“Local Institution” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Pitsburgh
“Local Institution”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good friendly service and they get you in quickly, even if there is a line. Not getting gourmet food here - we typically have breakfast or a quick sandwich.

Visited April 2013

Moscow, Pennsylvania
“Part of the Penn State Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had lunch here around 2:00 on a Sunday. Had a short wait to be seated. Service wasn't bad, considering it was a full dining room. Our meals weren't bad, but not great. Two of us had the Fish and Chips, daughter had Tuna Melt. Would pick something different next time, considering the large menu they have. It's more about the tradition of eating here I think, so we'll be back! However, next time, I'll be asking for a booth by the window, we were stuck all the way in the back, almost in a corner. Doesn't have quite the same atmosphere back there! So ask for a window seat!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Johnsonburg, NJ
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had heard good things about this spot and were looking forward to trying it on a recent visit to Penn State. We went on a Saturday a little before the dinner crowd and our party of six was seated quickly.
The meal started out promising - drink orders were promptly taken and arrived quickly, and appetizers and some mighty tasty soups followed. But it was a bit downhill from there.
The gap between appys and entrees was a bit long, and the entrees themselves were disappointing. Four of us ordered burgers, and none were done as ordered. Odd, because the menu bills the burgers as "satisfaction guaranteed." To be fair, we didn't raise the issue with our server, so I can't say if the situation would have been rectified. But an 0-for-4 isn't what we expected.
A baked mac & cheese dish was pretty much stuck to the plate. The only hit was the South West Turkey Sandwich.
The service, which started out strong, also tailed off at the end.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montoursville, PA
“Dinner with our PSU students”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Food was good, service was good. Nice evening out.

Menu is vast. I'm sure you could literally get anything you wanted. We always go with the burgers and the onion rings.

Visited January 2013
Macungie,PA
“Not what I remember”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have eaten here several times in the last few years. Most recently had lunch here with a friend on a Sunday afternoon. I ordered a Thai salad with tuna filet. The tuna was cooked nicely, medium, but bland. The salad was nothing but Romaine and a microscopic amount of shredded carrots. The dressing was a microscopic amount of sesame oil. No tang, no seasoning, no vinegar. I asked the waiter if I could have more on the side, and asked them to mix the dressing. It came to the table in a creamer pitcher. Still 90% oil, and a tinge of soy sauce. Still no ginger, vinegar common in Thai salad. I was starving, so put salt on it and ate. My friend had the worst spaghetti and meatballs I have ever seen. Two tiny meatballs, most likely frozen and pre-made. Sauce was just tomato, no cheese, garlic, basil, oregano. Ick.

I have tried grilled sandwiches, burgers, none are spectacular. This place is so historic and a State College Penn State tradition. Really, it can do much better.

• Visited January 2013