“Recommend staying here” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
The Poconos, Pennsylvania
“Recommend staying here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was here for a conference for two days. The room was clean and comfortable. I have read several other reviews suggesting asking for a room by an elevator - absolutely take that advice! There must be 80+ rooms (easily!) down one hallway alone, so it is a never-ending walk if you are in a room not near an elevator. Slept well the first night, but was awaken by noisy guests walking down the hall, chatting, around 11:30pm, the second night. I didn't complain about the noise, though, because it's not the hotel's fault that the people were rude and inconsiderate.
I utilized the shuttle service one time; the shuttle driver, Micah, was very courteous and prompt. I definitely suggest utilizing this service instead of venturing on your own. This Conference Center is in the middle of no-where, and about 8 minutes from the downtown area. There appear to be about two main 'strips' of roads downtown with various pubs and restaurants and it looked like it would be an inconvenience to find a parking spot - just let the shuttle driver drop you off and pick you up.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was here for a conference and the hotel was very nice, clean, spacious rooms, the staff all around was great. We utilized the shuttle downtown several times and they were very accommodating, even though there were several hundred of us in attendance for the conference.
The restaurant in the Hotel was very good, probably the best place we ate during our stay. The beds in the room were the most comfortable I have ever had at any hotel.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is staying in State College, it's a little out of the way, but worth it.

Room Tip: From what I saw, all the rooms looked good. The hotel does have a strange layout, so if you're...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The food was consistently excellent and the staff were prompt and courteous. The room was clean and spacious, and everything worked. There are several outdoor areas with benches, rock gardens, etc. that are smoker-friendly. Overall I was very pleased with my experience.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The Penn Stater is a great place to stay. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious with lots of drawers and closet space. the shuttle service was excellent. I would diffidently
recommend staying there.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Castle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've been staying at the Penn Stater for years now. Several times per year for business. Huge place. Best parking is behind the entrance! Clean. Lots of electrical outlets in the room. There are a few places to eat within the hotel. There are also shuttles to take you into restaurants or shopping downtown for free. Will also schedule and pick you up!

Stayed July 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I went to Penn State for a recent conference, and stayed in the Penn Stater for three days. The hotel was nice, it was clean, the lobby was very nice and modern. The room was spacious, and clean, but one of the things I had an issue with was the bedding. There was no comforter on the beds, just a fleece like blanket in-between two sheets. The first night I was there I had to take the blanket from the second bed in the room (I was in a double room by myself) and cover myself with it because it was so cold.
The other issue I had was with a member of the cleaning staff. I was in the gym, and trying to go though my normal workout. I brought my water bottle and a towel, as I always do. I'm sitting there in the middle of my set, and a lady who was carrying towels out to a table shot me a really dirty look. Said something, and pointed to my water bottle. I shrugged it off and went about my business. About 20 minutes later, I'm in another part of the gym and I have weights in front of me, and she comes past me again, this time, along with the look, she angrily points to me, then the weights, and then to the garbage bin, all the while saying something which I couldn't hear since I was listening to music. Now let me be clear, I am a VERY clean and courteous person when I work out, I am very conscious about grunting, and I always clean up after myself, so believe me when I say there was nothing out of place.
Now, did either of these things make my stay not enjoyable? Not really, I'm a big boy, I can shrug rude people off. But as someone who has worked in Customer Service before, I know how important it is to not be rude to the paying customer. Will I stay here again? Probably, but when I stay at a hotel, the last thing I expect is to be "harassed" (for lack of a better term) by a member of the staff when I am just going about my business.

Room Tip: The second floor has suites, and if you're coming in July, beware of the Arts festival, or you m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I attended a conference at the Penn Stater conference center. The staff from airport pick up to drop off was superb! Clean comfortable rooms, great food, safe environment. No need to leave the complex!

• Stayed June 2014
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
We can't thank you enough for sharing such a great recommendation! I am so glad that you enjoyed your event and hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again!

Been to Penn Stater Conference Center? Share your experiences!