“Stay away” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Historic Drive, Strasburg, PA 17579 (Formerly Netherlands Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Strasburg
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Stay away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Take a look at your room before paying, our room was about the size of a walk in closet. The so called curtain on our window was useless, you could see right through it. I guess it wouldn't matter if it was the second floor, but our room was on the first floor and one of the first rooms that you walk past. Not worth the money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We strive for 100% Guest Satisfaction with all our guests. We would have appreciated you notifying our Front Desk Staff to address and resolve your concerns. We welcome you back to visit our Hotel in the future.

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Normally I do tend to splurge on a hotel room, but in this case it was the pet-friendliness that drove our stay here. For only $15/night we were able to bring our dog along with us, which was what we needed on this trip. The hotel is superbly situated for shopping at the outlets and access to the sights, including the Strasburg Railroad, which we visited thus weekend. It literally is about 5 minutes from the hotel-you occasionally even can hear the train whistle faintly. The rooms ARE worn, but it is very clean and the beds are comfortable. It is quiet and we could sleep well as there was nothing to disturb either our dog or our toddler. The service also is good. The first room reeked of smoke but a call to the front desk sorted that our immediately (be warned if you choose to violate the non-smoking policy, as the clerk noted she charged $150 to the previous occupant after verifying the smoke smell in that first room). We also were able to get a late check out which allowed us the luxury of sleeping in a bit. The Fireside Tavern onsite also was a good value and very convenient. Overall, not normally a hotel that would have been my first choice, but a great choice in this situation.

• Stayed December 2012
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We take pride that our Hotel is situated in Amish country. Spacious rooms and warm atmosphere. We look forward to your return visit to our Hotel.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My brother and I stayed here on a Sunday night in early December. When we arrived they had us scheduled for a “pet” room and that was unacceptable. It was apparently a booking error on my part – I clicked the pet room! But they could not change it right way (no clue why) and we were asked to return in an hour. We did and they did give us room (Room 115). It was large enough - 2 queen beds, with small fridge, microwave, TV, desk, etc. The beds were comfortable and I slept well. The room however, was clearly worn. There were multiple paint chips in the wood work and trim, the toilet paper holder was falling from the wall and the caulk in the shower was discolored or missing. BUT the major issue was the layers of dust behind the bed headboards. The headboards were attached to the wall and when I peered behind them – serious dust. I guess the cleaners never dust there! We went to print our airline boarding passes in the “business center” (2- computers). One machine would not print and would only provide the airline screen in German – which we could not change. The other was turned off and we could, at first, not make it work. I went to the office and asked for help – the woman said she could not help, but that we could print our boarding passes at the front desk computers. We would have done that but when I returned to the computer room brother had figured out how to print and so we did. Breakfast was touted as a big treat at this hotel (both in their adverts and by previous Trip Advisor reviewers), but when we showed up on a Monday morning (we were the only ones there) there biscuits and gravy was the only “unique” food, along with two kinds of cereal, hard boiled eggs, some fruit – not as good as a normal chain hotel breakfast. BUT, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, when we expressed disappointment in the breakfast fare to the kitchen person (cook?), she apologized and cooked us each a generous portion of scrambled eggs – they were delicious! So there are some nice home touches at this hotel – the people are one. I would have to think hard, but I might well stay here again if in the area. The restaurant next-door is quite popular and good – we ate there the evening we staye

Room Tip: Ask to see it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We have a full hot breakfast each morning and will cook to order when close to closing time. We look forward to your next visit.
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

It was a very cold evening and we found this very nice inn, in a quiet place near the authentic Amish village - Strasbourg in Pennsylvania. The rooms are clean and nice and the front desk manager was very helpful. It's not the high luxury but comfortable for a night on the road for tourists.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We are a Historic Hotel nestled in the amish countyside, surrounded by amish farmland and near the Strasburg Railroad. Our rooms are clean comfortable and each room has different charm and character. We look forward to your return visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The hotel had a cute flair about it due to the buildings and the layout. We stayed in room 103 which had two queen beds. It was a pretty good size room and it came with a mini fridge and microwave. The beds were firm but comfortable, the tv was nice and had many channels to choose from. The breakfast was very good with many options. Also, the free wifi worked well.

