“Wonderful Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn

You added Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Historic Drive, Strasburg, PA 17579 (Formerly Netherlands Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
State College, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My Husband & I stayed at the Hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday. We travel to the area for shopping trips or just to relax. We had a WONDERFUL experience at the hotel. The rooms were extremely clean. The grounds were beautiful. We had the pleasure of meeting Jody L. Osborne who is the Executive Sales Assistant, she is a wonderful person, who really cares about the Property. We had a wonderful time visiting with Jody. We cannot wait to return.

R & R
State College, Pa

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ExecSalesAsst, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Nothing makes me happier about my position at the hotel when I have the opportunity to meet guests who appreciate that a stay at our property is about a "total experience" and that some of the unique quirks of our facility are what enhance that experience!

Thank you for sharing your kind words (and making this sales assistant blush!), and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
smithsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The stay was great. The room was very clean. My wife and I visit Lancaster area a few times a year, and we always stayed at differant places not anymore, we will stay here for now on. We has a king semi suite and the room was huge. Nice king size bed.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine at this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay with us. We know you have many choices for lodging in the area, and we're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at ours.

We agree that the king suite room we have is very nice in offering spaciousness to relax as well as a large, comfortable bed and a variety of pillow types. We're thrilled that you liked it so much that you would consider coming back to visit us again.

Again, thank you for your kind words, and we look forward to serving your future lodging needs in the area!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband and I travel to Lancaster quite often and generally we stay at the Fulton Steamboat but on this trip on August 23, 2011, we decided to stay in Strasburg at this Historic Inn. My employer had stayed here during a Commissioner's Conference and he didn't have any bad comments about it so we decided to stay a little farther away from all the traffic area around the Steamboat.
Upon arrival I asked the front desk for the ladies room and was directed up the stairs. My first impression: Wow, maybe I'm sorry we chose this inn. The sink in the ladies room was coated with what appeared to be dried coffee or cola stains. The entire sink! Now, I can't blame the inn if an ignorant guest poured their drink in the sink but, it was completely dried leaving me to wonder just how long it had been there without attention. The restroom was tucked in a corner at the end of the hallway and apparently housekeeping doesn't check it often. I mentioned this to the front desk, and they simply said, "oh yeah, probably someone threw coffee in it". I didn't see any attempt to call housekeeping to make them aware that it needed attention.
But okay, I am still anticipating having a nice evening here so I kept an open mind. We entered our room, #113, and first impression was that it was clean and neat. And generally it was. But once passed the front door, there were large pieces of wallpaper missing. Not just near the closet area, but two large pieces of missing wallpaper in the bathroom..I don't know about you, but when I pay to spend the night I expect to at least have as equal accommodations as I have at home. Needless to say, I was disappointed with our change of accommodations on this trip. I will say that the bed was very comfortable. Dinner at the inn's restaraunt, the Fireside Tavern, was delicious and the complimentary deluxe continental breakfast was more than enough and very good.
I will most likely dine at the Fireside Tavern in the future, but on our trip to Lancaster next week, we will not be staying at the inn. Sorry!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your visit with us.

On behalf of management, I apologize that you encountered an unclean and unkept public restroom upon your arrival. Our restrooms are serviced at least one time daily (more during high occupancy), and without report, the condition that you experienced could go unnoticed until the time of service the next day. Although I have no way of knowing, I am hopeful that our front desk staff, who is trained to do so, did follow up AFTER you completed your check-in process to make certain that the area was properly cleaned.

We are aware that, during the course of a very busy summer season, the wallpaper in several of our guest rooms has deteriorated to the point of needing repair/replacement, and plans were already in place for that work to be done during the slow months of January and February of 2012. We will be working to bring updates and some "TLC" to all of our guest rooms during this time.

I am glad that you enjoyed the comfort of your bed, since our primary promise to our guests is a good night's sleep, and that you also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast the next morning. I will also share your comments about Fireside Tavern with the managers of the restaurant.

