“Solid hotel, Clean and Modern” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Great Neck, NY
“Solid hotel, Clean and Modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This seems to be the only decent hotel in the area. It was very clean and has been kept up nicely. Looks like it was recently built. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was fairly large and beds super comfortable. No complaints from our family during our one night visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Katie M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Thank you for posting via Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear your family had a wonderful night sleep and enjoyed the friendly staff. Hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I walked in the week before my reservation to book a room. All hotels in the area were booked solid and I needed a room for the following weekend for a sporting event. Dawn and another associate informed me the hotel was booked for the weekend, but as they asked my needs, were able to accommodate my family of 4 with a nice room and reasonable price.
When we arrived the following weekend, check-in was lightening fast! (despite the many guests). Dawn gave us great locally owned restaurant recommendations.

We thought the hotel's breakfast offerings were tasty and plentiful too!

Thanks for your hospitality Holiday Inn Express and Dawn!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments via Trip Adivsor. I am pleased to hear that we provided you and your family a "Great start to your vacation" The team really enjoys reading our guests feeback and to hear how helpful they are. Hope you and your family had a great vacation! We look forward to seeing you again soon,
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed here for a Dance Competition for my daughter. Roomed with another Dance Mom and her daughter. The room was very clean and had plenty of room for the 4 of us and all of the girls many costumes and makeup. Never had an issue with Maid Service and we left them a nice tip since we really did leave a tornado behind some mornings in our rush to get to the competition on time. The room was always pristine when we returned. There are plenty of outlets through out the room for charging and hair styling. Refrigerator and Microwave really came in handy. The beds were very comfy; although a little high off the ground for us vertically challenged folk..LOL. I imagine if you have elderly in your party, they might have an issue. I was very happy to see a mix of pillows on the bed labeled Firm and Soft. And no annoying comforters that no one likes to use. Just plenty of sheets & cozy blankets.

A couple of negatives: The hot tub was not working (there were signs everywhere apologizing for it not working0. The girls really could have used that after a long day of dancing. The hallways A/C units were either broken or just not turned on; so the halls were stifling and humid. There was some noise from the rooms above us; I think there was some practicing going on. thankfully it ended by 10:30 and we did not need to to complain.

The free breakfast was good and pretty well stocked with the exception of the first morning of the Competition. The breakfast room was flooded with parents and kids and I don't think the hotel properly prepared for the rush (the competition should have warned them!). They only had 1 employee working the room and food was not being refilled very quickly. I must say that the employee, Anthony, handled himself very well and did the best he could until more help arrived for him. The rest of the mornings there were no issues as more than one person was there to make things run smoothly. A special thanks to Anthony who was always smiling and friendly!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide you with a clean and friendly place to stay while you are away from home, and I am so happy that we provided that to you. I'll be sure to share you comments with the entire team, and we look forward to seeing you in a future stay if you are ever in the Poconos again
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Well stay is getting worse. Complained about the rude people above us, still waiting on getting that fixed. Children running around all night above. Complained to front desk told they could try to move us. Mentioned saying something to the rude people her respond we could. Are you kidding that should be done as well. Breakfast was a joke seven am still getting stuff together. Ask for ketchup , told we are out. One person doing the breakfast because over hearing employee telling guest management refuses to hire on help with it. Holiday Inn brand is slipping here.so tire getting screwed over by places that don't care anymore sad We really use to enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Hereitis,

Regards,

Karen C
River Vale, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I checked in on Thursday 7/10 for a 2 night stay to attend a wedding. The wedding was on Friday evening. My wife and I left our room (205) on Friday morning to do some outlet shopping. We returned approximately 2:30 PM and the room was not serviced, even though there were 2 maid carts in the hallway when we left. We put the do not disturb sign out for 1 hour while we got ready for the wedding. When we returned at 11:30 PM the room was still untouched. Saturday morning while checking out, I told the front desk representative about our situation. She curtly answered that we "must have had the do not disturb sign out all day"!! I told her that we only put the sign out at 3 PM and she said the maid staff leaves at 2!!! Exactly!! Then she said I must have been mistaken. She had a real crappy attitude! I was told by my daughter (who stayed on the 4th floor) that the same thing happened to her. I give them a "poor" rating for that service. Other than sleeping there, I didn't require anything from them other than a clean room.

