“Perfectly acceptable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in State College
Bethesda, Maryland
“Perfectly acceptable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We were in town for Penn State's THON weekend. My husband's daughter was dancing. THON is held at the Bryce Jordan Center, so this hotel was very convenient by car.

I stayed at the hotel mostly doing work, so I was happy for the free internet and having the lounge and restaurant downstairs. The beer was cold and the food hot and tasty, so I was very pleased. I was also well rested.

The hotel is very big, so I had to hike to my room, and I was not the last room on the hall.

So, over all, an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Twinsburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

They need to use a heavy dose of fabric softener. When I stayed there for a teachers conference Jan 23-26, when I laid in my bed, there was so much static electricity that every inched I moved I got zapped. I had to get a damp wash cloth and pat down the sheets so I didn't get zapped. It was not a fun trip. If it happens again, I will start staying at the Hampton or Hilton. I will be there March 13-16.

• Stayed January 2011
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

The hotel was interesting and we got the sense that it was a melting pot for the state of Pennsylvania. The view was terrific and the staff courteous and friendly.
However, somebody needs to redesign the lobby. Each time the door opens a frigid draft covers the entire lobby and during winter it is very uncomfortable to sit there. This seems strange considering the effort that went into placing a fireplace in the lobby, but the money might have been better spent redesigning the lobby. A gentle reminder on the handicapped entrance that it should not be used in place of the revolving door would do much. People use the handicapped entrance only because the main door is poorly designed, but even that allows rushes of arctic air.
This hotel could also use a coffee shop where residents can sit with a computer or book and relax over coffee, tea or hot chocolate. The restaurant is far too busy for that.
The rates were reasonable. The staff was attentive, aside from the door and lack of coffee shop, the architecture was pleasant.
On our last visit to the area we stayed at a different hotel. The other hotel was not as exciting, and the view not as nice, but a much more comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Penn Stater and it far exceeded our expecations. Our family and friends had a wonderful time and continue to talk about how great the facility is. As a business traveler, I often stay at this hotel and am always happy with my visit. Our wedding reception however, was incredible. The event and catering staff is professional, courteous and totally dedicated to their guests. Not a detail was left unnoticed. I highly recommend choosing the Penn Stater for any reason - from overnight stay to special event.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Reservations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing such a special day with us! We look forward to seeing you again.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at the Penn Stater twice. We stayed in April during a weekend trip as well as Labor Day weekend for Penn State's first home football game. The rooms are very nice and modern. They are well equipped with small fridges, a great television and comfortable beds.

For game weekend, they were very well set up with a free shuttle going to and from the stadium. We had a parking pass for game day parking but we decided not to use it. The shuttle was much more convenient. It left starting 3 hours before game time and continued until 2 hours after the game. We could go tailgate with friends but didn't have to worry about all the gameday traffic ourselves!

As others noted, the noise transmits unfortunately well from the halls to the rooms. And you need to know that it's not walking distance to campus. But aside from those negatives, it was definitely well worth the stay. We'd stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I was pleased with my recent stay at the Penn Stater conference center hotel. The front desk staff were courteous and helpful. My room was very nice and clean and had all new modern/sleek looking furniture. They also offered free wired internet - I didn't have an ethernet cord so the front desk let me have a loaner for free - this was a big plus since most major hotel chains now would charge you for both the service and the loaner cable. The hotel gym is a bit cramped but had several cardio machines, free weights, and a cybex training station; although it was small every time I went it was empty so it was not a problem. The only downside to the hotel is that it is a drive (not a walk) to campus, but they do have a free shuttle service that is willing to take you around town.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at the Penn Stater for one night and didn't spend too much time around the hotel. The rooms are nice and clean, everything was fairly new. The hotel is located by itself in Innovation Park which is part of PSU, just across the highway. It is pretty isolated and you will need to drive anywhere you are going. The free continental breakfast had slim pickings, so we opted to go elsewhere in the morning.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Penn Stater Conference Center? Share your experiences!