“Rude and incompetent management” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in State College
A TripAdvisor Member
“Rude and incompetent management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2004

I have been staying at the Atherton for about 12 years, but have encountered a continual degradation in service, cleanliness, and overall management of the hotel. The last three stays, rooms have been horribly cleaned and hotel management has systematically given me a "so what" attitude. I actually found someone's used underware in the room and the toilet had not been cleaned at all. Also, I needed to cancel a room but was an hour after the 24 hour deadline and was charged full price. Again, after contacting management, I was treated rudely and made to feel as if I was bothering them. They never bothered responding to e-mail or returning phone messages. I can't imagine what kind of business they think they're in - it's certainly not the "hospitality" business.

I was also the victim of the "bait and switch" routine they seem to pull with rooms. They charged my credit card months in advance for a non-smoking room and then gave me a smelly smoking room and were disinterested in considering a switch. I will never stay at the Atherton Hotel again and warn everyone else about the incompetent and rude management I have encountered.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2004

You can't really beat the location -- you can walk almost anywhere you'd want to go, save perhaps the Bryce Jordan Center and Beaver Stadium. The hotel itself could use a little more regular maintenance.
There were water stains on the ceiling and wallpaper was starting to separate itself from the wall. Still, for the price we paid, this hotel was well worth it.

Chesapeake, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2003

Common areas had badly worn, frayed carpet and needed to be cleaned or vacuumed. My non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes, my sheets had stains and crunchy substances on them (I can't adequately describe the state of the mattress pad that was revealed when the sheets were changed), and there was scum and hair in the bathtub. All of the staff were friendly and the location was convenient, but this was a dingy, dirty hotel.

, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2005
The Atherton underwent a multi million dollar renovation of all hotel rooms and common areas in the past 12 months. It looks fabulous and I invite you to come and see the wonderful changes we have made.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2003

I travel quite frequently and I always look forward to my refreshing stop in State College and Penn State University. On my last visit I found the coolest hotel nestled at the end of town. The Atherton Hotel reminds you of one of the boutique hotels' you'd find in San Francisco.
It has a European feel to it and the service is impeccable. The personalized service I received there was comparable to some of the finest hotels in the country. After a week there I truly felt that I was a part of the Atherton family. The restaurant was fabulous. I had the best steak I've ever eaten there. Keep up the good work!!! I highly recommend this great full service hotel in a world full of budget and limited service places that don't give a d--.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2003

I have only had great experiences at The Atherton and have been staying there for several years. It's a great location and the service is very friendly. The food is GREAT. My family and I enjoy weekends there as well as some business travel. I'm excited about their renovations which look like they will be really beautiful.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2003

In past years, everytime I went to State College I would stay at the Atherton. I've been there twice in the past month and would not go back again. There were plumbing problems both times I went and appearances are shabby. Not sure what's changed, but it was not for the good. Unfortunate, since the location is great.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2002

I stay at hotels very frequently with work, and have stayed at this hotel many times on trips to PSU for both work and play. During the weekend of 11/15/02, I (female) had a room under MY name. I returned to my room after a night on the town to find a MAN in my room. As it turned out, the front desk gave a key to a man who did not even know my last name, the last name of the person in whose name the room was in! The lack of security in that hotel is atrocious. I will never stay there again, and have told this story to so many people in the past 5 days since my return that they'll be lucky to get any customers in the future. DON'T STAY THERE, FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Been to The Atherton Hotel? Share your experiences!