Room Tip: Don't expect maid service!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide you with a clean and friendly place to stay while we are away from home, and I am so sorry that we fell short in delievering that to you. If there is anything else that I can do please feel free to contact me directly 570-872-9040. Thank You for the review
Westwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of wedding party. If management is reading this, I was room 413 who checked in on Thursday 7/10 and departed Saturday 7/12. The hotel itself was very nice and clean. The king bed room was spacious, clean,and comfortable. On the morning of the wedding I picked up some food downstairs before heading off the the venue, which was perfect for a quick meal. They have a nice little selection of food for breakfast such as scrambled eggs, pre made omelets, pancakes, bagels, etc.- all free.

My issue was that after a full exhausting day of being in a wedding, I returned to my hotel room at midnight to find out that my room was never visited by the maids. I have never had this happen to me anywhere and was puzzled. I had to go downstairs and get more towels so that my boyfriend and I could take showers before going to bed. I informed the front desk that room 413 did not get serviced. The woman Friday night was very nice and made note of it (hopefully management gets back to me). I paid a decent amount of money to stay 2 nights and was annoyed that I had to take my own trash out of the garbage, get my own towels, and make my own bed. I mean, what am I paying all this money for? My parents were staying in a room the floor below me, they too did not get maid service that day. Upon checkout on Saturday my father and I nicely explained to the person at the desk about the mistake. My dad was not rude by any means, he only wanted to give her an FYI to pass on to management. She was not too friendly and immediately had an attitude. No one was blaming her so who knows why she was snippy... She claimed that the maids said we both had privacy signs on our doors. We absolutely did not have those signs on the door and we didn't appreciate the claim. On Friday I left the hotel at 9:30AM to meet up with the rest of the bridal party at a nearby venue. My boyfriend, who was not in the wedding party, stayed back and left his room around 4PM to head to the venue as a guest. Never once did he hear a knock on the door nor did he leave the privacy sign on it. He even texted me around 1PM telling me that he thought it was strange that the maids did not come yet. I am assuming the maid realized they did not clean our room and wanted to cover themselves by claiming we had a sign on our door. This is what bothered me most, it was a lie! Don't make me look bad due to your mistake. We were never offered to speak to a manager, although we had no time to do so anyway because we had to meet for a post-wedding brunch. I don't think my credit card should have been charged the full amount for the lack of service that we received. Things happen and I understand it. But make it right and don't accuse the guest. I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear StormieIV,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Newark, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

