“The Atherton Has Mysterious Beauty” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Topeka, Kansas
“The Atherton Has Mysterious Beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Atherton has mysterious beauty,
the lights bright, employees fruity.
The classy charm this place does hold,
Are thine bowties made of gold?

A call for room service- ring a ding ding
The ponies do gallop, the birds do sing!
And the waitress's apron, tied so tight
What majestic happenings await me tonight?

Ah yes! The Atherton has mysterious beauty!
Ah! Yes! Mysterious beauty The Atherton has!

If I had three wishes, why lovely they'd be:
Rack of lamb, merlot, and a spot of gourmets tea.
Rubies, emeralds, topaz that gleams
None of these shine like the hotel of my dreams.

Athy. Athy! My heart pours onto the flood
Your beauty overcomes my soul like waves on a shore.
The stillness, the calm, the way your greatness possesses me,
The Atherton's beauty is life's unsolved mystery.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your poetic review and thoughtful insight! We truly enjoyed knowing that you found reason to rhyme because of your stay with us. If I can ever be of service to you during future visits to the area, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me at 814-231-2100 ext. 118.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Export, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a room reserved for two nights for graduation 2012 one year in advance. I personally went to the hotel the day reservations for that weekend were made available to the public and got confirmation I was first in line. I paid upfront and the Atherton held that money until cancelling my reservation the night before while refusing to tell us why it was our room that was given away. They attempted to move us down the street to a lesser hotel and into a smoking room. When we said this was unacceptable they were unaccommodating in every sense of the word and management would not speak with us. I went to the Atherton three times each of which I was told I would be able to talk to the manger and each time they were not there. Everyone I spoke to said that they could not help me I had to talk to management, who as noted made themselves unavailable. They could not even refund my money for the room that they were no longer providing. Finally after much arguing and threat of legal action they were authorized to refund my money and gave us a voucher for a one night stay to be used later that year but did nothing for us that weekend. I still never was given the chance to speak with management.
In a previous review on this site written about this ordeal, management responded that they paid for our stay and helped take good care of us that weekend. I am writing this in response as that was not the case whatsoever. The Atherton paid for nothing that weekend and were completely unaccommodating after putting us in that situation. I still would like my chance to speak with management.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
We sincerely apologize for the overbooking and understand your disappointment and upset. Although this was a first for our hotel, we most sincerely attempted to provide compensation to you by obtaining alternate lodging within 3 miles on this otherwise sold out weekend at our cost, by refunding any difference in cost to you promptly, and by providing complimentary dinner and complimentary stay for an additional weekend on another date.
Morrisville, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have stayed here several times in the last few years. Our first experience was great and you felt like you were in a 5 star hotel. This last time it felt more like a 3 star hotel at best. Location is great as you can walk anywhere on campus and to the sporting events. The lobby is beautiful. BUT the rooms are another story. Our first room's bathroom was dirty so we had to move to another one. They upgraded us to a suite. When we first walked in, we were very impressed with how large it was. But the room had old carpets, stained furniture, mold in the shower, uncomfortable beds and pillows and on top of that, our toilet ran all night. When we complained about it, the front desk told us they were backed up and couldn't come up until after midnight or the next morning. It's really a shame they can't get their act together because this could be a very lovely hotel but then again, because of the location, I don't think they have to worry about people staying there so maybe that's not a priority.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, De
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If Real Estate goes by, "Location, Location, Location", then with hotels it is "Location, Location, Accommodations". First of all, I stayed in the Atherton about a week ago as an attendant of a State College professional activity that would require me to walk to campus regularly. The location of the Atherton could not be BETTER for that! I could basically walk anywhere on campus from it. Just left the car in the garage...it was great! If you do need to drive anyplace, the hotel is on the Main Drag, and you can take it easily to the nearest grocery store or local brewery (Try Otto's!) or Beaver Stadium . (no comment about the statue) So, in terms of location... you cannot beat this place!
In terms of ACCOMMODATIONS, well, that is a little different. Lobby is nice-very pollished.. photos on website make the place look glam. But once you really get into your room... hmmm....not so much. The rooms are pretty large, which is nice. Beds are comfy, but I have had better. Free wifi nice touch. Thanks for that! But rooms should be equippped with at least a fridge, especially in light of the fact that many guests might want to visit to see a football game and need hydrational storage. At the very least, more rooms should be offered with microwaves and fridges- even Hampton Inn has those! The A/C-Ventilation system is quite old. It was nice to be able to control it myself, but it was REALLY NOISY and would rattle if you were not careful.
They change the bed sheets every 2 or 3 days, to save energy , so do not expect new sheets each day. Some people are into that. (I stayed for a week)
Desk staff is REALLY NICE. I spoke with both and they were friendly and helpful. I am certain they are getting asked often about the State of State College given the recent Paterno/Sandusky Issues, and the girl was fine with me asking without acting tired of it or annoyed.
Fitness room was standard. Not bad. They also give complimentary passes to near by gyms too. THANKS for that! Nice touch!
Restaurant was typical dark wooded hotel bar-like restaurant. Not bad. Pool table if you are interested in that.

