“No Windows” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center

You added Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1450 South Atherton Street, US Rt 322 & PA Rt 26, State College, PA 16801   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
“No Windows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is definitely a first. I am in a suite and there are no windows, not in the living room, not in either bathroom and not in the bedroom, is that even legal? Other than that everything is fine, but seriously what architect dreamed up this nightmare? bizarre.

Room Tip: Phone in advance and insist on a room with windows
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
I am sorry that our suite did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. While it may seem odd, the reason that we do not have windows in that room is that when we added our conference center, there were firecodes that prevented us from putting windows in those rooms. I hope that the room we moved you to was acceptable, and we look forward to your return stay.

Director of Sales
814-321-9114

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The hotel is a cross between an old hotel and one that has recently been remodeled. It has an old feel and can be little musty because they need to upgrade their carpets but overall, it's very comfortable. At first I was a little concerned because it's a little old, but when I got into my room it felt a lot better. The rooms are upgraded to reflect a modernized room. For instance, the beds are very comfortable. The pillows are fluffy. The bathrooms have been upgraded and are very clean. Also, the rooms contain a nice sized refrigerator and microwave. They also have flat screen televisions. If you are in town for business, I would caution you unless you don't mind using the nicely equipped business center. i'm here now and can't get on the Internet. I'm trying to do schoolwork but keep getting knocked off the Internet. The hotel gives you value for your money definitely but if you enjoy first class things, it's probably not for you. I fly coach and it's just fine with me.

Room Tip: I would take the pool area in consideration if you want solace, that's not where you want to be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you taking note of all of the recent improvements that we have made at the facility including the recent guest room upgrades. We have also been upgrading our carpeting in 88 percent of the guest rooms, but still have about 25 rooms to complete. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to your return stay with us.

Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed here for THON weekend. Our room was by the pool and we could not get the temperature of our room below 73 degrees. This was very uncomfortable. There is a restaurant onsite but it's just ok. We are use to staying at more updated hotels in State College with free breakfast and coffee. I got this through Hotwire for a decent price but I wouldn't choose this hotel unless it was all there was left. The pool would be great if you had kids....
The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: I would ask for one that's not in the pool area because that was a main reason the rooms were so...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
I am sorry that you had an issue with the air conditioning in your guest room. There are certain times of the year when the temp. outside gets too cool for us to turn on our air conditioning, and I can only summize that this was the case. We have invested over $11 million dollars in the hotel over the last decade and also just completed a new restaurant and lounge expansion. We do offer a free hot weekday breakfast buffet, but due to the our large hotel inventory we could not accommodate everyone on the weekends when our occupancy reaches over 1000 guests at times. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel has a great service staff and good rooms. They aren't state of the art but you are getting well worth their average 89.00 room rate. The pool side rooms do have a chlorine smell, but then again its by a pool! obviously it will smell like a pool in that area! The front desk staff is very nice and it is easy to call the front desk to report problems. If you're looking for a nice place to stay in State College I would definitely recommend the Ramada.

Room Tip: If you don't like how the pool smells then ask to not be near the pool. They have interior rooms...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Tripadvisor. I appreciate that you mentioned the great price value that our hotel has to offer. On behalf of our entire staff, we look forward to your return.

Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We spent 1 night here while visiting Penn State. While it initially seemed like a 1970s motorcourt (albeit a very large one), especially with the rooms opening to the outside, we were very pleasantly surprised once we entered our room. Unlike another poster, we did not have any mold-smells. The room was clean, the bathroom totally modernized/updated, flatscreen tv, and a microwave & fridge. We actually ordered room service & got decent club sandwiches, which is always handy. We didn't use the indoor pool, business center or other facilities, so no comment on those. We'd totally stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Over the past several years, we have worked very hard to make ensure that our guests have a postitve experience. Your comments will be passed along to our staff as they will also appreciate your comments. Please stop back and visit us again soon, as we have just expanded our restaurant and lounge.

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I made my reservation after looking this property up online. The pics are always better than what you really get!

Wasnt aware that the hotel had outside entrances to the rooms.

The room was very drafty and trying to get the temperature regulated was impossible. One of the WORST nights ever in a hotel! The heat would get up to 90 and then you would have to shut it off. Once the room cooled to around 55 then you would have to get up and turn the heat back on.

The tub didnt drain properly. The coffee maker didnt work. And - the little bottles of shampoo and conditioner were already half empty! Why wouldnt they give each guest new ones???

The bed was very comfy and the room did have a refrigerator and microwave.

I would NOT stay here again. This hotel is VERY dated and worn out. It needs a complete overhaul!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
I am sorry that you had a less than desirable experience at our hotel. We work diligently to provide the best experience, but unfortunately in this case, it seems that we fell short. The hotel does offer both interior and exterior entrance rooms, and it is listed on our website. Without knowing specifically what room or your last name, I cannot comment on the incidents you described. I hope you will reconsider your intent to return at contact me at 814-238-3001.

ct
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Attended sporting event at Penn State-motel is run down. "business center" on 2nd floor isnt clearly marked when you get off the elevator nor are the rooms which run down endless corridors. it would be helpful to have all the rooms down a corridor listed not just the first 20 because you have to walk outside to walk these corridors. Strips near elevator and rooms in general run down. No suitcase valet to hold suitcase. Bathroom is very small with only one hook to hang clothes, but disconcerting to have clean towels placed for us on top of toilet tank. On the weekend the breakfast buffet is $7 (free during weekdays), but this type of buffet is usually free at other chain (Best W/Hampton Inn). Positive attributes are proximity to PSU, very pleasant staff especially given volume of guests and what they have to work with, and free internet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello, I want to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your review and comments have reminded myself of how important guest satisfaction is, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I apologize for your less than impressive stay, I am however glad that you found the staff pleasant. We have done some recent renovations to our property and will continue in the new year. As far as the guest rooms not being marked, all of our 284 guest rooms are marked with a room number on the exterior door, as this is a standard at any hotel.

I am proud to announce we are in the middle of upgrading our internet service, and most importantly it remains free of charge to our guests. We'd love to welcome you back again soon, do let me know if you book your next stay.

Best Regards,
Jennifer Brooks-Stahl

Been to Ramada State College Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!