent staff.

We found that the rooms varied widely. The Highland Cottages could use a facelift while the Ledgemoor Rooms were beautiful. I heard from friends that the main inn rooms also varied in size and comfort. I would also caution that if planning to reserve many rooms in a block the bride/groom need to have a very clear understanding of what will be available. Our group had a few glitches with this and one friend was told rudely that there was no room.

In all, our experience was very good. For our families The Stroudmoor Country Inn was the correct choice.

Stayed December 2012
Naugatuck, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for our 20th anniversary, having stayed there several times in the past and enjoyed it. We stayed in a Ledgemere Suite, wonderful room, clean, very large rooms. Only problems were minor for the 2 nights we were there - no sugar/creamer for the coffee and a burned-out lightbulb in the living area. For the mid-week off-season price, it was wonderful. Full breakfast was included, and that was great as well.

We knew ahead of time that the room rate would jump from $150/night mid-week to $280/night on Friday, and I had discussed with the booking agent when making the reservation that we would probably switch to a less expensive cottage/cabin on Friday night. We only saw 2 other couples at the resort on the 2 nights/days we were there and were actually told that the room we were in was not booked for Friday night. It was pouring rain on Friday morning, and after breakfast we stopped to see what we could do about booking a room for that night at the front desk. Carol flat out told us that the Ledgemere would be $280 for that night. I told her I was well aware of that. She said that that room was not booked and was available. I stated we were not paying that for the room when the resort was deserted, but would look at something less expensive. She must have said it 3 or 4 times about the rate going up, how that was policy, blah, blah, blah - okay, we understood that already! She asked if we wanted to see the other room, which we did, so in the pouring rain we met the housekeeping person who showed us the room. It was a really nice room for the price and we were going to switch. Unfortunately, when we went back to the front desk, we said we weren't 100% sure about what to do, that it was really going to be a pain in the neck to be moving and packing/unpacking the care. So, Carol announces that she would give us the Ledgemere for the same price, but it was not company policy and she would not be able to do that again for us, etc., etc., etc., to the point where the elderly couple sitting by the fire in the lobby was now listening in. She was talking to us like we were children being scolded! I told her that I was older than her and did not appreciate the way she was talking to us, and that we were going back to the room to decide if we even wanted to stay there at all. It was the principle - if you know you are going to drop the price down, why make your customers walk around in the pouring rain to see another room???? We went back to the room, I made some phone calls and we decided to stay somewhere else for that 1 night. We went back to the desk, where they seemed surprised that we were checking out!!!

Everything worked out, we enjoyed our 1 night at the Shawnee Inn (very old-timish), and we will probably stay at The Stroudsmoor again at some point. It was just the principle that if they knew they would adjust, they should have just said so instead of sending us out looking at other rooms and wasting time. We ended up paying the same price ($149) some place else. It was just a big inconvenience. I don't understand why Carol was hagling about the price, coming down $25, then coming all the way down to the mid-week rate. If you are going to do that, just do it instead of nickel and diming. I totally understand that rates go up on the weekends, but considering there was no one there, the weather was lousy and you had repeat customers celebrating a special occasion, I think it could have been handled a lot better.

Room Tip: Mid-week, off-season pricing is a great deal!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stroudsmoor was fantastic! I recently brought my girlfriend (now fiance) here to propose, and the staff couldn't have made it a better experience. The scenery was perfect, literally on top of a mountain. We stayed in one of the suites which was great considering we had our own private deck, fireplace, and hot tub. The event staff was overly accomodating with the set up. I had spoken to them in advance, so while we were at dinner they went in to my room to put out a ton of flowers, candles, and balloons. They really did a fantastic job, my fiance couldn't have been more surprised when we came back from dinner! All the staff was so nice the next morning, we got so many congratulations. It made the experience that much better knowing that everyone had a part in it, and I know it made my fiance feel extra special.

Thanks again Stroudsmoor!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Smelled strongly like a nursing home at reception. No elevator. Heat blasting in the tiny, cramped room with no thermostat to turn it off. Opened the windows, which face the kitchen vents so enjoy the food smell pouring in, and the room door, have fun looking at everyone pass the room, to get some air in. The best part- spending $250 for a terrible, noisy room.

• Stayed November 2012
King of Prus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I got a one hour massage at the spa at the Stroudsmoor with Maggie. It was amazing! Best massage I ever had. The spa is gorgeous, clean, and the staff are top notch (especially the manager). Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belmar NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great place to just relax. They have an indoor pool and simple B & B style accommodations in the main building; however, I prefer the cabins. Dinner was excellent and breakfast exceeded expectations. The staff helpful and kind.

Room Tip: Pocono area, near some antique shops
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stroudsmoor Country Inn? Share your experiences!