Again, thank you for taking time to share your comments and concerns, and we are hopeful to have similar issues addressed for the new year.
Richmond, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in several B&B's in the Lancaster area and all have been very good. On this stay we were given a room 108 so small that the queen sized bed took up most of the room. The rest of the furniture was very worn. The fixtures in the bathroom
(shower and sink) were not working well and poorly maintained. The switch on electric heater in the bathroom could not be turned off making the small room hot. The air conditioner was so load you could not run it and sleep. We could not wait til morning to get out of there.

We wrote to the company (Clarion Inn) and received a reply that it must have been an isolated incident and the Inn would contact us. This never happened. From now on Choice Hotels is to us last Choice Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint John
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed for one night while in Strasburg. The hotel was nice but needs some attention.
the doors do not close by themselves. So make sure you check that your room door is closed
the bathtub had large parts of the enamel missing exposing the fiberglass underneath.
Postive things. Very friendly front desk staff
nice comfortable bed
I would stay here again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We took a ride to Amish country without reserving a hotel room, but I had checked out a few new possibilities, including this establishment. We travel to this area at least once a year and love the relaxed country atmosphere. Our experience at the Clarion Inn only made our trip better. Jody is a friendly and delightful person who was quick to fulfill our request for a second floor room overlooking the beautiful scenic farm across the road. The room has cathedral ceilings, is larger than most hotel rooms in the area, and was extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the more than adequate breakfast is included, along with excellent wireless internet service. Thanks for everything, Jody and staff, we'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for second floor in the front. You may hear trucks in the morning, but the view of the Amish far...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ExecSalesAsst, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel property. We are always thrilled when we get to share the amazing view with our guests! I'm glad you enjoyed the guest room's spaciousness and cleanliness as well as the view.

We look forward to having you return to visit us in the future!
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Strasburg Inn several years ago and found our stay very enjoyable. I was therefore looking forward to my girlfriend and I staying there this past weekend and was happy I was able to get a good rate by booking through the Lancaster County Visitors Bureau. I kept telling her how nice it was. I could not have been more disappointed in what we found and embarrassed that I talked so glowingly of a hotel that has gone downhill badly. This will be a long review for a one night stay but there was just so much wrong, it all has to be mentioned.

1. Upon entering our room we noticed several areas right inside the door on the carpet that had white paint marks on it. These ranged from drops to long smears. They were also on the carpet in the bedroom area near the desk and right outside the bathroom door. Obviously whoever painted this room never heard of a drop cloth and housekeeping never saw fit to attempt to clean this.
2. There was an area on the carpet that had a white powder on it near the front door. I don't know if it was a carpet cleaner such as I Love My Carpet or what but again, housekeeping should have noticed this and swept it up.
3. There were 2 sinks in the room. One in a little vanity area outside the bathroom and one in the bathroom itself. The one in the vanity area had no drain stopper and pulling the lever didn't move anything so it wasn't attached underneath.
4. When I used the sink in the bathroom I noticed the handle on the faucet was loose and could spin around, it turns out the handle wasn't attached and it fell off in my hand. Someone had just sat it on the little post on the faucet body.
5. The refrigerator that I requested a week prior to our arrival was not in our room upon our arrival. I called the desk and they said one would be delivered. One was delivered but from the storage room across the hall so it hadn't been plugged in and wasn't cold which defeated the purpose of paying for a fridge since we had cold items we wanted to put in when we got there, not wait several hours till the fridge was cold enough. A warm fridge is useless.
6. Our room was equipped with a balcony but when I went outside I noticed all the other room's balconies had 2 chairs and a table. Ours had nothing. I don't know why ours was left out.
7. There were several areas in the bathtub where you stand where the surface was worn off exposing the material underneath. These ranged in size also from dime size to a couple inches long. Disgusting.
8. To go along with all the white marks on the carpet there was a very noticeable black dot of some kind near one of the beds. Is the carpet ever cleaned? Don't think so. Not with all these marks.
9. On our empty balcony one of the posts on the railing was rotted away on the bottom and was just hanging from the top. Unsafe and bad looking.
10. There were marks and scratches on almost all the walls including one that looked like someone picked their nose and wiped it on the wall. Sorry if that sounds disgusting but you had to see it.
11. On the coffee mugs there are paper covers which are SUPPOSED to show the mugs are clean and keep dirt out but one of the covers was stained with coffee already. Aren't new ones used each time? Disgusting.