Overall, the place had its perks (location!) but it is like seeing a hot dog cart parked in front of The Tavern on the Green. It might be something to eat, but don't expect a ZAGAT rating.

Room Tip: Request a fridge in your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
We are extremely happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, and want to make sure that some of the items you questioned are correctly stated so you may better enjoy your future visits! Hotel booking fee of $2.00 is clearly stated in writing at time of reservation by emailed confirmation. It is repeated on the registration card as well as the receipt. Refrigerators and microwaves are available in any room by calling the front desk and they are standard in all of our suites. Housekeeping changes sheets daily and that policy is clearly stated on a card in each guest room. We are so glad to know you liked the fitness room on-site. We also offer complimentary use of Penn State's swimming facilities, Lion Heart Fitness, and The Athletic Club to each guest of the hotel. I was sorry to hear that your air conditioner was too loud for your liking and hope you will know for the future that we are happy to move a guest or upgrade if possible if you are not entirely satisfied with your room. Our location is best in State College and we truly appreciate your patronage of the hotel and hope you will visit us again soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked two rooms on Priceline for a one night stay on our road trip between Ohio and New Jersey. We got this hotel and off we went.
Arrival: We arrived at about 10pm and found the underground parking garage. There were parking spaces still available and the area seemed ok. We found a vehicle parked in front of the elevator in the garage, odd since there were parking spaces available. We found our way to the check-in area...yes a little dated but nice enough. The check-in agent was nice and quickly got our rooms...maybe a little too quick. He didn't tell us about the parking fee and the booking fee(?) or about the wireless internet.
Room: The room had two double beds...short beds, I'm 6'1 and my feet hung off the bed all night. There was a desk, flat screen tv and the room was a good size. The bathroom was good enough but as usual with most hotels the shower water pressure was lacking. My brother who was in the other identical room had a little issue with the headboard of his bed. While he was attempting to plug in his CPAP machine in the plug in behind one of the beds the heavy headboard fell off the wall and almost hit him. After looking at the headboard it appeared that it was just glued on the wall, no screws...not very safe.
Overall the hotel was ok for a one night stay. I would still like the hotel to explain the "booking fee". Also they should be upfront about additional charges, even minor, when you check-in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for your review. So that you can better enjoy your next stay with us we would like to clear up some items and be sure they are stated accurately in response. The hotel charges a $2.00 booking fee that is clearly stated in writing on emailed confirmations, Priceline information sent with confirmation, during check-in on the registration card, and on the guest receipt. Please accept our apology if this was not clear. The booking fee is charged to off-set online reservation costs. Guest rooms contain all standard sized beds and we do not have any shorter than standard size and the hotel offers complimentary Wifi throughout the building. I wish this had been clearly stated by our staff at your check-in, and it is also listed on the keycard packet that contains your guest key. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us otherwise and hope you will visit us again in the future.
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel location is great - downtown, next to campus. Beyond that not much else. The rooms are not particularly clean - mold in the bathroom. Parking spaces are few and incredibly tight. For some reason this hotel allows cars to park in the hashed off areas directly in front of the elevator doors and in handicap space access aisles - certainly the ADA folks would object to this practice. Front desk staff is very slow. AC units are loud.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy parts of your stay with us and encourage you to contact me for a complimentary stay. In the future please know that if there is any aspect of your stay that you do not like, we are happy to move you to another room or upgrade the room type to insure your satisfaction. Please know that we do not allow guests to park in front of the elevators or in handicapped designated spaces.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

The Atherton Hotel is an older hotel that does need some updating. Despite some of the previous responses from management My room was slightly better than average. They only cleaned my bathroom floor 1 day of the 6 I was there and I do not believe they changed the sheets at all. For the last 4 days I placed a magazine under the sheet and it was there every night when I returned. The front desk was helpful with any questions I had and helped me out. I enjoyed the location to campus, quiet enough and close enough to where I had to go. The Internet was spotty some days and I had to continually sign in, but this is not a negative. I would rather error on side of caution.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It is our goal that your stay with us will not only meet your expectations, but exceed them. If I can ever be of assistance to you during future visits to State College, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me directly at 814-231-2100 ext. 118.

Been to The Atherton Hotel? Share your experiences!