“A nice alternative when visiting Penn State” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Fitness Center Renovation
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in State College
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“A nice alternative when visiting Penn State”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Nittany Lion Inn is wonderfully located in the heart of Penn State University. Clean rooms. Very attentive staff. Free internet. Good food, but the service in the restaurant was a little slow. The building is old, but nicely renovated. l have no difficulty in recommending the Inn for a stay in Happy Valley.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

The Nittany Lion Inn is a beautiful old building with an upscale ambiance, clean and ample rooms and cordial (But a little stiff) service. There are also conference facilties for a medium sized gathering. I showed up in shorts and a short sleeved shirt (Comfortable for my lenghty drive) and noticed that the attitude at the front desk became more courtly only after I changed into my business suit for a presentation I was doing at the conference. I don't mean they were impolite to this little middle-aged guest in shorts, but they were just more polite to this cleaned up gentleman in the suit. Some places (Like many Ritz Carlton's and even the better Marriot's) treat you like a gem regardless of how you are dressed. This is a small quibble over a subtle difference, so it should not stop you from staying at this venerable iconic hotel. The town of State College is fine, with a long strip of good shops, bars and restaurants facing the front of the University. There are great athletic venues, of course, with Penn State football as king. It's also fun to see the young college crowd walking around and at play and you might even get a sighting of a slightly older fellow like Joe Pa patrolling the University grounds. There are a number of really good state parks and preserves outside of town and these are worth a hike as well.

Room Tip: The rooms are all generally pretty good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here (along with several friends) for the Art Festival Weekend at Penn State.

I will say that from a service point of view this was an excellent experience, but the rooms are average at best. For the money we spent I feel that it was overprice. The hotel is a beautiful hotel and is located in a prime location for those visiting the campus (being ON the campus), so it fulfilled all our requirements there.

The room was fairly clean but was somewhat cramped and small. The AC worked well but it was rather loud.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ventnor City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend my nephew's wedding. The reception itself was in the hotel, but there were other events that were not. The front desk staff were very helpful in giving us maps and walking directions, as well as arranging rides for us in a hotel shuttle when appropriate. They also gave me good driving directions when I needed to find a certain type of store. The Inn is certainly in a very convenient location for getting to places around the university's campus. We easily walked to places like the Arboretum (where the wedding ceremony was held), the Creamery, a must-see or should I say must-eat ice cream place on campus, and another hotel (the Atherton) where the rehearsal dinner was held.

We were there during Hurricane Irene, and where I live (Atlantic City, NJ) was under a mandatory evacuation. We knew we couldn't head directly home on our scheduled check-out day and we wanted time to assess our options. Two very friendly clerks at the front desk explained my options and offered me a late check-out without any fuss.

The property is much larger than it appears from the front entrance. It can be easy to get lost in what seems like a tangled web of hallways. There were only three floors of guest rooms, and the elevators were very efficient.

One negative I have to mention is the lack of Bell Services. At such a nice property at in its price range, I was actually SHOCKED that they didn't have staff readily available to help us with our bags. I don't expect such service at run-of-the-mill properties, but I was truly surprised that they didn't offer Bell Services; they had men opening the front doors and offering luggage carts, but when I asked if we could have help with our many small bags it seemed as if they had only rarely heard such a request. However, this is really a very minor complaint and I would not at all let it deter me from staying here again and again if I return to the area.

We stayed in a suite, which was quite roomy and homey. My mother stayed in a regular room that seemed very small. The rooms and the common areas were perfectly clean.

The thing that most impressed me was room service. I'm accustommed to a room service menu with overly-inflated prices (that is, menu prices higher than comparable restaurant prices) AND an 18% or 20% service charge on top of that, PLUS a tip for the server. Well, room service here was nothing like that. We ordered breakfast on a Saturday morning. The prices were normal ... they were exactly what you would expect from a normal restaurant's menu (for example, a good and loaded omelet for something like $7.95 that included potatoes and toast, a side order of bacon for something like $2.25). So the menu was varied and at a competitive price, AND there was no additional service charge. They added a mandatory 18% as a gratuity for the server, but there was no serivce charge over and above that. As I was about to sign for the delivery, I confirmed with the friendly young server that he actually received all 18%; I asked, because if it had been a service charge that goes to the hotel or if he had to pay a portion of it back to the hotel, I would've tipped him over and above the mandatory amount I was already charged. The breakfast was fantastic, by the way ... there were four of us and we each ordered something different and each really enjoyed. They even made sure my daughter's tall glass of milk was delivered ice cold!

The facilities for the wedding's cocktail hour and reception were top-notch. The food was acceptable but not great, in my opinion. Service was excellent. We had the buffet breakfast in the Dining Room on Sunday morning. The food selection was somewhat limited (I much more enjoyed the room service menu) but the quality and taste of the food was excellent.

I'd definitely recommend this charming hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed here while visiting the campus with our daughter. A very elegant place (almost snooty?) I never touched a handle on the lobby doors in 3 days as the ever present door men were quick to act, with pleasant smiles. The front desk was quick and efficient and the dining room hostesses were pleasant and accommodating. Nice touches, like a basket of apples, washed & polished every morning, was at the main door. All common areas were spotless. This was the first time I ever saw a hotel have a maintenance crew replacing one square foot of carpet due to a stain and making sure the pattern matched perfectly.
The room was clean & pleasant. No outside noise intruded. Beds were comfy. Internet service was adequate, but a bit slow - made Netflix "jerky". Parking is limited and I always had to use the overflow parking in the nearby multi-level garage. Grounds are attractive and well kept. While here be sure to try "grilled stickies".

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Milford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011 via mobile

My recent stay here after a bridal shower (good food!) was very nice. My room was large and nicely decorated although the building itself was a bit of a maze. The inn has nice courtyards and common areas for lounging. If you want to see the PSU campus or downtown the location can't be better! We took advantage of the free shuttle and had a great stay!!

• Stayed August 2011
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed overnight here for a wedding. Rooms were nice and clean. Hotel staff was great also. Main problem was with a bartender named Roy at the Whiskers restaurant/bar in the hotel. A few of my friends and I came out of the wedding to the bar and one friend was a little boisterous because her close friend just got hitched. It was about 11 and there was a group of 3 remaining at the restaurant. A woman from that group told my friend to quiet down and my friend tried to explain that we were just celebrating our friend's marriage. At which point, Roy the bartender decided to yell at my friend. We might have been a little loud, but to yell at a guest of the hotel and bar was totally uncalled for. He could have just as easily asked her nicely to quiet down, but this guy wants to be an animal and yell at a woman who is half his size. They totally lost a few hundred dollars worth of business that night and I think the whole place will lose a lot more thanks to a jerk who has no customer service skills. Other than that, the rest of the staff was great. I won't be coming back here again though. If you come, avoid the bar/restaurant.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Nittany Lion Inn? Share your experiences!