“Overbooked-Our reservation not honored-Sent packing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn

You added Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Historic Drive, Strasburg, PA 17579 (Formerly Netherlands Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Milford, DE
“Overbooked-Our reservation not honored-Sent packing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

They overbooked and our reservation, made a month in advance, was randomly cancelled and transferred to the Holiday Inn Express 2 miles down the road at the Rockvale shopping center, where we had just come from. No one notified us in advance of this change and we had dinner reservations at their restaurant, The Bistro, that evening. So we had to fight the traffic again and drive back to Rockvale and later drive back to the Bistro for dinner. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed that they treated us like a number, especially since we had stayed there twice before. There was a silver lining to this fiasco- our accomodations at the Holiday Inn Express were modern, cleaner & much nicer than those at the Netherlands and free because at least the Netherlands had the decency to foot the bill. I will never recommend the Netherlands and I will never stay there or eat there again. Once burned, twice shy!! We were treated so much better at the Holiday Inn Express -they were sympathetic and nice - I received a bonus of 1000 pts as a Priority Club Member.

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

The hotel is under contract to be sold. This should be a great change. At this point the overwelmed staff is trying to keep it going and hopefully they will. Some of the rooms have a nice update, but over all you feel like it could fall apart at any minute. One of the buildings had no hot water but the hotel compensated for that with a % refund. The Bistro food is great on the menu, and now if it could all come hot that would be the best.
This place has a great potential and is beautiful. If you are looking for a tired B&B this is the place for you. Modern it is not. But still it has a charm. Hopefully the new owners will capitalize on it and make it shine.

Stayed November 2007
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

Visited for one night on a tour,nice and peaceful after the cities we had seen.The room was large and well equipped even had a rocking chair!
We were advised that sometimes the restaurant was fully booked due to coach parties so the option was to make a reservation as soon as you arrived or bring something with you as there is nowhere around to eat.(we had a nice dinner of bread and cheese, pastries and a bottle of wine)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of alternative dinning options
  • Stayed October 2007
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

Recently my boyfriend and I had dinner at the Bistro located right on the premises of the Netherlands Inn and Spa. I booked the reservation directly through the hotel because it was a birthday dinner for my boyfriend. The staff could not have been nicer. The young woman that was the hostess that night saved us a beautiful table over the by the window overlooking the beautiful Amish Country. Both meals were delicious. Our waitress was also very efficient and friendly. We especially liked the quiet atmosphere. We both don't have kids so that is what we liked the most about the place. There was one child behind us but the parents must take him to places like this often, because he was very well behaved. I think if you are looking for hot dogs and hamburgers, there are plenty of places in Lancaster that serve those kind of meals (McDonalds). I did not stay in the hotel but we would like to go back and give it a try. Thanks for such a nice memorable evening!

Stayed September 2007
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

My friends and I were looking for a hotel with a spa for a mom's weekend in August. We decided to go with the Netherlands Inn because the spa was on site. We booked the hotel a month in advance and unfortunately the spa was booked already for the Sunday in which we were staying. We found the Spa at Intercourse Village...we really enjoyed it there...very nice spa!
Two days before our night at Netherlands Inn, I received my credit card statement in the mail. The hotel had charged me $200 on the day I made the reservation. When I called the hotel, they said I was a no-show and charged my credit card. They took a very long time to remove it from my card. I called and left numerous messages with the manager until he finally took me seriously.
Advice...DO NOT call the 800 number for reservations. If you call the hotel for reservations, DO NOT let them transfer you to some offsite reservation location (call center)...you can barely hear them at the reservation center and they were apparently the ones responsible for my incorrect charge.
Ask for a room above the front desk area (that is where we stayed). The room seemed renovated and had ample room with two queens (better than two doubles). The water pressure was pretty low and very hot...almost burning at times in the shower.
Breakfast was pretty good. Lots of choices for a free breakfast. It wasn't gourmet, but was fine. Waitresses there were really nice.
No fridge in room...would have been nice.
Also, if any of you are clean freaks as I am, our room was clean, but the ice bin in the stairwell had no scoop anywhere in sight.

• Liked — Nice grounds and near outlets
  • Disliked — Management and reservations
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

My wife and I planned an overnight in Lancaster, PA to take our daughters ( ages 5 and 3 ) to an amusement park. The original booking was for August, but we had to re-schedule to this past weekend. When we re-booked, the suite we had in our original reservation was no longer available ( due to a wedding party )and we took a regular double room instead. The hotel is less than 10 minutes away from the strip of outlet stores and restaraunts of Lancaster as well as the dutch wonderland amusement park that we went to, so very convenient after a two hour drive from Md.
Parking and check in was smooth, but there was no door staff or attendant should you have mutliple bags or need any assistance. The room we were given was a fairly large double room facing the rear grounds of the property. There was a small play area for kids in the grassy area behind the rooms facing this side, which was a nice amenity. So, back to the room. While the hotel appears to have some sense of kid-friendliness to it based on the playgorund, the room was without a microwave or refrigerator. This seemed odd considering we saw mutliple families with small children and/or babies. The website also mentioned that there had been a recent renovation at the property, but our room had a very old style wall unit air conditioner ( that was incredibly loud ) and a toilet that flushed and gurgled by itself throughout the evening. There was some sign of a new paint job, but beyond that the furnishings and carpeting were far from new. ( this was room #103, should the hotel read this )
The hotel has what I believe to be a very good restaraunt based on the menu. However, and perhaps because of the wedding party that evening, they seemed to be completely overwhelmed. I am guessing some of thier staff was working the reception, but it is just a guess. We had a good waitress and I could see that there was some frustration happening between her and the kitchen/cooking staff that evening. We waited over 45 minutes just to get our kids' orders of one hot dog and a hamburger w/fries. The entrees for my wife and I came about 15 minutes later....so now its an hour wait before eating dinner after a long day and drive. The mgmt appeared to be a 20 year old kid ( who was helping serve) and the bar tender was also pitching in taking dinner orders...and thus slacking on making the drinks orders for the wait staff. We came in just before the dinner rush and upon leaving looked into the doomed faces of the diners "waiting to wait" to eat after us. I suspect this was not a typical evening experience at their restaraunt, but based on the wait, it would have been prudent to offer something off the bill from someone in authority, but perhaps the problem was that there appeared to be no one in charge. I told my wife I would give the Netherlands another shot, but it is a good lesson that appearances can be deceiving and to not let a pretty website woo you into a mediocre experience.

• Liked — Location and exterior appearance, views, kid playground
  • Disliked — noisy old room and understaffed restaraunt
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Liphook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

This was the last stop on a six-stage tour from the UK. We were delighted to find a hotel located away from a main road. The superior room was a very good size, although the queen size beds were a little too small for our children (9 and 11) to share.

Overall we thought the hotel was excellent value, in a setting with unbeatable views across Amish farmland. Just a few points are worth noting:

- Tour operators use the hotel for coach tours. There is plenty of room for everyone, but you risk having coaches running their engines beneath your window (and anywhere else on the site).

- There are no insect screens on the windows - you are forced to close them and use your air conditioner, which is noisy at night.

- We agree with another reviewer that the reception could be better organised. On arrival we waited a good half hour just to find out whether or not our room was ready (surely not that difficult?). Check out was a similar experience, queuing whilst the clerk established which room had been alllocated to a wedding party.

- The pool was very cold (is it refrigerated?). That said, it was very welcome on a scorching hot day and the staff very kindly let us use it after we had checked out.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!