“THON” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Country Club Lane, State College, PA 16803   |
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in State College
“THON”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The staff was friendly and our room was clean. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Toftrees, Director of Sales at Toftrees Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Toftrees. We look forward to your return stay with us.

Laura Phillippi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

We stayed in 117 on ground floor. It was around 30 degrees outside when we checked in but the room was about 80 degrees and the heat was not on when we arrived. It was uncomfortably warm most of the night but did finally cool down. Room was ok, outdated by most standards but nothing terrible. Bed and pillows were terrible, far too soft (probably from over use as them seemed old). Staff seemed friendly through our limited ineraction. Price was great; $79/night. I would put this hotel towards the bottom of the list but would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate any feedback we get so that we can work to improve our resort. We have been upgrading our guestrooms with addtional amenities thoughtout the last couple of months. We hope that we will see you again at our resort and you can see the new features.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Toftrees on October 29. We were up for a PSU football game and couldn't get anything closer to campus. The grounds were pretty and the staff is nice but the hotel is a bit dated. We were in the "Royal Suite"- comfy King sized bed and huge bathtub. We were given vouchers for 2 free breakfast. I would stay there again if I couldn't get the Days Inn in town. There is a nice steakhouse and bar at the hotel but we took a 10-15 min cab ride into town for dinner. The price was comparable to other hotels in state college for a football weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you sharing your experience at Toftrees. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are continuously working on improving our resort and have made some upgrades. We added new flat screen TV's to the guestrooms and are now working on new carpeting in the hallways.

The Down Under Steakhouse is a great restaurant to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner in. It also has a lounge with a full service bar.

I hope we see you back this football season.

Thanks,
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed for one night. The room is dated, but clean and comfortable. The steakhouse is a good choice for food, and is not at all overpriced. You can call it a resort since it has tennis and golf on property, but that's about it. It's clean, quite, and safe.

Room Tip: If it's cold, stay off of the ground floor. It's cold down here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I stayed one night for a concert during Parents Weekend. I asked for a quiet room - which I got and was very pleased with my stay.

I did not have time to explore much, but the grounds I saw were beautiful. The pool was closed (October weather). People were still golfing though!

Our room - because I requested quiet - was one floor up behind the check in desk. There was no elevator I saw, but that was no problem. It was only one floor up. The only downfall I had all weekend was the stairwell did have a strong musty odor - but we were in them for what, one minute? Not enough to trash the place in my review.

The halls were clean. The room was very clean and roomy. The beds were a little hard. I slept great (it was a late night after the concert). My adult daughter didn't sleep as well due to the hard bed. Our other friend did not sleep as well either - but her problem was the pillow. She did not bring her own (I always do) and she was not used to them. She had no problem with the bed.

Breakfast: We received two passes to breakfast - kind of stupid since we had 3 people. So the third person had to pay $10 for the breakfast. (Now that I think about it I just should have asked for a third and see what happened - but I was distracted with excitement at check in and didn't think of it then. After all we had third row seats to Zac Brown concert!) The breakfast was very good. Good coffee. They have wait staff that bring you your drinks - but watch out - they charge you for drinks. They have an omlette station where you get an omlette made right in front of you - an it doesn't take long at all. then the normal stuff: french toast, homefries, sausage, bacon, fruits, toast, danish etc. All you can eat. Good food. We were very pleased. They do have a few thermoses of self serve coffee on the bar area that you can help yourself and take it to your room or - like I did - to the car for our ride home.

Lobby: It is very pretty. They had cookies and I think coffee and lemonade out. The staff at the desk are VERY helpful. They explain the basics well and are right there with any questions you have. They are extremely pleasant and I like that.

Toftrees is extremely close to the Stadium for football games. I did hear people asking for the shuttle - so I believe they have a shuttle to the game. I don't recommend driving to the game. We were leaving when everyone else was going towards the stadium and it appeared to have very large traffic jams. Not too many roads into the stadium area. For our concert we absolutely did not have any problem - the crowd was less numerous than for a football game. It's only about an 11 minute drive.

State College is in very beautiful and hilly country. A lovely drive.

I was pleased and would stay there again.

The thing you have to remember and maybe this is why there are some bad reviews. ALL of the hotels in the area - because Penn State football is SO HUGE - they ALL hike up the prices during the events. They have "Event Pricing". This is not just Toftrees, but ALL of the hotels. What are you going to do to stay close though? I did find a cheaper hotel ($120 a night - but it was 1 1/2 hours away from the stadium!) So expect this and you will be just fine. Of course, I did look last minute. I am sure that the father out you book your rooms, the better deals you can get.

So spend a little $ and stay close. It's worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Lovely, quiet and calm area, but an entirely disappointing and dated hotel. This place desperately needs a serious overhaul. The grounds and the lobby, though nicely kept and clean can't hide the fact that this hotel is long past its prime and stinks of budget. This is no resort, my friend. One does not come here for an escape or to relax.

Toftrees hotel has three floors, and no elevator to speak of. Hallways reeking of cologne or some type of heavy air deodorizer that was so strong and heavy and very off-putting. The whole place and interior is very dated, and the decor, especially the bathrooms are extremely budget and strange. Our room on the 3rd floor, had a large bleach suspect stain directly outside the door to our room.

Bizarre design elements - rooms on the third floor offered their only closet to be located inside the bathrooms, which was a very bizarre design element; no luggage space, and virtually no space to hang towels, dated big box televisions also, are always a tell-tale sign that the hotel needs a makeover.

On-site restaurant was also very sub-par and the breakfast buffet (even with an omelet station) - left much to be desired. If you stay here, skip this place and head to American Ale house just down the street.

Also, an interior decor lesson to all - never, ever tile an interior room, specifically, bathrooms with large square shiny BLACK tile. It's mental hospital meets dive bar bathroom. Awful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Very nice golf course, very friendly staff. Hotel is clean, decor is a bit tired. Bulging spot on the ceiling from a prior water leak. Breakfast buffet was OK, not great. Location is great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Toftrees Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!