“Lovely place; stay in the main house” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Strasburg
Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast
You added Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
429 Strasburg Road, Paradise, Strasburg, PA 17562   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Strasburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Massachusetts
“Lovely place; stay in the main house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I don't want to repeat too much of other reviews, so here is my brief opinion:

Hosts: lovely family, from the grandmother to the parents to the son, very cheerful and helpful and welcoming

Farm: Nice area to stroll around, among the buildings. [Some reviews complain about cow pies and a horrible smell and to them I say....please, stay in your big stinking cities and leave the countryside to the rest of us who appreciate "earthy" smells.]

Food: Plentiful and delicious. [I also can't _believe_ the previous reviewer complained that the beef was from the cows at the farm...what do you want, some rotting hunk of diseased flesh that you get from a big supermarket? Their low opinion is so sad, ignorant and infuriating that I just can't begin to take it apart.] The fresh eggs and milk were amazing.

Lodgings: We stayed in the white house down by the road, and unfortunately I have to agree that the traffic noise is excessive, and the cleanliness was not great (ripping out the old rugs would work wonders). Definitely not for couples; families with kids might not care so much. Agreed that the water smells like rotten eggs.

Location is great in Strasburg, as far as being away from the major bustle of Lancaster.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My family recently returned from a stay at the Verdant Farm. We stayed in the "little white house by the side of the road." My reasons for choosing this farm were for atmosphere and well, because all the others I wanted first were booked. The website boasts about the little white house and the 5 minute walk down the path to the main farm. It talked about feeding the animals and milking the cows. Our children, ages 7, 8 and twin 3 yr olds couldnt wait to go. We drove past the farm a few days before staying to try and figure out wthere we were supposed to go. We passed the white house a number of times before realizing that it was the same house I had seen on the website. It didn't look like it at all. Upon arrival, Ginny was sweet and explained about breakfast and having the run of the farm. She told us when to help milk the cows and feed the animals. Upon arriving at the white house, we realized that the "by the side of the road" was actually the side of the 50 mph highway! A path to the farm was between the highway and the field, but the actually house was maybe a car length from the highway. No fence, and a roped (with caution tape) backyard which i took to mean we couldn't walk on it. No way could my 3 yr olds run around and enjoy the beautiful land there. We couldn't risk it. I wish they had that information on their website because it would've made a hugh difference in my decision. So if you are looking for a place to relax with the kids, stay at the main house. The white house itself is run down, nothing some sanding and a can of paint can't fix, but the porch swing is amazing to watch the sunsets and sit in the breeze watching the horse and buggys go by. Inside, the front door has one flimsy bolt that kept us on our toes, since our boys could open it and run out. The kitchen is set up with everything you would need but buy water before going because their supply is high in sulphur. That took getting used to when washing! The tv/dvd/vcr is literally, tv and dvd in den, vcr in upstairs bedrooms and 4 channels on the tv. They did supply a few movies to watch though. The rooms themselves were as seen on the website except for the bunk room off the kitchen which didnt have a pic. This room comes with the downstairs room and our boys were going to sleep in there. We decided against it because the back door is in there with a ripped screen and flimsy lock. I didn't want them getting out during the night, or God forbid, someone get in. The upstairs rooms have newer bathrooms and are nicely sized. They also have ceiling fans which was good when the temperature hit 90 and there were no air conditioners in place yet. That didnt help us in the downstairs room though. We hardly sleep that night. We could've opened the windows, but there were no screens in place and dead and live bugs everywhere. Bugs. I am by no means a squeamish person, and i am aware that we were on a farm, however, The "uninvited guests" were killing the females in the house. White adult spiders appeared everywhere. My husband says spiders are in every home, but not like this. It was like we disturbed a nest and they decided to spread out everywhere! Downstairs, upstairs, in the kitchen, in the bathrooms, if there was a corner, there was a spider in it. I didnt expect room service, but i did expect the home to be clean. Especially since it's supposed to be a b&b. If I had found a vacuum, i would have cleaned. Half the problem with the bugs was the cobwebs and nests everywhere. On a positive note, our kids loved running with the dog, petting the chicks and baby bunnies and swinging on the tire swing. Don and Ginny were wonderful informative people and the experience would have been better, I think, if we had stayed in the main house. I am recommending it but not the little white house.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
North Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We had such a wonderful time at Verdant View Farm. The host were so wonderful they made us feel so at home. It was wonderful to sit down with their family and the farm staff to have a fabulous breakfast as well as great conversation. My daughters loved feeding the baby cows. The farm is also near a lot of great things to do with the family. There is something for everyone. My teen girls love to shop at the outlet mall! The farm is also close enough to hershey to spend a day at the park.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

This must be our 5th year we have head down to Verdant View. It is an annual trip I take with my sons, ages 12, 8 and 2. Ginny and Don always make us feel right at home. Between milking the cows (twice a day!!), feeding the goats, playing with the rabbits, my children never want to leave the farm. I usually try to reserve my room in March because that it how much we look forward to this trip. We always stop at Walmart first to buy new farmboots and that is all they wear while at Verdant View. The homemade breakfast is delicious, (Yay for Lydia). Cannot wait to see everyone again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

My wife and I spent two nights in August with our grandson, 12, and granddaughter, 9. Rooms in the "white house" were simple, ample, air conditioned and comfortable. (The downstairs room was less desirable, smaller and with the bath in the hall, unlike the upstairs rooms, but fully adequate.)

