“Overall Good..but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Stroudsburg
NY, NY
“Overall Good..but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have stayed many times at this particular Holiday Inn. I love the rooms. It is very clean and the hotel is in a convenient location. The staff, however, can be a bit rude and curt. I always looks at customer service and when it seems like the staff is acting "robotic" it's just a turn-off. The blonde girl speaks to you in a condescending tone. Overall, we had a good stay. It's important to stay in a clean hotel and that is one thing I can definitely say about this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gale S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We take pride in our hotel and I am glad you were happy with your stay. I have discuss the issue with the front desk which I am sure you will see a difference. We are always looking for ways to improve our service.. Thank you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express many times. I receive excellent service every time; however, Katie provides exceptional customer service. She goes above and beyond to make sure I enjoy my stay. I would recommend visitors to Stroudsburg, PA to stay at the Holiday Inn Express and say, "Hello" to Katie.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your GREAT review, I will make sure Katie reads this. Come back to visit us again soon. Thanks again.
Mt. Royal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

As an experienced travel, it is a pleasure to stay at a hotel that is very clean and organized at the front desk during check in/check out. Stacey at the front desk is always organized, prepared, happy and confident with her ability to run the operation. The new rooms have better than average hotel TV’s and a fast internet connection. I also stay at this hotel a lot because it is close to good local and chain restaurants. The full breakfast bar is a great way to start the day too. This is a great place to stay for business or pleasure.

Ken B.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Gale S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Ken thanks for the Great review,I did show Stacey the review, she was very pleased.I am sure we will see you again soon.Thanks
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed for one night in early May 2013. Hotel is well off the main Interstate but very accessable and quiet. Hotel smelled and looked nearly new. Check-in was fast and efficient. We used a coupon from rest area stop book...$59.00/night. The on-duty desk clerk with a smirk, abrubtly put a pair of scissors on the counter and ordered me to cut out the coupon from the page I'd torn out of the book. Is that really necessary? Dock one-star for smirking desk clerk who makes you cut out your coupons. I've used coupons many times and desk clerks are courteous and just take them.

Room was on top floor, spotlessly clean and generally quiet. Bedding was somewhat rough feeling (like new inexpensive sheets) as others have mentioned but not to the point of distraction. Bed itself was excellent. A/C was a wall unit and generally unobtrusive. It had a fulltime low-fan setting which helped dampen the sound from our neighbors TV through the fairly thin walls. Nothing management can do about this but hotel chains should consider more insulation during planning/building.

Breakfast was buffet style and was good by this hotel class standard. Dining room was clean and well maintained. Having access to coffee 24 hours a day is a plus.

Considering how many hotels in this area are worn down and weather beaten, this Holiday Inn Express stands out. Any negative comments above are very minor and we'd stay again at this hotel. I'd just cut out my coupon beforehand to avoid invoking the smirk of the desk clerk.

Room Tip: Choose top floor on backend for quietest rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our Hotel. We take pride in all we do at Holiday Inn Express and your issue has been addressed , we hope you come see us again..Thank you
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have never been more insulted in my life. We booked two rooms; were told that we had until 6p.m. night of arrival to cancel one or both of them from their Reservations group. One hour before the deadline and away from the hotel we called in to cancel one of the rooms. Holly their Front Desk Manager was so rude, she told us we had until 6 p.m. the night before and didn't believe us when we told her that we were told just that morning that we had until 6 p day of arrival.

It got worse! The General Manager, Gail then spoke with us, as rude if not more so... She told us she would have to call us back after checking with their Reservations group to see what they told us, like we are liers... hmmm nice way to treat a customer. When Gail called us back, she proceeded to yell and holler, yes holler for the three other passengers in the car to hear clear as day that we could not cancel a room. After much conversation and trying to explain what we were told by their reservationist she ultimately told us that we HAD to pay for both rooms or she would cancel them both on us. To top it off, she hung up on us....

After being shocked into disbelief from how she treated us we called the Reservations group again, asking them their cancellation policy. AGAIN, we were told we had until 6 p.m. day of arrival (a totally new employee). When we explained how Gail and Holly treated us she told us that she was terribly sorry and that should could do what we needed (cancel one of the two rooms and leave the second room for us to utilize upon arrival). When we were done with this step we were transferred to the Customer Relations group to lodge a complaint. While on the phone with this nice gentlemen Gail, the General Manager, cancelled our remaining room. YUP now we are 30 minutes from arrival (7 hours in a car to get their I might add) and we no longer had a room.

In the end, we were registered for a different hotel down the road which was far more than we could have expected. The Customer Service was EXCEPTIONAL There!

Of course, we went to the Hilton Express to ensure that the credit card would not be charged, Holly spoke with us, of course, she was extremely rude and short when we approached her with our request. There were 8 other parties trying to register while we were speaking with her. Of course, Gail, the General Manager was no longer on the premises leaving Holly as the Manager on Duty. Holly would not own any of the issue, she kept telling us we had until 6 p.m. the night before, after all 'She called the Reservations Group from her phone and they told her what she was saying'. This is kind of weird seeing as we had spoken to 4 different people who told us 6 p.m. the day of arrival.

When we asked for our charge card information back to ensure that we would not get charged she said "I can't pull your charge card info out of my computer and give it to you". She then proceeded to turn the computer monitor around so we could see that our info was greyed out. When I asked that she ensure she would not charge the card that day or the next her response was "I won't charge the card EVER" shaking her head, laughing and stepping back.

We asked for the owner's contact info, which Holly refused to give. She told us that she would only give us his name.

Even after telling Holly that she should honor what the Reservation group told the customer and then discuss with them behind the scenes so we would not be aware would have been the best option, she refused to accept it by stating that 'I cannot over ride my General Manager'.

By the way - We have this entire face to face interaction video taped! Will be interesting if the owner will reach out to us so he can see how his employees treat others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Kelley D,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am truly sorry that on this day you received service which is not up to your standards. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. I have taken note of your comments and this will be used to further improve on our efforts. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

Again, thanks for the candid review and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Once again my wife and I found ourselves in need of a hotel late in the evening. We were coming back from the casino and decided to pull over and get some sleep. This HIE is right next to the highway. The price was great. Even though it was late at night, they were able to accomadate us. The hotel itself was very modern. Great staff. The breakfast was very good. They allowed us late check out. The rooms were very impressive. Everything was very modern looking. The beds were extremely comfortable and great shower pressure. Number one on my list if I stay in the area again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Holly F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review!! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would make us number one on your list of accommodations when visiting the Poconos!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Very good for the money paid. Better than other hotels in the same area at the same price range- We travel at least 3-4 times a year to this location - we've tried most of the hotels already. large room, everything works in the bathroom, flat TV with built-in computer, free Wi-Fi, Free buffet Breakfast. average cost is $150 per night per room on weekend, quiet neighbourhood, easy accessible free parking. The reservation was easy at Hotels.com Recommended

Room Tip: select queen instead of standard
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WOW thank you for the great review! Also, that is a great room tip, a lot of our Guests do not realize when booking a standard room you are not getting two queen beds but any room we have available that day, so thank you for sharing that! We hope to see you again!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos? Share your experiences!