“Manager lied to our face!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Amish Lanterns Motel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Route 896 South, (Off Route 30), Strasburg, PA 17579   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Strasburg
Maple Shade, New Jersey, United States
“Manager lied to our face!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We are both handicappi and needed a ground floor room. Placed our reservation online and requested a king size bed and coffee maker and needed to be on the ground floor. We placed our reserv. on 08/09/11 for 09/24/11 to 09/26//11 and when we got there we were told that she had called us and said that there were no king size on first floor. We were both shocked cause we never recieved any calls to that effect! Manager got really angered that we said that we never received any calls from her. Never got told of any of the specials that they had by getting a room there. If you are reading this please do yourself a "BIG" favor and go "ANY" where else!!!! Sleep in your car would have been an upgrade!!!! And the room we had had an odor to it.

Room Tip: Anywhere other than this place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Staten Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was quite possibly the worst motel I have ever stayed at. We checked in yesterday (8/23/11) and left later that night. We had a great time in Strasburg after we dropped our bags off and came back to a horror show later that night. First off, there was a giant spider web hanging from the ceiling. We were told someone left that day. I highly doubt that as it looked like no one was in there for a while. Okay, a spider web, no biggie. We tried to turn on the lights but they were so dim, we needed to keep our window shades open to see the room.

Next up, the pool looked like it was filled with salt water. That's fine, we weren't there for the pool anyway. Disgusting, but nothing that would spoil our vacation. We hopped in the car and drove around town and got back around 10pm.

As we walked in to the room, my girlfriend noticed blood on the box spring. Mind you the box spring was exposed without a cover and looked like it was from 1975. Blood. Seriously? You can't clean that up with Simple Green? How bad of a pig are you to let that show?

The bathroom was a whole other battle site that looked worse than the Invasion of Normandy. Mold on the toilet that I had to clean off, no tissues (That the incompetent "Manager" so happily said that they don't carry tissues in the room - How the hell don't you carry tissues in a motel room?!?!) and more importantly, a TV that didn't work. Fine, we don't need a TV. We are here to enjoy the town and ourselves. But a TV should be nice.

Listen, I know I only paid $70 for the night but come on, there were other motels in the area that were cheaper and from what I've heard, much cleaner.

Now, onto the "Manager". Well, she was a trip. She completely dismissed my complaints and wouldn't refund us our money. I guess it's okay to be a manager of a business and not worry about your reputation. Where I come from, managers at least make an attempt to make the customer happy. She shouldn't even be called a manager and the owner of the motel should be ashamed of him or herself for hiring her. She (who will remain nameless) didn't even care to apologize about our horrible stay. I wouldn't even call it a stay since we left that night!

As I scratch myself here in fear that I might have brought back a nice case of bed bugs, I can honestly say PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE! The room was terrible! If you're a vampire or salt water fish, then this is the motel for you. But if you're a clean, normal human being who cares for his or her health and safety, keep driving. Don't let it ruin your trip as it had ours. Now I have to spend today writing to the Better Business Bureau of Lancaster County, as well as other organizations.

The manager has my information so if she feels like she wants to redeem herself, as any competent and professional manager should, she should feel free to contact me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DeKalb, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The first thing to know is that we are REALLY easy-going people and don't get too worked up about little inconveniences. That having been said, we were flabbergasted when we got to the motel. Made reservations early due to what appeared to be a very nice website, but when we arrived we found a motel that looks like it had already turned to transient housing. The grounds were a mess, the pool was clouded green with algae, it was later afternoon and food was still out on the breakfast room counters stored open, and the room was beyond just old decor (which we don't mind at all) and appeared not to have been rented out or serviced at all recently - maybe not even within the last several months. An abandoned van with flat tires was parked by the rooms. The buildings themselves were in pretty notable disrepair, and we just gave up on it and left immediately. Too bad.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Harrington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I had read reviews stating this motel was bad, but I figured even if the motel was old and "shabby," we only needed a motel for one night and just wanted a clean room with 2 comfortable beds, and AC. We had reservations made several weeks ago. When I walked in, I told the "new" manager I just wanted to make sure the room was clean and had AC as the temps were in the 90s. {Several of the key boxes had signs that said "Do not rent this room." She gave us the Room #25 key, telling us the window was open because the room had been "closed off" until recently. We walked in to a very muggy, musty room. The towels in the bathroom smelled like they had been in there the whole time the room was "closed off." We went to close the open window and the crank on the window fell off. We turned the AC on and only "fan" air came out. But we were still willing to give it a chance. I took a shower, and upon coming out of the shower, noticed a bunch of dead spiders on the floor in the corner of the bathroom. I went to pick them up with some TP and the TP came up filthy. I took another wad of TP and wiped it across the bathroom floor and it came up black, almost like soot. I checked the underside of the bath mat I had just stepped on and the whole underside of it was black streaks. We turned the "made" beds down and there were bugs in the sheets. I took my "evidence" to the manager and she gave me they key to Room 30. Room 30 was clean, but was missing whole light fixure in the bathroom ceiling (hole in the ceiling). The AC could be set to 60 degrees, but could not be set to "cool," only to "heat." The manager "grugingly" gave me the key to two more rooms, 15 and 16 telling me, "if neither one of these is good enough, that's all we got." Well, Room 15's AC didn't work at all, and Room 16 had only one double bed. We ended up taking Room 30 with the AC set on "heat" only putting out fan air. We had to sleep in a motel room with the windows wide open all night. I have NEVER EVER had even a remotely bad experience like this motel. And the web site for the motel says "3 Stars motel." I think the health inspector should close this place down, and it should be fined for false advertising. I didn't see until after we stayed there that the website had a 100% guarantee. I should have run when I had the chance!!!!!
Oh, and their "continental breakfast" was a few cereals and muffins. Also the pool was just full of green slimey water and unusable. And this was a 3-day holiday weekend!

Room Tip: Don't even try. Run like heck!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Copenhagen, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

The room itself was fairly clean. The motel inside and out and the grounds were very run down and shabby. The outdoor pool was not yet open but I would not swim in it regardless. Dirty and not well maintained. No phone or clock in room. The free breakfast consisted of bran cereal, donuts, toast, coffee, juice and milk. On a positive note, it is very close to the Sight & Sound Theater and other attractions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brandy Station, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were astonished at the shabby, abandoned appearance of this motel when we pulled into the parking area and things only went downhill from there. (The ONLY reason that we stayed was the fact that we made prior reservations and they had our credit card info.) The room was dingy and dirty and the carpet was filthy. The towels and sheets were a grey color and USED soap was left in the tub. The internet did not work and the TV was jury-rigged to operate with 2 remotes. The ice machine did not work. We did not partake of the free breakfast because who would want to eat or drink under these conditions?!

Room Tip: Go to Econo-Lodge. They're cleaner!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Unfortunately I chose this motel because of the price. It's a dump! Bathtub was grimy, moldy and dirty; toilet seat had huge chips in it; bathroom ceiling vent was caked with dust and grime. Carpet was stained. Comforter and blankets were stained. Towels were dingy gray. Room had a microwave and fridge - the fridge temp control knob was broken, and it froze everything I put in it. Television had only one channel. Embarrassed to say I stayed here two nights!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!