Our hosts were friendlly and helpful. Breakfast with a full table of guests from various parts of the country was a particularly warm experience and all were well fed with large portions of good home cooking plus plain and vanilla yoghurt. The kids were enthralled by the opportunity to actually milk the cows and feed the calves. Staff as well as our hosts went out of their way to accommodate the kids in getting close to the animals while serious work was continuing.

I do not understand prior comment that cats and other animals seemed maltreated. We were particularlly impressed, for example, by a collection of cats so amiable and affectionate toward total strangers as to make me rethink my prejudices about cats.

This location is in the midst of Amish country, well located to tour the region. We stopped at the Mennonite center in Lancaster, saw a film about Mennonites and Amish and their differences and were supplied with a guide who joined us in our car for a tour of the area. Our knowledgable guide was a person we would be pleased to have join us for dinner and provided a running history and detailed answers to our questions regarding the Amish. Our only reservation was that at the end of the tour (haven't we seen this before) she directed us, unasked, to a couple of places offering local products for sale. No harm done and we saw some charming quilts.

The kids' top choice was the maze created in a corn field down Strasbourg Road a bit; they just loved it.

• Liked — Breakfast with hosts and other guests
  • Tips/Secrets — See review
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

We just spent two nights at the Verdant View Farm B&B in Paradise, PA (Lancaster). We loved this working farm and the surrounding Amish attractions. The farm is a milk farm so our kids got to see how the milk parlor works. The farm owners, Don and Ginny, are awsome. They let the kids milk a cow, bottle feed calfs and really interact with the animals. They offer a farm breakfast in the morning which is a really nice opportunity to eat with them and the other guests (they call everyone for breakfast by ringing a big bell in the yard). It's great. In terms of nearby attractions, we wanted to learn about the Amish as much as possible. We watched the movie Jacob's Choice at Plain and Fancy Farm in the Amish Experience Theatre. The movie was not appropriate for little kids. We held our daughter's eyes and ears during parts. We didn't really get much from the movie. It wasn't worth the money or time. However, at the same location, they have a model Amish home to walk through with a tour guide that was really interesting. Our guide answered every question we ever had about the Amish. If you drive on the back roads in the various towns, you'll see lots of Amish out in their wagons and working the fields (except on Sundays). The Stratsburg train is a great 40min ride on an old steam train through the Amish countryside. They have a train museum there as well. We did a wagon ride (Ed's Buggy on route 896) which takes you to a real Amish farm. Intercourse is a great little town with lots of Amish (I even saw them shopping in the shops). If you go to Intercourse (all these little towns are nearby), there is a great little Cannin' and Jamin' store with canned jellies and salsas etc. Someone recommended this to me and I was glad I went. Lots of neat things to take home like homemade pumpkin butter and peach ginger jelly! The greatest attraction was the Sights and Sounds Theatre. Behold the Lamb (the Easter Story) was playing and was fabulous. We just saw the Lion King on Broadway and loved it, but loved Behold the Lamb even more! It's a great theatre with a wrap around stage, 40 ft. digital screens, live animals etc (we're not sure how other productions are, but this one was fantastic). My family and I have traveled to Europe and the Caribbean many times and have stayed in some of the best hotels, but there is something so special and unique about experiencing the simple way of life where simple pleasures are valuable. We will go back for another vacation to this part of the country for sure!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

I took my 8 y/o son to Lancaster for a Thanksgiving Holiday visit and booked five nights at the Verdant View Farm, a small dairy farm in Strasburg. I've been to working farms before and am well aware that animals on a farm serve a purpose and aren't pets. I wasn't prepared to see rabbits and chickens stacked in overcrowded wooden pens in a dank corner of the lower level of the barn left open so the cows can go in and out. Apparently they are keep solely for the amusement of guests in the summer and are warehoused in the off season.
The barn cats and dog scramble for one meal of table scraps and several of the cats were visibly ill. During the course of 5 cold raining days, I never saw straw being forked down to the cows, except for the new born calf, there wasn't a dry spot in the place. But what really put me over the edge was the needless death of a goat. On day two we walked around the barn and discovered two goats chained to old farm equipement. We untangled them and figured that at some point they would be but back in the barn. On the morning of day 5 we again walked to the far side of the barn (not visible from the house, street, etc) and one of the goats was laying there dead. When the host returned I told him about it and he said only, "gee, they were fine out there all summer. We keep them there to keep the weeds down."
Guests who stayed for a day or two would have nothing bad to say about the place. Our room was passably clean and the breakfasts were fabulous. The family nice and informative. But you'd think that a farm that opens itself to visitors would make an attempt to be a model farm. We left wondering which animals would be alive come spring. A bit more realism than we need. I did contact the Lancaster Humane Agency.

Been to Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!