“Best Girl Scout Trip Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Strasburg
Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast
You added Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
429 Strasburg Road, Paradise, Strasburg, PA 17562   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Strasburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Best Girl Scout Trip Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My Girl Scout troop visit to Verdant View Farm was one of the very best of the many trips we have taken in our 7 years together. We couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome--even though we arrived three hours after check-in time and had to have our host Ginny direct our two lost drivers to the farm (which isn't really hard to find unless it's dark, you're tired and you've been in the car with seven 12 year olds for three hours).

The rooms weren't fancy and are somewhat dated, but were clean and comfortable. The door locks are simple--if security is a big issue for you, you might want to look elsewhere. The rooms are well-stocked with brochures on local activities (but your best source of local info are the hosts, who are very familiar with all the area activities). The farm itself is beautiful, and the tour guides were super-friendly and informative. We were given a great walking tour in the morning, where we all had the opportunity to feed the calves and milk the cows. The host's son-in-law gave us an informative wagon tour after breakfast so we could see the rest of the farm.

But the best part for me was the breakfast. Heaping dishes of scrambled eggs, sausage, fried cheese, and breads. Fresh, raw milk (a novel experience for all of us) and peppermint/spearmint tea. And peach cobbler with peach yogurt. All of the foods are sourced from either Verdant View or neighboring farms.

On the way home, we asked the girls what their favorite part of the trip had been. Their surprising answer--the farm kittens! It occurred to me that since they live in a close-in suburb to D.C., they have never seen cats just wandering around before. They were charmed by the sight of 10 friendly little cats roaming around the grounds.

I would highly recommend Verdant View to families and church/scout groups who want a taste of real country life. I would suggest that you book early if you are bringing a group (although it looks like they are planning to expand the farmhouse), and that you plan to stay over on a night other than Saturday, since they do not offer the breakfast or tour on Sunday morning.

Room Tip: Rooms 1&2 share a bath, but sinks are in the bedroom itself. Room 2 has a tall bunk bed withou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
VerdantView, Manager at Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We're so glad your girl scout troop and leaders thoroughly enjoyed their visit to our farm! The kittens are precious to us, and we're glad that others enjoy them as much as we do. It's so much fun to see them playing together and chasing each other. As you mentioned, we serve a full farm breakfast Monday through Saturday. For anyone that stays Saturday evening, we offer a complimentary breakfast at an adjacent business -- we wouldn't want anybody to go hungry! :) Additionally, everyone that is here on the farm on Sundays are welcome to come to barn to milk cows, bottle feed the calves, interact with the small animals, and engage in conversation with our family. The only difference is that we don't offer wagon rides on Sundays, and so we try our best to have everyone take the ride either Saturday afternoon or Monday morning. We're sorry that you missed the safety railing for the top bunk in Room 2 - it is stored underneath the bunk bed for easy access. We'll try to be more diligent in telling visitors about it during their check-in. Thanks again for your visit and kind review!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Germantown, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I went with my oldest daughter and a friend for a "big girls" weekend. Everyone was wonderful right from the start. We were greeted by Patrick as soon as we drove in to the lot. We had a nice chat with Ginny while Geronimo, the cow, was in labor. The wagon tour was fun and educational. The kittens and Scooby, the dog, were adorable. Feeding the animals, catching a chicken and having a goat climb on my back was awesome. There was a little hay maze as well for the little ones. The best part was watching a calf being born. Thank you Verdant View Farm for making us feel like family! I've already booked a room for November for myself, husband and kids :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you! Geronimo and her baby, Georg, are doing well. Georg is eating a lot, and he loves to give slobbery kisses to anyone within reach. All the animals, and all of us at Verdant View, are looking forward to your return in November!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This past August we made our third visit to Verdant View Farm with our two grandchildren. They never tire of the kittens, calves, baby goats and farm living. this trip we saw a calf and her mother 20 minutes after delivery. Each visit the grandkids ask to stay longer. I used to think two nights was enough, but I may have to reconsider next visit.

Room Tip: The guest house is supposed to be very nice, but we like staying right in the farmhouse so that the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
VerdantView, Manager at Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We love that your grandchildren thoroughly enjoy the animals and their annual trek to our farm. We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Glen Allen, VA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I loved staying at the Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast. My room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. But the real treat was the delicious farm fresh breakfast we were served every morning, and the opportunity to milk the cows and bottle feed the calves and take the tractor ride on the farm. Most people bring their kids and it's great for families, but I came by myself and enjoyed all the activities at least as much as the kids! I even got on all fours for a goat to climb on my back and walk on it, giving me a sort of back massage! What a hoot! Of course just sitting on the porch you can watch the Amish horse and buggies go by, and get a good feel of the land. Many people did a lot of sightseeing in the area during the day, but I relaxed and enjoyed the peace and quiet! The local food is good and reasonably priced. I highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
VerdantView, Manager at Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Beth, We love to welcome the young at heart, and you certainly fit that description! We very much enjoyed having you here on the farm, and we're glad you enjoyed the experience. Your picture of the goats on your back made me laugh as did the picture of you milking the cow....you're milking one teat, but two of them have milk coming out of them. You must be very talented in getting the cows to let down their milk!! All the best to you.
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is our third summer visiting Verdant View. We absolutely love it! My three children love playing with Scooby, and all the adorable kittens! The breakfast is to die for!! This year when I got back to New Jersey, I realized I left my pocketbook with all my money, credit cards, phone, etc. at the farm. I called immediately, and they found my bag and sent it overnight to me. They are a wonderful family and we can't wait to go back next summer!! Wonderful memories are made here!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review! Scooby is such a great dog that we're thinking of promoting him to full-time tour guide. What do your children think.... could he do it? :) We're so glad to know that your purse successfully made it back into your hands. We look forward to your next visit!
Lindenhurst, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I loved this farm tour. We had a very friendly knowledgeable nice young lady give us the tour and she answered all of my annoying numerous questions. I finally got to milk my first cow !!! Like the guide mentioned, there aren't that many working farms that will allow people to come in and milk their cows.....and that was such s treat as our last stop before leaving the Amish County. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested. I will return to this farm the next time I come to Lancaster!

• Stayed August 2013
VerdantView, Manager at Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed the Farmland Fun tour. If you're ever in the area again, please come visit us! And now that you know how to milk a cow, maybe we could sign you up for the evening milking?! :)
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

What a pleasant way to kick off our five-day Lancaster vacation. Elisa is a friendly host and guide at her family's family-friendly working farm and inn (just down the road from Strasburg Railroad and Choo-Choo Barn). Arriving at 2:30 pm was perfectly lucky timing for the 3:00 farm tour, included with your overnight stay. Don't miss the tour. Scooby the dog cheerfully joins you all over the farm, from feeding goats and chickens, to riding the tractor-pulled wagon, to milking cows. Also included with your stay is a home cooked, farm-to-table breakfast, featuring raw milk from Verdant's own herd. Thx to Amy for finding and booking here!

• Stayed August 2013
Loved your review! Thanks so much for your kind remarks. It sounds like you enjoyed every aspect of the farm bed and breakfast. We hope to welcome you back to the farm sometime soon.

Been to Verdant View Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!