How anyone could walk out of that room and think it was fit to rent is beyond me. Just wait. It gets better. When we went to the front desk to ask for a different room the young woman asked what was wrong. I rattled off the whole list as she wrote it all down. She said she could move us to a different room on the same floor but then said because of all our trouble she would upgrade us to a room overlooking the pool that already had a fridge in it. I thought getting an upgrade always meant getting a much better room but I soon found out that isn't always true, more on that later.
I asked the girl if we could get credit for the fridge we paid for in the other room and this was her response. "I will take it off your bill but just so you know you are already getting a good rate, you are only paying $79 and our regular rate is $139 but I will take the fridge off your bill." Apparently, she thought we should pay for a warm fridge in a room we weren't going to be staying in and telling someone "you are already getting a good rate" is a polite way of saying shut up and quit your complaining, what more do you want since you are paying less than the normal rate. What that comment had to do with anything is beyond me, I don't care if I'm paying $79 or $139 what's right is what's right and there are things you shouldn't accept. Paying for a fridge you aren't using is one of those things. She also told us she wouldn't charge us the $10 upgrade fee. Gee, thanks. Seriously, how could you? I guess that was supposed to impress us.

So we were moved to our "upgraded" room. Other than having a fridge in the room already there was nothing that qualified this room to be considered an upgrade over the other. Yes it had a view of the pool. Whoopee. This room didn't have a balcony like the one we had so we lost that. Here's what was wrong with this room. I guess it was a better room since there were less than 11 things wrong with it.

1. There was actually duct tape holding one of the small panes of glass in the window. Duct tape. In a hotel that charges $139 a night. How is that even allowed?
2. The cable wouldn't work properly. Several of the channels we should have got came up with a message that said your cable service was interrupted and should come back on shortly. Sometimes the channel would come on if you flipped to another one and then back but some channels never worked no matter what trick you tried.
3. The AC was so loud it sounded like it was going to rattle off the wall and was made it impossible to sleep so I had to turn it on fan only. Good thing we were staying in September and not July.
4. There were areas on the wall and on the ceiling were it was obvious without looking too hard that someone had painted to cover up patch work or just to cover something up. This looked really bad and is something a professioanl painter wouldn't do but I'm not surprised after seeing the job they did in the other room. Must have been the same guy. Again, how often do you see that in a hotel that charges $139 a night?
After traveling all day and being as tired as we were I didn't feel like going back down and complaining. If I had I would have just asked for my money back and went somewhere else. I would have been too afraid to see what the next room they gave us would have looked like.

More things I noticed outside our room.

1. When we went into the building where our first room was we had to swipe our room key to unlock the door. When we moved to our upgraded room we went out the door on the other end that had no such lock. Why bother having one door that locks when the other doesn't? I guess they are hoping for a really stupid criminal that only tries one door.
2. There was a pack'n'play opened up sitting in one of the stairwells next to the soda machine. I don't know if it was dirty or clean but is that were these things are kept? What if it was clean? Would you want your baby sleeping in something that was left open in a stairwell? I wouldn't. I feel bad for any guest who used that thinking it was clean.

When we checked out the charge for the fridge we didn't use that was supposed to be removed from our bill was still there. Good thing I asked about it. I'm forwarding this to the hotel itself, their corporate office, and the Lancaster Visitors Bureau. This is not what this hotel used to be and it is a shame it has become this. We will certainly never stay here again and will advise our family and friends to do the same. There are plenty of other hotel choices in the Lancaster area. We will stay in the "cookie cutter" hotels as the employee who responds to the reviews on here likes to call them. At least they don't have duct tape on their windows. Oh, and if the hotel would like to dispute anything I've listed here or claim I'm exaggerating or making stuff up, I have pictures of just about everything so don't bother and I will try to post as many as I can.

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms. Maybe some less bad than others.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ExecSalesAsst, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
We are appalled over the amount of unpleasantries you experienced during your stay here. We would like to offer you a form of compensation, but you will need to contact Nora, our front desk manager, so that she may get the information necessary to do so. Thank you.

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!