“Enjoyable off beaten path” 3 of 5 stars

Dutch Treat Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   265 Herr Rd, PO Box 265, Strasburg, PA 17579   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Strasburg
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Enjoyable off beaten path”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stayed there in 2006 and enjoyed it. Rooms were cheaper than the going rate. Room was clean with a nice view. The grounds were well taken care of. Pool was nice after a long day. The breakfast we skipped as it was fair but very basic. Owners are nice. Sitting in the gazebo with a glass of wine added a nice touch. Not many Amish actually pass where you can see them from the grounds. You would have to walk to the Rt 896 side of the motel. Our room had a window where we saw the farm next to the motel that gave buggy rides. The horses would come near the fence at night eating weeds and grass. Overall we would stay there again. One of the lowest rates of area motels.

• Liked — Quiet, maybe too quiet. Large grounds to walk around.
  • Disliked — Not enough Amish pass by.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
windsor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We found this hotel online and called to book for our trip.
I was very disappointed with the cleanliness of the room.
It is VERY old and musty smelling. I am glad I brought my own Lysol and Febreeze !!!
The air conditioning was OK but I am glad I brought a fan.
The pool was refreshing...
But we will never stay there again !!!
I am not trying to be mean just truthful....I read some good reviews about this hotel on it's web page and unfortunately believed them.

• Liked — The pool was clean and refreshing after a hot day of sightseeing.
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

The positive points:
It apears to be a family owned hotel. The staff was very friendly, ready to help with their imeadiate resources.
We had a little problem trying to connect to the internet and they quickly responded and checked the system for problems (it turned out to be my old computer not playing nice with their new wireless system) I got it working and it worked great all around the room.
They offered helpful suggestions for where to find food at the late hour in which we arrived.
The bed and pillows were very comfortable.
The place was dry and well dusted and carpets were vaccumed
The place was very quiet too. No noise at all.
No bugs (exept the moth that followed us in while unloading the car.)
AC worked fine.

The negative points:
The linnens were old and some were stained and needed replacement. Not enough towels and one face towel had a hole in it. (see the photo)
The carpets felt like they needed a good shampooing or maybe had too much old powdered deoderiser. It left your feet feeling like you had just walked through talc.
There were holes on the wallpaper near the sink (photo).
The corners of he walls showed evidence of shifting and separating. See photos.
There were a couple of un-painted repairs and rusting decorative pipe hole covers (photos)
There was evidence of a sub-tile black mold problem in the bathroom (bathtub edge and walls see photos). It was obvious they were trying to remedy the problem hoplessly from the surface.
When we mentioned that the bathroom probably should have a full gut and repair. He didn't make any comment to my suggestion.
The bedroom had a moldy smell that was most evedient after taking a shower. I suspect the whole room had some kind of mold all over (maybe in the carpets) because my 8 month old son started a bad cough after our first night there. We came back home about 2 days ago and he's still coughing. My nose was stuffed up each night there but was fine while away.
Although the pool water looked clean, the edges of the inside the pool just above the water line had a black mold stains all around it. We talked to the owner and he said someone was coming on Friday and he would mention to take extra care to clean it. He also said that he was told by the pool care company that he needed a pool liner replacement. but he had no intentions of doing it untill next year.
What I saw I would have expected from a thirty to forty dollar motel. Not what I was expecting for sixty nine dollars. I was really looing forward to a swim in a clean pool. And certainly was not expecting to have a, most likely minor, health issue for my infant.
I don't know if the family is just struggling to get by or if it is a question of poor management (not nipping the problem in the bud before it effects your clientel and thereby causeing the struggle). The owner seemed tierd of the struggle and the children seemed eager to make it all workout some how. Perhaps this would make one of those great makeover stories that we often see on TV.
We couldn't go back there untill most of those problems were fixed.
Our overall impression: I didn't see anything that was particularly Dutch and it wasn't a treat. It's not living up to its name "Dutch Treat".

Stayed July 2008
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

This motel was very nice, very close to the outlets and most major attractions. The rooms decor is a bit outdated, but very clean and comfortable. Each room had a fridge, which was nice. Owners were very friendly and appreciative of our patronage. Rooms rates were very reasonable also. Plenty of parking and easy to get in/out of the motel's parking lot. They also have a small pool which was very clean. I would stay there again, as would the other 5 people I was traveling with.

• Liked — The price, Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Binghamton, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed one night at the Dutch Treat Motel as it was right across the street from the Sight and Sound Theater. The room was small but very clean and there is parking right in front of your room and the room also has a very small fridge. You could walk across the street (can be very busy at times) and get meals at the Hershey Farm resort which we did twice. We walked over to the Sight and Sound Theater and it was so much easier than having to fight your way in and out of the parking lot. The motel also has a small pool which is very well maintained. Let it be known that this is not a fancy chain resort. It is a small establishment with no frills. But the price is right and it away from the hustle and bustle of the main highway. If you are looking for a very reasonable no frills room then I recommend the Dutch Treat Motel

West Babylon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

Stayed here a few years ago and never thought to write a review. We just recently stayed here again and same as before - can't really complain. The staff are friendly, the check-in was quick and easy and the maids deserve a hand! What really attracts people to staying at motels/hotels/inns, etc. is the price, the location, the cleanliness and the ammenities.

Dutch Treat has cleanliness, the pool is clean, the ice machine worked, the refrigerator worked very well (at least ours did), the room was clean, the beds are somewhat comfortable and the room size is average. The continental b/fast is ok, could be better. The bathroom was very clean especially the tub since I have a 2 1/2 year old who loves his bath! The towels were fully stocked as well as the toilet tissue and the tissues. Eventhough its located on Rte. 896 its not really that noisy and also has a quiet road next to it, so once evening falls and stores close up for the night (in which most close early around 8), its really quiet.

Overall, if your looking for a quiet, inexpensive, clean place to stay while in Dutch Country, I would definetely recommend.

P.S. It looks as if they recently had new windows installed in their rooms which you can open for fresh air w/out having to open your door allowing those annoying critters in. This is especially nice in the spring and summer.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dutch Treat Motel? Share your experiences!