“Not what I expected but not awful” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in State College
Carlsbad, California
“Not what I expected but not awful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I grew up in Philipsburg and lived in State College for 10 years. I had always thought of The Atherton as State College's premier luxury hotel. While not being bad, it's far from what I would ever call a luxury hotel. The room's actually seemed a bit on the "cheap" side, with old wallpaper peeling, a very cheaply constructed fiberglass bathtub/shower, and just an overall feeling of a hotel that isn't being as well maintained as it could be.

So was it a bad experience? No, not whatsoever. My room was nevertheless quiet and reasonably clean. The mattresses felt a bit cheap, but I managed to get a decent night's sleep. Parking was an additional $7 per night. No breakfast included but I wanted to visit my favorite breakfast spot, the Waffle Shop, in the morning anyway.

Best thing about this hotel.... Location!! You can't beat it for being able to walk out of the door and walk around downtown. So I advise the owners to update sooner than later before savvy business people recognize and capitalize on the lack of a luxury hotel in downtown State College. It's only a matter of time.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a location which will enable you to walk throughout downtown State College...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Sim Z,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate every bit of guest insight and feedback and consider it one of our greatest tools in recognizing opportunities to improve and retrain where necessary. Although I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations in some aspects of your stay, I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the location and the chance to eat at some of your favorite downtown restaurants. We hope that you will consider The Atherton in future visits home to visit family and friends in the State College and Philipsburg areas. If there is anything I can do to try to earn back your business in the future, I invite you to contact me on my direct line 814-231-2100 ext 118. We would love to have you stay with us in the future. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I always try to stay at the Atherton whenever I go to Penn State to see my son who is a student there. The hotel has old world charm and is super convenient to downtown and campus. The rooms are always spotlessly clean and well appointed. The staff at the hotel always display a customer first attitude. I have already set a reminder in my phone for a year from now to try a get a room there for graduation. A+

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your comments. We are always very pleased to have parents of Penn State students as our guests and I am so glad to know that you enjoy the hotel's downtown location close to campus. If I can be of any assistance to you in future reservations, and for graduation, I hope you will feel welcome to call upon me personally. Your patronage of our hotel is truly valued and it will be my pleasure to pass along your compliments to our housekeeping staff.
Andover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Can't beat the location unless you go to the Days Inn. Beds were a little uncomfortable for my taste. Overall, could use some updating, especially the bathrooms. Would still rather stay here than stay at a newer hotel further from downtown.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Justin S.,
Thank you for your time in sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at The Atherton. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the downtown location and the hotel overall and hope you will come back and see some of the many updates we have in the works. Please feel welcome to call upon me if I can ever be of assistance to you in the future and again thank you for your business.
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Very clean with a very attentive staff. I love the location and I will stay here again and again. I come into town for business and The Atherton meets all of my requirements. I will come back on a weekend with my wife and I will stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your time in sharing your comments. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the hotel.
Alliance, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I recently organized an alumni weekend and meeting in State College, and Jessica Cox and her staff at the Atherton were my first choice. She had helped with several events for me in the past, and we certainly were not disappointed. Jessica and I were able to get everything scheduled, including a room block, meeting space, and breakfast with minimal emails. The morning of our meeting, the staff was friendly and helpful, and our room setup was absolutely perfect.

We have never had a bad experience here, and I will do everything that I can to continue to work with Jessica and her staff. I would highly recommend booking a group event here. The location and service can't be beat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Phil R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at our hotel and for your positive remarks and compliments about the service provided by Jessica in our Sales Department. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, the location, and planning your meetings. As a small independent business we are particularly appreciative of the many choices of hotels our guests have, and your repeat choice of The Atherton. Your insight and business are valued. Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in great location for us, the staff was really friendly.
The only thing was that the bathroom was a little dirty and at night we wanted to go down to the bar to get a drink and there was an activity going on that was extremely loud to the point we had to leave the hotel to a different bar.
But overall the hotel was great for the price. Will recommender!

• Stayed April 2014
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel. Your business is truly appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Frankly, you really want this hotel to be fantastic. The lobby (one flight up from street level) is fantastic. The rooms, however, are a bit lacking. The size is nice. I faced the side of the building that looked onto the parking and trash area of the restaurants on the next street. It was a little noisy with the college kids running around back there and the trash pickup in the morning. The beds were not the best (one of them has seen better days and should be changed out immediately). Pillows alternated between fluffy and harder so I had a good mix. Kuerig coffee machine was nice. The room had a very worn feeling to it, as did the hallways. There were blinds on the windows but no black out drapes, or drapes of any kind that could be pulled in front to keep out the light in the morning. The bathroom was okay but the shower/tub was difficult. I'm only 5'8" tall and i was taller than the shower head. Also, because it had been refitted, the step out of the shower is a bit farther to the floor than you anticipate. Elevators were very slow. Location is fine and I was able to walk everywhere. I would stay here again if the price was right but nothing encouraged me to come back so I might try another hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on your stay. Your feedback is important to us.

Been to The Atherton Hotel? Share your experiences!