“Went from being my go to place to a place I will never go to again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Autoport Bar & Grill

Ranked #56 of 213 Restaurants in State College
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
State College, Pennsylvania
“Went from being my go to place to a place I will never go to again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

When you serve a salad with rotten Avocado's and don't have the decency to remove it from the bill, it is clear you don't care about your customers! I have spent more money in the Autoport in the last 6 years than any other restaurant in State College. It has been sliding downhill for sometime, but the customer service tonight has insured two things, that I will never go back and that I will tell all my friends that the Autoport is a waste of time.

This was my go to place and my favorite place, but some management flunky has cheapened the food, raised prices, and decided that customers don't matter. I miss the old Autoport with the Drums for tables, with live music Thursday night's, with good Appetizer specials, and with employees that cared.

To the management of Autoport, was it wise to charge a customer for a salad with rotten ingredients? I am such a state of disbelief at the indifference. You guys sucked tonight and my dining dollars will go elsewhere. I hope the owners see this and affect some positive changes. No one should ever be charged for rotten food!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
“State College Tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a gem in State College that most locals wish the tourists wouldn't find. The most negative thing I can say about the Autoport is on football weekends and other "event" periods such as Arts Fest, it gets chaotic and it loses some of its "Cheers" feel. I am a local who has eaten here over a dozen times. The latest would be July 2013, but consider this a compilation review.

If one ignores the back café (a great place for breakfast), there are three distinct places to eat, a different feel to each. The main dining room is a very classy, fine-dining room, complete with a fireplace, piano, and somewhat Victorian furniture. The bar/terrace area has a hustle/bustle feel, where it never seems too noisy (except the afore mentioned event weekends), but you feel "part of the action." If you're a music fan, score one of the tables near the small stage where some very, very find music plays, or better yet, get a couch, order tapas, and make a casual evening of it. The outdoor area is great on a hot summer night, and if the hotel is full and folks are swimming in the pool, it gives a backyard picnic feel to the thing. This can be harsh during the winter, but even in the coldest months, I've enjoyed having drinks by the fire pit on the porch outside.

All-in-all, I don't agree with previous comments about the joint needing "sprucing up." It seems to me the newest owners have worked hard to not loose the original feel during the polishing phase.

The service has always been stalwart. No attitude, quality waitresses, knowledgeable and friendly bartenders. Because of the enormous reliance State College has on the University and the student populations it serves and draws employees from, staffs at restaurants this close to the action are pretty much defined by management. The owners are often present, well-dressed, polite, smiling, and making periodic checks on the customers. I was most impressed with a gentleman named 'Greg' who came in with a group and sat down, eating at his own restaurant, dressed to the teeth. I questioned the waitress on a dish that may have eggs in it (I'm a vegan), and this man walked over, identified himself as the owner in charge of the kitchen, and offered to explain any menu item per its ingredients. He quickly identified three potential courses for me to eat, wished me bon appetite, and went back to his table. I thought it cool that he eats in his own restaurant, and that he would take time from his private function to walk me through the vegan choices. Service in this joint is A+.

As for food, my wife and I were both fans of the tapas, which I didn't see on the menu this time around. I've enjoyed all their wraps and the chicken wings in past, non-vegan life, and my wife recommends the wraps and the crab cake sandwich. This time, I had the hummus plate, which was excellent vegan fare. The artichoke dip was exceptional. I ordered off the menu, at Greg's suggestion, and the cook constructed me a Cobb salad without the egg and meat. Greens and veggies were fresh, the dressing awesome. My wife had the Mediterranean Pizza and was quite pleased. Our guest who was in-town had the surprise of the evening, a SPAM sandwich (I kid you not), which he was drawn to because, well, it was SPAM. The bread was fantastic, and they served it with a gruyere cheese and Dijon. He's attempted to make this at home and can't get it right.

The bar selection is out of this world, the prices fair.

I recommend this restaurant to anyone coming into town that wants a "local experience." I used to recommend Champs, but they've slid downhill under new management (the owners son), while in the last decade, this place has thrived under new management.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Try the soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Every time I go to the Autoport, I order French Onion soup and Shrimp Cocktail - that's all I'm saying

Visited March 2013
Blairstown
“Great Tuna Dinner Salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Tried this restaurant twice, the Tuna Wasabi salad was excellent, the service was fine and the atmosphere is fine. I would go back.

Visited July 2013
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Great service//nice quiet atmosphere//good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I were seated quickly, and waited on promptly. The atmosphere is quiet and romantic. Our waiter was very friendly and efficient. The food was served fairly quickly, and it was very good. All-in-all a very nice [not too pricey] dining experience.

• Visited July 2013