“nice place great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 213 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“nice place great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

stop there on Sunday afternoon October 27th my son my friend and myself great place. food was delicious large burger very tasty with french fries on the side. service was excellent by college students. clean and very rustic looking would like to stay longer had long ride home. been there in the past will be there in the future when I'm in the area

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bogota, New Jersey
“Not what we thought it would be.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food was not of the best in town in fact it was bad. The fish and chips were bland, the shepards pie was horrible. The service was slow . The beer tasted old,maybe they don't clean ther taps right or class's. Lets put it this way we will never go back again

Visited May 2013
Hershey
“Poor Service/Horrible "Chips"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The restaurant was not crowded at all as we were even told to sit wherever we wanted. Although our interaction with the waitress started out very amicable, it quickly turned sour due to her attitude and language. My wife said, "excuse me" as she was nearby and the waitress replied, "What?" in a very bothered tone. She was very short with our entire party of eight and made us feel like we were bothering her by being there to help pay her salary!

The food was mostly good, but what they pawned off as "chips" were absolutely horrible! They look good (sort of like cut and fried potato chips), but they has zero salt on them and had the texture in your mouth like styrofoam! Trying to lace them with salt to make them edible was no use as the salt just fell off due to their texture/hardness.

I drink Boddington's regularly at home as my beer of choice. What they gave me in one of the "flight" (samplers) was not Boddington's. It was carbonated like American beers and not creamy like the real thing is.

I should add that the parking spaces are way too narrow also. We'll go to one of the many other very good restaurants in State College the next time we visit our kids.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Royalton, Ohio
“Could've been an awesome evening, but we got Debbie Downer for a waitress.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

So... we dropped off a PSU student and needed a quick bite before hitting the road again at 9 pm. One of our student "moving men" said he loves Kildare's and this will be his 3rd day in a row there. We ordered the stack of pretzels (3 skewered twists w/ 3 dips - spicy stone ground mustard, honey mustard, and cheap melted cheese). Two people ordered burgers which they devoured. We also had wings (tasty; good heat), house salad (eh, basic), and Rueben eggrolls (good, but extremely crisp with some chewy-due-to-dryness meat). This experience had the potential to be great, but our waitress was less than thrilled to be there. We ran out of water twice, we waited quite a while for food (experienced diner says he never waits that long, plus heat lamps would explain the crisp, dry eggrolls), she started to remove our wing plate despite one person still eating the last wing plus carrots/celery still on the plate. Because there were other completely empty plates, I think it's a case of one being convenient to her side of the table as she passed. The clincher on my opinion of her service was the bill -- turns out burgers were on special!! Had she bothered to MENTION that, we certainly would've ordered more burgers! In summary: I will overlook sticky floors & tables (which Kildare's has) anywhere near campus, But when a couple gray haired folks come in with male students on a Tuesday night, the tip potential is high enough that better service should've been rendered. The food was good enough for us to try again, but this visit was strike one.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Everything you want in a bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Kildare's is a small chain of Irish pubs in PA. I've been to the ones in State College and Scranton and both ate outstanding. In addition to Guiness (which they do know how to draw and serve) they had Magners - a great Irish cider that I have not found elsewhere. Bulmers is what they normally export, but it's sweeter for the Americans. The onion soup is s bit different using 5 onions and is very good. My favorite is the tower of pretzels with 3 dipping sauces, but you can just get cheese or mustard or BBQ if you prefer. They usually have entertainment too.

• Visited June 2013