“No security!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
A TripAdvisor Member
“No security!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2002

I stay at hotels very frequently with work, and have stayed at this hotel many times on trips to PSU for both work and play. During the weekend of 11/15/02, I (female) had a room under MY name. I returned to my room after a night on the town to find a MAN in my room. As it turned out, the front desk gave a key to a man who did not even know my last name, the last name of the person in whose name the room was in! The lack of security in that hotel is atrocious. I will never stay there again, and have told this story to so many people in the past 5 days since my return that they'll be lucky to get any customers in the future. DON'T STAY THERE, FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2001

In fifteen trips to the Atherton Hotel over the past ten years, I have always been pleased with the service, the quality of the accommodations and the willingness of the staff to resolve challenges.
Last weekend's experience changed my opinion permanently. Here's the scenario:
1. Football Weekend so all hotels booked fairly solidly
2. Reservations made one year ago for one suite and one regular room, connecting, non-smoking.
3. When reservations were made, only one combination of rooms fit our criteria, so we specifically reserved the room combination.
4. Credit card was charged for the room at the time of reservation (one year in advance).
5. Upon arrival, the requested rooms were not available. Substituted rooms were on the smoking floor and smelled of smoke. The adjoining standard room also smelled of urine. This was not the level of accommodation I expected for what I paid (over $1,000 a year in advance).
6. When we tried to resolve the issue at the front desk, the clerk was friendly and courteous and took the blame for the reservation error. But, at the time, there was no way to get the rooms we requested and no available suite on a non-smoking floor.
7. Three different people in my party tried to secure some sort of accommodation or upgrade and the management simply refused to help.
8. The reservations manager sat in the office issuing edicts to the clerk, but refused to come to the desk to discuss our options.
9. In order to get this resolved, we would have to get ugly and make a scene. We are not going to ruin our weekend that way. I will simply take my business elsewhere and encourage everyone I know to do likewise. Hence this review.

The management of the Atherton has changed, the quality of the accommodations have deteriorated and it is no longer worth the price that is levied for a stay at the hotel.

Been to The Atherton Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Atherton Hotel

Address: 125 South Atherton Street, State College, PA 16801
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > State College
#12 Family Hotel in State College
#15 Business Hotel in State College
Hotel Class:3 star — The Atherton Hotel 3*
150 room full service hotel in the heart of downtown State College, PA. One block from Penn State University. Comfortable, relaxed atmosphere, restaurant, bar, room service, excellent location. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your The Atherton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Atherton Hotel State College

If you own or manage The Atherton Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.