My biggest problem was the bathroom. It is outdated and the shower looked very worn out. My water temperature was hard to regulate in the shower. I had it just right and then it went ice cold on me then very hot. I do believe the nearby rooms play a factor in that, if someone is taking a bath or shower it seems like it affects you. Also, we were awoken much too early the morning of our departure by the sound of the upstairs or neighboring water from the shower or tub it was super loud....I mean loud and woke me and my husband up abruptly.

The restaurant right next door looked very busy and popular. We wish we would have eaten there instead of the Brasserie.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are a Historic Hotel and some features as well as the decor are restored. We look forward to your return visit.
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Three friends and I stayed here during the past week, when we came to play bridge at a tournament in Lancaster. We got this hotel via Priceline and could not have been more pleased. No, it's not a luxury property, but it is clean, comfortable and very welcoming. The rooms, each with two double beds, were perfect for two friends and it was great to have two sinks in each room. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and the good coffee, always available in the lobby. I rate this hotel as "excellent" for its category and recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. Our goal is to provide a clean comfortable room at a reasonble price. Our location in the amish countryside and great service lend to a charming stay.
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked a couple weeks in advance for nov 1,2,3. Against my better judgement, my hubby wanted to take our daughter and grandaughter to lancaster. Our special needs were to make certain that the housekeeping had our room well cleaned because someone in our party was currently taking chemotherapy treatment. We arrived at this clarion, I guess around 5 or a little after. The clerk lady seemed a little confused as to "now where will i
I put you..like we were surprise guest. "here, there.. no here" and finally gave us a room key. fter a long day of travel, and cooler weather than we anticipated my daughter opened the door of our room first thing that she saw was paint chips everywhere.. she peeked on in the door enough to just see that the room was dirty..unmade beds and towels on the floor. It was freezing cold so everyone piled back up in our vehicle and I walked back across the parking lot, through the grass lot to the office. I informed the clerk that the room was dirty and it was unacceptable. She said what do you mean its dirty? I described to her what we noticed. She said you mean the room hasn't been cleaned I said no it hasn't and I specifically requested that the room be extra clean per our special need. She acknowledged my request..and said yes, I saw that on your reservation. The clerked looked and looked at the computer.. I could tell she was very fustrated with the situation.. and said finally do you have to have two queens? I said yes, there are 4 of us.. I was kind of expecting next to have her ask for us to wait while she had the room cleaned but after a while she finally said.. well, I guess, I will have to put you in 241 which is a suite, but I can't do anything else. She said there wouldn't be an upcharge. Room 241 was nice and roomy, at the end of the hall. Over all the hotel is as others have said, showing its age. The whole arrangement of out buildings was rather odd. The tub was worn, and it leaked the whole time. the windows stayed fogged in the room from the heaters (which took a while but did heat nicely). The beds were comfy. We had neighbors come in one night that were way, way to loud in the hallway. I heard someone ask them to quiet down at least once, but when they went on going on 9, I stepped out to find young people standing/talking all in the hall. I said, hey guys, I am trying to put a little one to bed, can yall please keep it down. I gained a very respectful "yes, mam" and heard no more after that. - thank you. I don't think the kids knew how loud they were being our how the noise was bounceing in the hallway. The shower was nice and hot, but went cool sometimes, while running. Breakfast was eh.. typical adaquate I guess, though we did have to wait on saturday for a table. I didn't understand the tarp bungy strapped on the breakfast sunroom - very tacky. I'd stay here again. maybe, but I'd look else where first.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Hotel. We are a Historic Hotel with Historic significance here in the amish countryside. We are sorry to hear that other guest were not considerate .Our check in time is at 4pm and when a guest requests early check-in , we cannot guarantee that accomadation. Rooms are preassigned prior to arrival and may not be ready prior to the 4 pm check-in.I apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to return in the future.

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!