On May 23, 2014, I went online to book a weekend stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Stroudsburg, PA over the Fourth of July weekend. I booked a single room with two beds for three nights. I thought everything was OK until the next morning when I found out that we would not be able to stay three nights and we would need two rooms. I went back online to change the reservation. None of the links would work when I tried to change the dates and number of rooms, so I found the number to call for Reservations.
A gentleman named Kenneth answered my call. I told him the changes that I wanted to make and was told there would be no problem except that I couldn’t decrease the number of nights stayed. This was supposedly because I had “Advance Booked” the rooms. I was told that I had received some large discount by advance booking so I was not entitled to decrease the reservation. Never mind that I was calling to increase the number of rooms and the total invoice; I was not allowed to change the number of nights even though it was less than 12 hours since my original booking and it was a month and a half until the reservation.
After getting off the phone with Kenneth, I checked my e-mail and found a new confirmation had been sent. Kenneth had decreased the number of adults for the stay, had left the number of rooms at one and of course had left the number of nights at three. In other words, he had done nothing that I asked. At this point, I thought I’d better speak with the staff in Stroudsburg. I dialed the front desk around 8:00 on Saturday morning and a young woman named Megan answered. I informed her of the problem I was having and with a very theatrical and audible sigh, she informed me that they were very busy at the front desk and she’d have to call me back. Predictably, she did not.
I let the rest of the holiday weekend go by so I could call and talk to the GM on Tuesday. When I called, Megan again answered the phone. I asked for the GM and was told she would not be available for the day. I described my problem to Megan and she- as she has clearly been programmed to do- recited policy to me and said the reservation could not be decreased by one night. I asked who could do such a thing and she told me Gail Sweda, the GM, was the only person who could do that. I requested that Gail call me and Megan assured me she’d pass the message along.
I waited until the afternoon of Wednesday for Gail to call. When I hadn’t heard from her, I called back myself. Finally, I was sure I had reached someone who could deal with this small and inconsequential triviality. To my astonishment, Gail informed me that she could not change my reservation. At this point, my credit card was showing three separate charges for over $800 each. Apparently, every time someone accesses the system, it just creates a new reservation- even if it’s wrong- and never deletes the old one or the charges for the old one. Gail said she was limited “by the system and the owners” to canceling one reservation per customer per year. It didn’t seem to matter that I never made or wanted to make more than one reservation. Apparently, Holiday Inn employees making multiple reservations for me without canceling the old ones was my problem now. I told Gail how very surprised I was that a massive corporation like Holiday Inn couldn’t handle a problem so seemingly simple to fix, especially when someone in the position of General Manager had the problem in hand. She weakly apologized and said in effect that her hands were tied. I asked Gail who I’d need to speak to in order to get my problem addressed and she connected me to Reservations and Guest Relations.
My next contact was a nice lady named Rosa who was apparently wearing a headset that was made in North Korea. As I struggled to understand her garbled and muffled voice, Rosa proceeded to tell me that she would take care of all of my problems. Aside from the communications difficulty, I was finally starting to think that I was getting somewhere. When I was finished with Rosa, I felt sure I had finally resolved the problem. Upon hanging up the phone, I noticed that I had four new e-mails from Holiday Inn, adding up to a total of ten all told. The e-mails gave me a new confirmation number but were for one room and had Extra Person charges on them even though there would be no more than two people per room. At least they had corrected the dates, I thought. The rest should be easy to fix. I decided I had spent enough time on this for one week and gave it a rest for the weekend.
When I felt I had allowed a reasonable amount of time to pass, I looked up the contact number for Guest Relations and called back, requesting a supervisor or manager with the authority to make changes to reservations. By this time, our Visa Account Detail was a wreck, with charges for $894.89, $833.85, $833.85 again and now, to my astonishment, $1696.04. Somehow, someone had managed to credit back the $894.89 charge and one of the $833.85 ones but the total charges to the account still totaled $2529.89 for two rooms, two nights. I was, and still am, in disbelief that a company that does this for a living seemed to have no idea how to straighten out this problem. Finally, a nice lady named Beth came on the phone to help me.
Rather than tell Beth the whole story from scratch- a major time-consumer by this time- I simply told her that I couldn’t seem to get the reservation done properly by anyone there and I asked her to let me tell her what I wanted and what was currently wrong. I asked for two King Suites for two nights- July 4 and 5- and I told her that there would be four adults total so no Extra Person charges were justified. Beth assured me that the Extra Person charges would be scratched, that the dates would be corrected and that she would refer the matter over to Guest Relations to get my credit card straightened out. She gave me a Case Number and an 800 number and told me that I should get a return call within 48 hours. I felt relieved that someone appeared to be taking the bull by the horns and getting things done.
When I reviewed the e-mail confirmation, I saw that Beth still had the dates wrong. Since we were still on the phone, I told her. She made the change and sent the confirmation again. I checked the dates and they were corrected. I thanked Beth profusely for her help and we hung up. Only after that did I realize that the newest confirmation was for one room only. I was in utter disbelief that this STILL wasn’t corrected after a week and a half, hours on the phone, thirteen e-mails and six entries on my Visa statement.
At this point, my wife was getting tired of hearing me complain about the incompetence and indifference of every person I’d encountered with IHG and the Holiday Inn-Stroudsburg. So, she took the job over. Knowing her, I felt sorry for the poor hapless people who were about to be read the riot act. They were going to be made to pay for ruining our long, holiday weekend a full month before it even happened.
A day or two later, when I learned that Holiday Inn/IHG had carpet-bombed her with even more flabbergasting and remarkably consistent incompetence, I was shocked to learn that she had given up completely trying to get the third, unwanted night removed from the reservation. At this point, she was focused on simply getting the remaining reservation right and getting the multiple credit card charges removed. Eventually, she did manage to achieve these two goals but by the time it was over, I was convinced that this organization actually uses incompetence- whether it’s real or feigned- to beat their trapped customers into submission.
I assumed from the reviews on TripAdvisor that at least the hotel was going to be very nice, even if we were being overcharged. Well, you know what they say about assuming. The hotel, to be charitable, was overwhelmingly underwhelming.
In my 54 years, I have sadly watched as the concept of customer service has been degraded and diminished slowly but surely in this country. Each year, as the public school system dumps its defective product into the polluted stream of the labor market, the chances of receiving good service from a company get smaller and smaller to the point that one barely holds out hope of being properly served anywhere. Obviously, I have low expectations. That said, my experience with the Holiday Inn- Stroudsburg/Poconos and its parent corporation, IHG, stands alone in a sorry and embarrassing league of its own. How these people remain afloat in the hospitality industry is completely beyond me.

Dear Brian S,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your reservations. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

I look forward to your response and be of further assistance.

Lera P
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos? Share your experiences!